Is the South Beach Diet a good idea?

Options
A friend of mine is on the south beach diet, and lost 14lbs in the first 2 weeks. I was wondering if this is a safe diet..

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is a safe and healthy diet. It relies primarily on "whole" foods that are naturally filling.

Just don't rely on the SBD-brand pre-packaged/frozen foods.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think SB is one of the healthiest eating plans available. The food plan is designed to keep your blood sugar levels even throughout the day which helps prevent sweet cravings and hunger. It works for me. A lot of people lose a lot the first two weeks on phase one if they have been eating poorly prior to following it. The first time I did SB I lost 11 on phase one, then it slowed down.
    ETA: I believe SB is a great plan for a lifelong lifestyle.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if it has the word "diet" in it... it isn't good.

Stick to your cal deficit and watch what you eat. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet to drop a few (and gain back!)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 is two weeks of very strict eating and results in weight loss from mostly water loss, and a few of those pounds will come back as you transition into phase 2.

Personally, I like South Beach and lost 30lbs on it a few years ago. I cooked all of my own food, and I learned to have a healthier relationship with food such as vegetables I'd never tried before, whole grains like quinoa and brown rice, and lean meats. It's very anti-sugar and refined whites, which isn't a bad thing to avoid anyway.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    South Beach might have the word diet in it, but it's about teaching you a new way of eating that you're to keep with you the rest of your life. The side effect is weight loss. I'd suggest reading up on it a little.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if it has the word "diet" in it... it isn't good.

Stick to your cal deficit and watch what you eat. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet to drop a few (and gain back!)
    anything you eat is your "diet" whether its general diet, reducing diet, gaining diet, crohns diet, diabetic diet etc etc etc
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    South Beach might have the word diet in it, but it's about teaching you a new way of eating that you're to keep with you the rest of your life. The side effect is weight loss. I'd suggest reading up on it a little.

Several years ago they changed their products and I think some of the books to read "South Beach Living". Really doesn't matter what you call it, it's a healthy lifestyle. Phase 3 is for life and is very liberal.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the phases. But the overall idea is fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think SB is a very good and reasonable way of eating.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've known that has tried it couldn't sustain it. Several of them lost significant amounts of weight. Everyone of them gained it back plus some.

I've never done it. I don't like diets that tell you to eat certain things or don't allow you to eat certain things. I'm more of the mindset all things in moderation while making healthier choices.

Edit: for someone with a lot to lose 14lbs in the first 2 weeks is common when they enter any type of restrictive calorie change. Whether or not they keep it off depends on what they are doing and if they keep doing it.
  • julschneider
    julschneider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Processed foods have little nutritional value, and "diets" is not a good idea. Changing your eating habits and your activities habits are what you should be doing. Eat mostly fresh fruits and vegatables (fresh being the key word). Also eat lean meats and whole grain productions (not multigrain or "made with" whole grain products). Read, read, read about nutriention.

Remember, if you can't pick it, pluck it, milk it, or shoot it, don't eat it! And you can't do any of those with a microwave dinner. :-)

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Everyone I've known that has tried it couldn't sustain it. Several of them lost significant amounts of weight. Everyone of them gained it back plus some.

I've never done it. I don't like diets that tell you to eat certain things or don't allow you to eat certain things. I'm more of the mindset all things in moderation while making healthier choices.

Edit: for someone with a lot to lose 14lbs in the first 2 weeks is common when they enter any type of restrictive calorie change. Whether or not they keep it off depends on what they are doing and if they keep doing it.
    I've never done it either, but incorporated a lot of the principles when I lost weight (and kept it off) 12 years ago. I still refer to phase 3 from time to time.

My boss did it. He lost about 40LBS about 12 years ago and has kept off about 30LBS by keeping phase three "in mind" while he cooks and orders.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Processed foods have little nutritional value, and "diets" is not a good idea. Changing your eating habits and your activities habits are what you should be doing. Eat mostly fresh fruits and vegatables (fresh being the key word). Also eat lean meats and whole grain productions (not multigrain or "made with" whole grain products). Read, read, read about nutriention.

Remember, if you can't pick it, pluck it, milk it, or shoot it, don't eat it! And you can't do any of those with a microwave dinner. :-)

Good luck.
    SOunds like that would fit nicely with south beach.
  • kittyx2
    kittyx2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am trying it. Today is day 1 of Phase 1 for me. I'm a total carb & sugar addict & I'm now insulin resistant as a result of many years of eating too much refined sugar & not enough protein. I also have a lot of weight to lose but I'm determined to change the way I eat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd say no because it's a 'diet'. You don't want a diet. You want to change your life style. So unless you want to keep doing that diet all your life, it's not a good idea. If you're willing to stick to it forever, sure, I'm just not sure how many people have the willpower for that. And what will happen when you start eating the forbidden stuff again?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'd say no because it's a 'diet'. You don't want a diet. You want to change your life style. So unless you want to keep doing that diet all your life, it's not a good idea. If you're willing to stick to it forever, sure, I'm just not sure how many people have the willpower for that. And what will happen when you start eating the forbidden stuff again?
    And that's the point. you DO follow south beach phase three for the rest of your life. And what that basically means is: whole grains, lean meats, vegetables, fresh fruits.... AKA: food.

PS: I just reviewed your posts. Guess what: Like most folks here, you're on a diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am trying it. Today is day 1 of Phase 1 for me. I'm a total carb & sugar addict & I'm now insulin resistant as a result of many years of eating too much refined sugar & not enough protein. I also have a lot of weight to lose but I'm determined to change the way I eat.
    OP: while south beach isn't "low carb" consider joining the low carb forum. Slow carbers (like those following south beach) are welcome and supported there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And that's the point. you DO follow south beach phase three for the rest of your life. And what that basically means is: whole grains, lean meats, vegetables, fresh fruits.... AKA: food.

PS: I just reviewed your posts. Guess what: Like most folks here, you're on a diet.

Does south beach allow for cookies, chocolate, full fat cheese, beef? There's 'diet' and 'diet'. If it's just to follow a general guideline, sure. I've just had bad experiences with diets that really restrict what you can eat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Does south beach allow for cookies, chocolate, full fat cheese, beef? There's 'diet' and 'diet'. If it's just to follow a general guideline, sure. I've just had bad experiences with diets that really restrict what you can eat.
    Of course it does. It suggests that you eat dark chocolate, because it's better for you. And recommends lower fat cheeses and cuts of meat. Whole wheat and fruit juice sweetened cookiesThat's a diet. So is: eating shakeology products rather than the cookies you really want to eat. So is counting your chocolate eggs and saying you had a "few" gummy bears "a while back". So is low fat substitutions to tweak recipes...Basically just swap lowed fat for slower carbs and you've got the same deal. My point: it's all a diet. The difference is, something like south beach gives you specific recommendations about foods. It doesn't give you recommended calories. In fact, you don't count calories at all on south beach. MFP etc give you specific calories and the often ignored macros. Some folks do well with calorie counting DIETS, and some folks would like to be told: eating whole grain breads is better than white breads.

It's all still a diet. And yes, the south beach phase three is just healthy eating. (with desserts, and cookies if you want them)

And time will tell if what you're doing now works in the long run. ALL of us are good at losing weight. Some of us will be good at keeping it off. The woman you replied to specifically said she wants to change the weigh she eats for the long haul. Perhaps this will be what works for her. Perhaps calorie counting will be what works for you. The diet that works for you.