What to eat at this restaurant? Calorie counts are insane!

Options
13»

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Call ahead and ask if you can bring something. A lot of times, if you are part of a function, they are willing to look the other way if you ask politely. You could also explain that you are on a very specific diet.

Barring that, try bringing a bottle of salad dressing in your purse. 99% of the time, restaurant salad dressings are full of fatty badness. You might get an odd look or two when you pull out the bottle, but you can joke about how you saw someone do it in a commercial once and thought it would be fun to try. ;-)

I'm going straight from work (with other people) so I don't have time to stop somewhere and bring something else, but the salad dressing thing is a good idea for another time, I'll have to do that!
    How can a place not have anything remotely healthy? It's more common than you think. I ate out ALL last summer while I was in a hotel with my husband and WOW. I learned where to AVOID fast.

Yes you're right, I don't really eat at these chain/bar & grill type places often so i guess I didn't realize - most local places have at least a few options that are healthy (or seem so anyway!) and every salad isn't loaded with cheese and croutons etc, just surprising to see that not one thing on the menu was remotely healthy without being customized!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Bailey's Pub right after work for an event and will be there for 3+ hours, so have to eat dinner there. I'll have about 700 calories left - but even the salads are more than that (doesn't look like they have any light dressing)! Can anyone give me some advice on what to eat? (Please don't say just eat, cheat, whatever - I'm looking for specific recs on what I make healthier/fit into 700 cals. The food isn't very good so I don't want to splurge on something that doesn't even taste good). I don't eat seafood but everything else is fine.

I was thinking the Jamaican Chicken- 921 calories, Two grilled chicken breasts, marinated in sweet soy sauce, pineapple and ginger. Served with black beans, rice and fresh steamed broccoli. If I don't eat the rice, can I subtract the rice calories (big easy rice says 423 calories, or rice pilaf for 300)?

Menu:
    http://www.foxandhound.com/party-starters.aspx

Nutrition info:
    http://foxandhound.com/Portals/0/pdf/fhnutrition.pdf

I know I'm being anal about this but its the only way this works for me, so if anyone has any helpful advice its much appreciated, thank you!

Why not eat just 1/3 or 1/2 and take the rest home to enjoy the next day? That's what I do. I also skip the bread and dessert.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It's a pub. Were it me, I would just accept the fact that I'm going to go over calories, try not to go completely overboard, and adjust the next few days to make up for it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Call ahead and ask if you can bring something. A lot of times, if you are part of a function, they are willing to look the other way if you ask politely. You could also explain that you are on a very specific diet.

Barring that, try bringing a bottle of salad dressing in your purse. 99% of the time, restaurant salad dressings are full of fatty badness. You might get an odd look or two when you pull out the bottle, but you can joke about how you saw someone do it in a commercial once and thought it would be fun to try. ;-)

I'm going straight from work (with other people) so I don't have time to stop somewhere and bring something else, but the salad dressing thing is a good idea for another time, I'll have to do that!
    How can a place not have anything remotely healthy? It's more common than you think. I ate out ALL last summer while I was in a hotel with my husband and WOW. I learned where to AVOID fast.

Yes you're right, I don't really eat at these chain/bar & grill type places often so i guess I didn't realize - most local places have at least a few options that are healthy (or seem so anyway!) and every salad isn't loaded with cheese and croutons etc, just surprising to see that not one thing on the menu was remotely healthy without being customized!
    They have Oil and Vinegar - I'm sure that's just in a bottle, so you can put it on yourself, and is MUCH better than any pre-made dressing, on the side or not.
  • highdimension
    highdimension Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just order the Jamaican Chicken and eat half of the plate. Save the rest for lunch the next day, or you can order something that doesn't have any wheat, dairy, eggs, sugar, white starches (as most of those ingredients are calorie packed). You could also do a salad and make a dressing out of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and dijon mustard - a delicious and healthier option compared to the calorie rich salad dressings they have.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Order the salad without cheese, and no dressing. Take your own dressing with you.
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Salads have cheese, bacon, and croutons in them, which you could opt to leave out. Also, if you opt for the grilled chicken without the marinade, you could have the rice and the broccolli and that would probably be closer to 700 calories. Have you also thought about reducing your calories for breakfast and lunch to leave yourself a few more for dinner?
  • Jose2828
    Options
    Eat before you go to the restaurant, then have an appitizer for entree when you get there.
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Order your Jamaican Chicken, don't eat the rice, and eat only one of the two breasts. Ask for all sauces on the side.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Personally - I would order the steak with broccoli and water or tea and eat half of it. That way you have a meal for some other time too. It will also keep you under your goal and give you very little carbs.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you want, cut it in half, and have them pack the leftovers right away. 2 delicious meals for the price of one, and half the calories.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    and if you think you'll still be hungry, order a side salad.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You could get the salad without Cheese and Bacon, and like others have said, ask for salad on the side. Also ask for a Lemon wedge(or 2) and use that as the majority of your dressing. Or you could always bring your own dressing!

Or have a cup of Chili-368 Cals with a Side Ceaser-298 Calories(without dressing)

Have you looked at the sodium in the Jamaican Chicken? Wowza!! 3146 Mg's...That is insane! I would skip that entree! Or get it without the sauce.

Is ordering off the Kid's Menu an option? The Cheese Pizza is 515 cals and 27 g of fat.

Good luck and enjoy your evening!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    say you are allergic to dairy - ask for no cheese, and no dressing. They will pay more attention if you say it's an allergy. So have unbreaded chicken with your plain salad. That's very simple. Bacon, cheese and crutons are obviously where those calories are coming from. So just ask for without those