Under active thyroid and weight loss

Options

Replies

• pumpkinmom3
    Options
    manselffitness - I will tell you that it is a complicated and difficult to diagnose and regulate disease. Diet effects it in an ever-changing dynamic and you will need to step-up your exercise to physically push through the slowed metabolism. I at 5'2 went from 140 to 175 in a year with absolutely no explanaiton and WITH increased exercise.

My doctors have done the tests and suggest medication but i am trying a 4 month natural regulation using diet and exercise first. You absolutely CAN regain control of your body again! I know how frustrating it can be - hang in there!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have all the symptoms of underactive thyroid, and awaiting blood test results. For the last year I have been working out 5 times a week and sticking to a 1250 cal diet and I have still gained nearly 14lbs !!! Feeling very depressed and frustrated :-(. My fitness trainer is at a lose as he has tried everything for me - diet, cardio,running,circuit training . I am only 4ft 11" and gone from size 10 to 12/14 !!!!! Please can someone give me any advice/help as I feel so alone and feel like giving up .

Please make sure you get the actual test numbers from your doctor, and not just their interpretation of the results. They probably just tested TSH, which is actually a pituitary hormone - and the "normal range" is hotly debated. If the number is over 2.0, then please demand further testing of your actual thyroid hormones - you want free (not total) T3 and free T4 tested.

I will say that 1250 cals/day seems pretty low for someone working out 5x/week?? I could see 1250 + a few hundred for your exercise calories, but if it's just 1250 flat then I think you need to eat more.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lost about 45 lbs in 6 months and then in the last two I couldn't lose anything. I was constipated and tired. I went to my doctor when I noticed that I had a lump where my thyroid is and I told him I haven't been losing weight. He wasn't impressed because I hadn't gained weight and I didnt present in the "usual" manner of the disease...but I explained I had been steadily losing and then it just stopped when I noticed this lump. You really have to be your own advocate sometimes! I pushed for some blood work and an ultrasound.

After a high TSH test and a positive antibody test and a ultrasound on the nodule( no cancer:smile: ) I was told I have Hashimoto's!

I actually was losing weight so that I didn't get all the illnesses my mom has (hypothyroidism being one of the problems). I am just starting meds this week and hopefully it will help with the symptoms!

Thanks to everyone who posted! Great information!
  • Dreamygirl3
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you about needing higher dose. I know that feeling about blood lab result keep coming back in "normal range" I honestly believe that it is just doctor's "normal range" chart because I know my dose is too low and I have been trying to get doctor to increase my dose which he would not. I am struggling to lose weight.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    If you're getting the correct dosage of mess u shouldn't have a problem as long as you're following calories in and out.
  • SophK90
    SophK90 Posts: 56
    Options
    Hey, I am on day two of mfp. My thyroid has been underactive since i was 4 years old (i am now 22) after having a baby 3.5 years ago i gained loads of weight and have never fully lost it, my thyroid has also been unstable ever since having my child too.
    Would be interested in seeing how you/anyone else is doing?
  • dawnyb9
    dawnyb9 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid in 2007 when I was 15, it started or was picked up when I had glandular fever. It slowly afterwards bettered itself and I was on a very low dose. This slowly has crept up over the last 6 years. My weight was never really a problem (and I wouldn't deem it as one now). I've always been very sporty and gone to the gym, I'm now a fitness instructor and well on my way to becoming a personal trainer in the next few months. I finished uni just 5 months ago and decided it was time to get to full fitness and get my body looking how it should as a PT I am 5'4 and weigh 70kg this is mainly due to muscle especially in my legs as I play football. I have been able to tone my muscles and get stronger, I've also increased my ability in cardio but I'm struggling to get my body fat down, I tend to eat a very low carb diet and try to keep out bad fats. But due to working as a cover instructor and odd work hours rushing from one leisure centre to another I always struggle with getting the right stuff eaten at the right time, this usually means every few weeks I crash and just eat rubbish for a couple of days I then feel rubbish and get back on it. I know it's possible to lose, last year I worked away for 3 months living in temperatures of 30+ eating pot noodle and rubbish and drinking most nights yet I still managed to cut down a load of body fat to the point the start of a six pack began to show on my stomach. I'm a bit lost how to get back to that now though. Anyone help?
  • courtneylyn1
    courtneylyn1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's very possible :) I was diagnosed at 18 w/ Hashimoto's and gained a good 42 or so pounds(in very little to no time). Myfitnesspal is one of the few things that has helped me. Here I am 7 years later and I am at a decent weight! It feels great! Good luck to you! You can do it!

