<
    non "believer"
  • 123yenta
    Options
    Best idea yet! Good luck :)
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up dairy this year. I usually give up something I feel like I've been indulging in or something I feel like I need to have better discipline in. Not just food but activities as well.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Goodbye Facebook - - - Baseball season starts April 1 st - Go Mets !
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    I'm giving up processed food and negative thoughts. I also intend to spend more time with my family and endeavor to reach the end of this Lenten period as a more spiritually connected person.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Giving up giving up
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Kidnapping

Thanks God! I want to go home now!

I never said I'd let you go. Now shut up and put the lotion on!!!!!!

That **** is hilarious!!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Since there are a few practicing Catholics in the thread, i have a question.
    Why do people say they're giving up meat for Lent and then eat fish? is fish not meat? am i missing something? Is there a certain definition of meat that doesnt include fish?
    Serious questions here, hubby works in the fish department of the local grocery store and works boat loads of hours during Lent because people give up meat but eat more fish, and neither of us understood how that works.

Catholics refrain from eating meat from animals that are warm-blooded since those are the kinds of animals that were used for sacrifices and also the same category as the human flesh of Jesus. During Lent and on days of abstinence from “meat,” Catholics are to recall the sacrifice of Christ and refraining from eating “flesh” from warm-blooded animals helps to direct our focus to the sacrifice of Jesus when we think of what we are not eating. The fish was an ancient symbol of Christ (think of the Ichthus symbol) and therefore both refraining from warm-blooded flesh and the consumption of fish reminded them of Christ (not to mention the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves and fish and its connection with the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper).
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    FYI (seeing as I created this thread) I'm not religious in the slightest... Never have been, never will be... But that doesn't mean I can't CHALLENGE MYSELF by giving something up for lent. Jeez.....