Fasting

Options
I know, I know, fasting can be hard on your body, and if you don't eat enough you'll most likely faint. I just have recently been eating one meal a day, and way under 1000 calories. I feel healthy, and I haven't had any trouble with feeling faint, dizzy, tired or hungry. In fact, I feel kind of high after not eating all day. How long can I keep up my meal a day diet? And, is it worse for me than I think it is?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Fasting is actually good for you. The benefits range from increased insulin sensitivity to increased lifespan. 1000 calories is probably too few for you though. I only eat one meal a day and I've been doing it since the summer. I love it and I find it much more satisfying and convenient. I don't have to worry about what I'm going to eat until I get home and when I get home I get to eat a huge meal.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    I agree that under 1000 cals is wayyyy too little. But I have about 20 lbs to loose, so I'd increase my intake once I lost the weight. It IS convenient not having to worry about eating while you're out, and by the time you get to dinner, you are SO hungry, and food tastes so much better.

I didn't know that fasting was actually pretty good for your body, either. Thanks for the info!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Uncontrolled fasting can be bad for women, since it can cause decrease in bone density and loss of period but you don't have to worry about that unless you've lost your period for 3 months. You should look into a controlled fasting procedure such as intermittent fasting.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine.... and I will not get to the point where I stop having periods, that seems really unhealthy. Plus, since I take birth control, I'm not sure that it would happen. :P
    What if I were pregnant?! That is a worse deal for me than anything else, since I detest children. ( SORRY, MOTHERS! )
    What kind of fasting procedures have you heard of ?
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's not fasting unless you consume a normal number of calories after. Otherwise it's called starving.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine.... and I will not get to the point where I stop having periods, that seems really unhealthy. Plus, since I take birth control, I'm not sure that it would happen. :P
    What if I were pregnant?! That is a worse deal for me than anything else, since I detest children. ( SORRY, MOTHERS! )
    What kind of fasting procedures have you heard of ?

Intermittent fasting at link below.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Oh I've been eating a big meal at night, but nothing else. So I'm not starving. Unless, of course, I have a faulty definition of starvation ;p
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, fasting can be hard on your body, and if you don't eat enough you'll most likely faint. I just have recently been eating one meal a day, and way under 1000 calories. I feel healthy, and I haven't had any trouble with feeling faint, dizzy, tired or hungry. In fact, I feel kind of high after not eating all day. How long can I keep up my meal a day diet? And, is it worse for me than I think it is?

You eat one meal a day that is way under 1000 calories? What you are describing is anorexia not fasting. As another poster menioned, fasting generally involves you eating a substantial amount after a certain period of time, not slowly starving yourself. This is an eating disorder and will be doing more damage to your body than you can possibly imagine. That feeling of being high is because your brain is being starved of oxygen because there isn't enough fuel in your body to make it work properly. This is not good. Are you exercising? If so, then you need extra food to make your body effective. What you are doing right now will be damaging your heart not to mention putting stress on other organs that are all having to work harder to compensate for not having enough fuel. If you only have 20lbs to lose then you really don't need so high of a caloric deficit. Once you start eating normally again you'll likely put it all back on. If you're really interested in fasting then look at intermittent fasting as another poster has suggested. Quite simply though, what is more important to you. Losing weight or your overall health?
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Um, you're not supposed to eat like that every day. Fasting is supposed to be a one or two day ordeal, known as "intermittent fasting." You're not doing your body any favors eating that way for long periods of time, that's for sure. I suggest you eat normally..
  • norm1539
    Options
    I thought fasting was not eating while the sun was up, generally for religious reasons.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Hah, I'm FAR from anorexic.
    But if I eat one giant meal at the end of the day ( around 700 to 800 calories), it kinda fits into the fasting category... the links on intermittent fasting are very interesting, though.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Um, you're not supposed to eat like that every day. Fasting is supposed to be a one or two day ordeal, known as "intermittent fasting." You're not doing your body any favors eating that way for long periods of time, that's for sure. I suggest you eat normally..
    Wut. She's not doing 5:2. Most IF protocols involve daily fasts. For example, 20/4 is 20 hours fasted and 4 hours fed.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hah, I'm FAR from anorexic.
    But if I eat one giant meal at the end of the day ( around 700 to 800 calories), it kinda fits into the fasting category... the links on intermittent fasting are very interesting, though.

one meal a day, under or around 1000 calories is considered anorexia and you might just be in denial about that. If you didn't realize that was anorexic behavior and do not want to continue what is considered an anorexic eating pattern than you should have no problem choosing to happily eat more calories through out the day. If you choose not to you may want to stop and think about talking to some one about why you are choosing to eat the way you are.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Wut. She's not doing 5:2. Most IF protocols involve daily fasts. For example, 20/4 is 20 hours fasted and 4 hours fed.

