Anyone else not got much to lose? eg 10lb

Options
Wed 02/13/13 12:24 PM

Hi, In my profile pic I am 12 pounds less than I am now, I wan to get back to this weight in time for my holiday in April.
I am on week 6 of 16.
I need 1700 cals a day to maintain (im 5'3") so im eating 1200 cals a day at the mo in the hope ill lose 1lb a week.
I know I need to have a deficit of 3500 cals a week to lose 1 lb a week.

Any one else already slim but have few pounds to lose?

The reason I want to lose weight is to get rid of some of the fat on my stomach, hips, thighs and chin :)

May be worth mentioning that I have a desk job and log all exercise.

Is 1lb a week reasonable? If any has done the same sort of thing when did you notice a difference?

Thanks

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i want to lose about 10-20 lb
  • arobinson15
    Options
    Hi there! I need to lose about 10. I have lost three so far in one week. I have a desk job as well! I find tracking my calories is super helpful, eating about 1200 - 1400 per day. Trying to go to the gym 5 days a week. I also have an upcoming trip (one year anniversary in Mexico) in middle of March.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am working to lose about 10 pounds. Started in January with a 30 day/5 pound challenge and have succeeded! It sounds like you are going about this the right way and, with committment, you can do it!
  • Dawnicita0318
    Dawnicita0318 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm there too- I'm at the last 10 lbs of where I want to be as well.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think 1 pound a week is a reasonable goal. I am also trying to lose at 1 pound a week, give or take. I am hoping to be 17 pounds slimmer by summer and have lost 9 so far. Maybe after that I will make a new goal or maybe I will decide that is enough for me. I already feel less uncomfortable so that is a benefit. I try to fit in exercise about 5 times a week. If I don't get a walk in on my lunch break, I force myself to do something at home (treadmill or exercise bike) just to get some activity in. I have a desk job all day as well.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    We are the same height and the same "maintain" calories. I have about 7 more to go. To be totally honest with you, 1lb a week at this point is a pretty big stretch. I go for half a pound a week and have been very steady and successful losing that much. Just be careful that you don't under eat in an attempt to get to your goal too quickly.
  • when you have about 10 pounds or so to lose, its better to go slowly
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've got those stubborn "last 10 pounds." And then I'll re-evaluate to see how I like my results once I get there. The weight just flew off me, but these last 10 are going to be difficult....
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The reason I want to lose weight is to get rid of some of the fat on my stomach, hips, thighs and chin :)
    May I suggest looking into heavy lifting?
  • jhawk84
    Options
    For sure, for sure. I have about 10 pounds of unwanted fat to deplete from myself haha.. god dang stubborn lower belly fat won't go. I'm looking at about a pound maybe pound and a half each week. So hopefully around the beginning to middle of summer, I'll be sitting happy.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Just a word of warning based on my personal experience: be careful cutting your calories too low when you are close to your goal. I also had a small amount to lose when I joined, and set my goals to 1lb a week. Went great for about 3 or 4 weeks, was very happy with the results, and then...I hit a BIG wall. I was exhausted all the time, couldn't work out, couldn't get off the couch. At this point I realised my body just didnt have enough energy reserves to keep cutting at that level.
    So I bumped my calories up a little, joined the gym and started lifting weights - suddenly I felt awesome again and the last of the weight literally just fell off me - I actually had to start eating higher than MFP's maintenance level to stop losing more than I wanted.

Everyone is different, not trying to say your current way won't work, just thought I would mention this incase you find yourself not getting the results you want - that last little bit of weight can be the trickiest to get rid of, just a matter of finding what works for you. Good luck!! :)
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    when you have about 10 pounds or so to lose, its better to go slowly

I think I should just carry on as I am and if i dont lose 1lb a week wont worry, I find 1200 feels like a good amount for me... I sometimes strugle to eat this much.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last 8 lbs. It has been slow going compared to the rest of my weight loss. I'm 5'5 and have my cal. goal set to 1420 but I try to eat back my exercise cals. 1200 cals worked for me until the last 10 lbs and then I stalled. Upping them and adding more exercise is working so far :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 101.5 today with a body fat percentage of 20% (although I think my Tanita scale may underestimate). In theory, I'm trying to lose 5 pounds, but I'm short (5'2"), older, and not exercising regularly. It's quite hard. When fully committed, I keep my calories around 1150.

Many days I have to content myself with the thought that at least I'm not overweight.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 14 lbs in 2 months for the beach.
  • emma155
    Options

NO....

lol joke you can suggest that but im not sure its something I could easily get into my routine.... :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Heavy lifting without weight loss will only make those areas (excepting the chin) look bigger.
  • emma155
    Options
    Im going to keep going as I am for another two weeks then mix it up a little with exercise, I expect to hit a wall at some point but 6 weeks in I still have alot of energy
  • emma155
    Options
    Just a word of warning based on my personal experience: be careful cutting your calories too low when you are close to your goal. I also had a small amount to lose when I joined, and set my goals to 1lb a week. Went great for about 3 or 4 weeks, was very happy with the results, and then...I hit a BIG wall. I was exhausted all the time, couldn't work out, couldn't get off the couch. At this point I realised my body just didnt have enough energy reserves to keep cutting at that level.
    So I bumped my calories up a little, joined the gym and started lifting weights - suddenly I felt awesome again and the last of the weight literally just fell off me - I actually had to start eating higher than MFP's maintenance level to stop losing more than I wanted.

Everyone is different, not trying to say your current way won't work, just thought I would mention this incase you find yourself not getting the results you want - that last little bit of weight can be the trickiest to get rid of, just a matter of finding what works for you. Good luck!! :)

Im going to keep going as I am for another two weeks then mix it up a little with exercise, I expect to hit a wall at some point but 6 weeks in I still have alot of energy
  • Kmackenzie22
    Kmackenzie22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I want to loose about 10-15lbs and gain muscle.