Snacks that are 29 calories or less

Options
Ok, MFP peeps - (yes, I said peeps)...have my entire day planned menu-wise (and unable to alter it), and will need a snack between lunch and dinner - lunch will be around 1, and dinner won't be until after 8 pm because of my kid's school play. I have 29 calories only left for the day. Any suggestions for 29 calorie snacks that are somewhat edible? I am already having a clemintine (35 pts), but will need something else. It is a long, busy day, and a stretch from 1 to 8 pm without food will be impossible, and the scheduled clementine will not be enough. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i would perhaps allow yourself 50 to 100 cals for a sufficient snack.

I cannot think of anything with such few calories which will be filling or tasty alone!

I was thinking celery sticks (1 cup is about 15 cals) and low fat hummus to dip?
  • kimberninja
    Options
    That is a wonderful suggestion! Didn't think of that. It will set me over limit a little bit, but I can try to pair back on something else during the day. Thank you!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Try not to obsess so much. Going a couple hundred over will not in any way set you back in the long run. You need to take care of yourself.

How many calories are you giving yourself for the day?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Miso soup is around this many cals. Carrot or tomatoes? Vegetables are low calorie and satisfying.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats for taking us to a new level of precision!

Green peppers, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe. All are low calorie and filling.

A word of caution on religion and MFP. This site is great but getting too obsessed with cals in/cals out at this level can become a bit destructive.

Watch the trands in your overall fitness and nutrition. For example, 29 calories don't matter nearly as much as skipping working out 10 days in a row.

Good luck!
  • kimberninja
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1200 calories, which I find very difficult, because up until the other day I would eat whatever I wanted and however much I wanted. I have not worked in exercise yet...only three days into this, and while I know that adding exercise will increase my avail. calories, I HATE exercising, and am angry enough at having to scale back on my eating (I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and still always looked almost anorexic). I figure it's best to take baby steps and one thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed with hatred and quit - once I see some progress with a few pounds dropped, I think I will want to exercise and improve on that.
  • kimberninja
    Options
    I do love tomatoes, red peppers, and cukes! I could cut some of those up...thank you!
  • jhawk84
    Options
    Fuuuuunk Myfitnesspal... from what I've read on bodybuilding.com, this tool really isn't that effective in counting your proper caloric intake. But it does make it a bit easier to follow for macros and whatnotzzzz. Just eat something caloric dense like celery and maybe a half tablespoon of natural Peanut Buttah... Skippy with Honey fodayzzzz lol
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions...I am gonna pick up some cantelope or pre-cut fruit salad on my way to pick up my kid for her school play. I appreciate all the help! Not working out yet - I just started (3 days ago), and I hate exercising, and hate having to give up my past eating habits. Decided to take it one thing at a time so I don't get angry and stop trying...even though I know that working out will increase my caloric intake amount.
  • kimberninja
    Options
    A friend suggested the peanut butter and celery thing, too...I might have to give that a try...thank you!
  • jhawk84
    Options
    yeah, everyone hates the thought of working out, but once you start it, then you'll find how addictive it can become. Good luck with your endeavor
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Tomatoes and raw veggies I like...thank you for hte suggestions!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to assign the absolute minimum number of calories because it is assumed you will be earning more through exercise. Even if you are not exercising, it is very likely that you can lose weight eating more.

You should avoid eating below your BMR. Go here www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr to find out what your number is. I'm 130 pounds and even on days I don't exercise I could still lose weight eating 1600.
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Interesting! I will check this out! Thank you!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    small kiwi is 33, 3 peices of wafer thin ham, some cherry tomatoes, strawberry sliced up, low fat rice cakes, weight watchers sachet of hot choclate, button mushrooms, half a bag of spinach with lime/lemon juice as dressing, a quarter of a bag of prawns! !
    These are all under 30 aslong as you have the right amount! and can satisfy a craving for a snack!
    Hope this helps x
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Yup...this site said I could take in 1682 calories a day and still lose weight, while MFP says 1200 is my daily target. So I don't feel so bad going a little over here and there until I start working out. (and that 1682 is if I am sitting all day). thank you...you eased my conscious quite a bit!
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1200 calories, which I find very difficult, because up until the other day I would eat whatever I wanted and however much I wanted. I have not worked in exercise yet...only three days into this, and while I know that adding exercise will increase my avail. calories, I HATE exercising, and am angry enough at having to scale back on my eating (I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and still always looked almost anorexic). I figure it's best to take baby steps and one thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed with hatred and quit - once I see some progress with a few pounds dropped, I think I will want to exercise and improve on that.

I was the same way. I did basic stretching and walking to go with my 1200 cal until I lost enough weight to exercise a bit more. Just remember when you do start exercising heavy to increase your calories! And remember to keep your protein up, you don't want to lose muscle. You lose muscle, it makes maintaining more difficult.
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you are really getting that hungry then maybe 1200 cals per day just isn't the right plan for you? Lots of people on here eat a lot more and still lose weight. I can see you are only 3 days in - maybe have a look in the forums and look for in place of a roadmap - it shows a different way of looking at losing weight - might be better for you? Not fun to be hungry all the time - and 30cals to last from 1pm to 8pm sounds horrific to me :wink:
  • kimberninja
    Options
    It does! Thank you!
  • kimberninja
    Options
    Good advice! Thank you!