The problem is not with the timing of the meals. I love IF and see no problem with 20/4. The problem is that she is consistently eating between 700-800 calories in the time she is eating every day. This is simply not enough to fuel the body and will be doing damage to her health. The fact that she thinks it's ok is denial bordering on an eating disorder. Also, this feeling she has of being high at the end of the day is the precursor to fainting which is what she defines as a symptom of under-eating.

OP, if waiting until you get home before you eat works for you then that's fine, but just make sure you're eating enough in that window. You need to work out what the right amount of calories is needed for you. A maximum of 800 a day is not it.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

The problem is not with the timing of the meals. I love IF and see no problem with 20/4. The problem is that she is consistently eating between 700-800 calories in the time she is eating every day. This is simply not enough to fuel the body and will be doing damage to her health. The fact that she thinks it's ok is denial bordering on an eating disorder. Also, this feeling she has of being high at the end of the day is the precursor to fainting which is what she defines as a symptom of under-eating.

OP, if waiting until you get home before you eat works for you then that's fine, but just make sure you're eating enough in that window. You need to work out what the right amount of calories is needed for you. A maximum of 800 a day is not it.

Do you have a link that says feeling high is a symptom of not eating enough? It sounds like to me that she could be getting an insulin rush because she eats only once a day, at the end of the day, which is normal coming off of a fast.

• tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Yeah, actually the definition of anorexia is loosing enough weight to be underweight ( which I am not) and REFUSING to maintain a normal body weight. So, no, I'm not in denial about my eating. It's not as if I only drink water, or juice, or tea during the day, and then only eat celery sticks at night. :/ Also I'm about 200 lbs, so obviously I LOVE to eat. Moreover, I really do like how I look right now, and if being overweight weren't hard on your body I'd probably stay right where I am, and go back to eating my delicious donuts, top ramen, hamburgers and all the other great things I usually indulge in. But SINCE IM FASTING DURING THE DAY, I can't have those foods. I am also training my body to crave food less than it does.
    I don't mind eating more calories in a week, and in the future. I'm really looking for info on a fast lasting a week to a week and a half.
    Also, considering that I am just starting this fast, and it will be going on about a week, and I don't plan on doing it forever, your comments are a little off base.... even if they are well meaning. I do appreciate your concern!!!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It's not fair to characterize her as an anorexic as she would have to be underweight.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Thanks, hun. :)

I do not have an eating disorder, and I really sympathize with people who do. Eating disorders breed a lot of shame, guilt, misery and fear- and I would never EVER suggest disordered eating to anyone.
    I am only interested in doing a fast with fewer calories for a week to a week and a half tops, then go back to my 1,200 calories a day. Fasting as a jump start to weight loss does NOT equate to an eating disorder. People are very quick to judge, without understanding the extent of a situation, and suggesting diagnoses without information not only is unfair to me, but it is unfair to those who actually suffer from eating disorders. Sadly, anorexia is one of the worst mental disorders, with the highest mortality rate seen in mental illness. People with anorexia are obsessed with their food, to the point where it dominates their entire life.
    Luckily for me, this is not the case. I have just noticed that when I fast during the day I feel slightly high, which is weird. By stating that I was in no way suggesting that I wanted to be "high" all the time, or that I was "starving" myself to achieve this feeling. It was just an observation, and I was wondering if anyone else who had fasted knew what I meant.

So, if anyone would like to give me suggestions, tips etc, without telling me I'm anorexic, or that I am choosing good looks over health, etc, I am open. Otherwise, please just move on.
  • somrok
    somrok Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Take it from me - eating one meal a day was the only way that I could control my weight when I was young. It completely screwed up my whole system. My digestive system really got messed up. Not to mention the huge slowing of my metabolism. If you want to get FAT and SICK - keep on doing what you are doing. If you want to be slim, healthy, fit with a great metabolism and wonderful "insides" then you need to eat properly and exercise well. Remember the older you get the more your metabolism slows naturally - you are helping it to slow prematurely by eating this way.