PS If you are suffering from being tired still with an under-active thyroid and Dr's are telling you that your levels are fine, please get your Vitamin D checked. I went for a very long time feeling overly tired and achy until one Dr finally figured out that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. She put me on vitamins and within a week I was myself again. Only took me a full year to find out though. It was miserable!!
  • kirstinboo
    Options
    Hi junekucks why did you do to loose weight?
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid, and the fatigue really doesn't help with weight loss. Nevertheless with the correct dose of synthroid/L-thyroxine I've lost 12kg in 12 months, going from a BMI of 26 to 20. When I cut out gluten (delicious, fluffy, soft, gluten...) the weight falls off me, and I have a lot of water retention after eating gluten. Gluten is especially bad for you if you have Hashimoto's or Grave's disease: http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer and had both removed...It's hard but you can do it...just have to stay away from gluten...I know i love it too!
  • georgiampark
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid since I was 8 years old (2002/2003).
    I also find a huge struggle with my weight. When I was diagnosed I was already in adult sized clothes (size 12) at the age of 8... Terrible I know! But as I got put on my medication my weight steadied but I struggled to lose it. When I was in school I started being very conscious of my body and weight and ended up going down to a size 6 or child sizes (at the age of 15). I ended up getting an eating disorder because I was so unconfident in myself, and I knew if I ate anything it end up gaining weight all over again. I over come this eating disorder by the age of 18, but now I am struggling again. I'm 12stone, in a size 12, but with a 35" waist, which I got told means I'm over weight and my health is at risk. Now I'm more down than ever about my body. I just found out I'm pregnant too, so now as I'm having to eat well to support the child I'm gaining weight rapidly (I'm not eating for two, just eating healthy and a balanced diet) and I'm worried after the baby is born I'm going to struggle even more. I really need someone to help me be in a better mind frame, and does anybody know if it is harder to lose baby weight when you have an underactive thyroid?? Sorry for the ramble.
  • georgiampark
    Options
    Sorry I meant in 2001/2002!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hasimototo's, and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers. But I did lose.
  • wannagonavy
    wannagonavy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My mom has an under active thyroid and when she's taking the medication she loses weight faster than I do and she's had eight kids! But then again she's breastfeeding and her doctor was super aggressive with her meds. Maybe have your dosage checked?
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As long as you're properly medicated you should be able to lose.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos, have lost 33 lbs. so far and still going strong. For years I tried to do it through exercise alone, doesn't work. High protein (lean protein) controlled carbs, low fat is working for me very well, along with exercise (I have gone back to doing t-tapp becasue that really takes the inches off and tones me, I lost 4 sizes doing that in the mid 2000's then I stopped and gained weight back). It really takes a lifestyle change, you have to find the diet that works for you and watch what you eat, and the find the exercises you like/want to do and keep at it. I am not giving up till I get to my goal (goal is when I look in the mirror wearning a bikini and am really happy with what I see) but I am also learning how to keep it this time, and getting the fat off makes everything else so much easier. I also feel full of energy and very strong, you know if you don't get a handle on it, it will keep affecting your health for the worse. My blood sugar went over 100 for the first time in my life at my last checkup, that was a wakeup call to me, I don't want to go down that road. Hashimoto's is the worst when you are still really in the roller coaster phase, being a little older I can say it does get easier as there are less ups and downs, I also like natural thyroid hormone as opposed to synthetic. My best advice: find what works for you and stick with it, do what you can do for life, because that is the commitment it takes.
  • gemmacordellsmith
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just been told I have an under active thyroid today by my gp in England but there is a problem I am in Bulgaria so now I have to find a gp here to help with tablets. That is gonna be great fun. Xx
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease, which is an underactive thyroid. I too have struggled with weight [among other things]. I've been able to lose weight in the past but the moment I become inactive again, I put it right back on.

I'm now making a total life change with both diet and exercise in an attempt to combat this wonderful condition I was so wonderfully blessed with! Ha!

I wish I had some advice but I too am struggling for advice. Perhaps we can motivate each other!

Good luck!
    Hi, I have Hashimoto's too, and it is actually autoimmune thyroid disease. It is like fibrosis of the thyroid, you cycle between hyper and hypo for years before you ever get to the place that you are hypothyroid (underactive) for good (you only get to that place once enough damage was done to the thyroid). I am not sure why you think it is just underactive thyroid, but underactive thyroid is actually the end result of it after many years of progression.

Oh, and one more factoid, the estimates are 85% of all people with underactive thyroids have autoimmune thyroid disease.

Regards.