soda-yay or nay

Options
Just wondering what peoples general thoughts on soda were? I used to drink dr. pepper like it was job. Haven't had one in about 3 weeks and have an occasional diet pepsi now instead (1-2 per week)
what are your thoughts? is even 1-2 too much? or does it not matter. i've seen a lot of conflicting answers on a google search.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I drink 0.5-1.5 liters per day of diet soda.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much soda, but I'll have one or two once a month...regular soda, not that yucky tasting diet stuff. :wink: Sugar and I don't get along well, but I still like it anyway. *sigh*
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    i don't mind diet soda... but if it's dr pepper it has to be the regular stuff. diet dr pepper is gross
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't had any sort of soda (Coke, Sprite, etc) since March 2009 (which was long before I joined MFP when I was doing the Slimfast diet). For me, I just see soda as a drink with no nutritional value and empty calories; therefore, I don't see any need to drink it. I used to drink several Cokes a day before I quit, so I was surprised that it has had no affect on me.

I personally don't think sodas (diet or regular) are that good at all and I really think that since they have no nutritional value that they should only be consumed in moderation or not at all.

I only drink water, milk and tea (occasionally).
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero whenever I want and usually don't stop until I run out of rum. :drinker:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, new record- 7 posts into a thread on soda and no crazies with "SODA IS EVIL AND YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DRINK SODA!!!" posts yet.

I drink 6-8 diet cokes a day. And have for 20 years. Before that I drank about the same amount of regular coke. Hasn't killed me yet.
  • andreaw5
    Options
    Like you, I loved soda. Still do. Coca-cola was my poison. Now, I am drinking club soda as a way of "stepping down" from my soda habit. Sometimes with lime, sometimes alone. It's been about three months. It's probably not the best, but it's way better than my original soda habit. Good luck.
  • gabesgourmet
    Options
    I am TOTALLY addicted to diet mtn. dew. I love it dearly...I don't drink coffee and my diet dew fills the caffeine gap BEAUTIFULLY. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM diet mtn dew.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda in July. It was the best decision I made :happy:
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a soda in probably two years and don't miss it a bit
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just tend to think of it this way, Why bother to put something into your body that has ZERO nutritional value? Hell naw, not worth the calories for me.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Havent had soda in almost 7 yrs... No real reason..just prefer nice tall glasses of ice water instead
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners give me headaches, but I really like diet coke, so I will occasionally have it with rum. Regular soda has too many calories, so avoid it so I can eat something else. If you have leftover calories, I guess a soda once in a while is not bad.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least a can of diet Pepsi/Coke every day. I am more concerned about the effects on my teeth than on my diet. That's why I'm cutting back and drinking mainly water now.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm SO addicted to coke zero, but have given it up cold turkey now (two days ago) - so hopefully I can stick at my no-soda regime :) I'm filling up on water as my drink of choice and I already feel less bloated and healthier. In about a week I know I'll be going crazy wanting a coke zero, but I know I can stick at it if I put my mind to it. I also don't want to end up like this woman http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/8295275/Too-much-Coke-killed-mum who lived close to me and has been in the news a lot lately since her death. Also, I don't want lots of dental work ;)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and went sugar-free one and a half years ago. I have lost 175 pounds since then. Now I drink green tea, and I feel a LOT better! Before that, I had a major coca cola addiction, and was tired of lugging big ole cartons of them home from the store, not to even mention the cost! I am SO glad I tossed it from my life!
  • Oldtyme72
    Oldtyme72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add me to the Coke Zero list. Cherry Coke Zero is bonus when you can find it.

Nothing crazy. Maybe 12 oz a day.

Regular soda is EVIL! (lol)
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero whenever I want and usually don't stop until I run out of rum. :drinker:

mmm...love rum!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    a sixteen ounce serving of soda has my entire sugar allowance.
    So I tend to stay away from pop all together.

That and, the more you drink, the more you tend to want, it's just a sabotage for me. I'll take a few sips every once in a while, but that's it.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, I say nay. 1) Regular soda is empty calories and mainlining sugar, causes spikes in blood sugar, crashes later and cravings for more. Most of what is in it is non-food crap - why consume non-food? 2) Diet sodas have plenty on non-food plus artificial sweeteners that are way sweeter than sugar, so even though no calories, drinking them does not shut off the craving for sweets. By staying away from heavily sweetened items, whether real or artificial, I find that I can taste and appreciate real food more. Plus - did you ever do the experiment with the cola and the penny when you were a kid - scary!