Why do some people bother?

Options

Replies

• toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You should bring your gym payment statement to the gym next time and show them that you pay more for the gym than they do, and then let them know how you want them to spend their time there.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You should bring your gym payment statement to the gym next time and show them that you pay more for the gym than they do, and then let them know how you want them to spend their time there.

Yes, because holding a loud phone conversation in a small public space, and then playing your music without headphones is completely acceptable social behavior, and I'm the one being a douche for commenting on it. Please. :huh:
  • lisarfrank
    Options
    I hate how everyone is glued to their phones PERIOD! It is just rude. There are a lot of places I think that phones/iPads should not be allowed. :tongue:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many threads there are like this. I went to a large and quite busy gym for 7 years and I never recall seeing this - or I didn't care enough to notice.

Ours is a small community gym, with a grand total of 2 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 ellipticals, a weights machine, a step and an ab rocker.

It's hard not to notice when someone is being a douche, even if there is someone on every machine, as there was this morning.

Ah that makes sense. I first thought more people = more chance of seeing it, but it makes sense the opposite is true. That would be agrivating since you can't just work around them!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't care what other people do at the gym as long as they are out of my way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but if you are under 30 and seemingly a normal weight for your height there is the teeniest chance that walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 2.5 mph while talking on the phone and text messaging just might not be giving you much of a workout. And I don't appreciate dirty looks when my being out of breath interferes with your phone call. You don't like sweaty panting people? Stay out of the gym - or at least don't take the machine next to mine.

Oh, and the ab rocker is for working your abs, not for having a bit of a lie down and sending text messages, while every now and then rocking out a half hearted crunch or two with one hand on the frame and the other still text messaging.

And in closing, seriously, get some headphones. We're not all as big a fan of Pink as you are.

N.B. I'm aware sometimes there are legitimate reasons for slow workouts. But given the phone call and text messaging, I'm going out on a limb and concluding this isn't one of those cases. When you're a douche at the gym, you lose the right to the benefit of the doubt.
    And this is why my Wellness center doesn't allow phone conversation on the gym floor or on cardio machines. This was a membership suggestion and supported by the majority (through poll) and is strictly enforced by signs that lead up to the gym/cardio and by staff who happens to see anyone carrying on phone conversation in those areas. Phone conversation can be done on our landing area (outside above the pool area) and down in the lobby. Now texting may be next on the proposal if it is complained that members are occupying machines too long.

IMO, if you can't get away from your phone (with the exception of having your actual workout on it or listening to music) while you strength train, then the focus isn't as clear. Being preoccupied by what texts you're receiving or what the latest news is interferes with a good workout. Save it for the cardio area where if you're on for 30 minutes, you can then browse through.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to what other people are doing other than looking for something entertaining to watch....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Honestly... as long as people aren't taking up the machine I want to use, while lazing around texting or talking on the phone in the gym... then I could care less if they are on their phones... They will get the results from the work out effort that they put in... as will I.

Side note though... I DO actually really like Pink... remind me to put some more of her stuff on my ipod! But I do agree with the headphones thing... not everyone likes what you do.
    The point is the EVENTUALLY they may get in your way or invade your hearing space if allowed to continue. Ever have a cackling laugh that irritates the hell out of you going on for 30 minutes while you're doing cardio?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    LOL....ab rocker....LOL
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My gym does not allow cell phone conversations in the fitness area and the staff will definitely approach someone and tell them to stop.

I've just never understood why anyone lets a device dictate their life to them. Smartphones are great tools, but they are just a tool. They can be put away, they can be turned off. You aren't required to respond to a text right away.

When I get to the gym I like to listen to some music and just focus on my workout. I am purposely unplugged.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Just a bit of the "other side". I am a social worker and on call 24/7. I head to the gym and 3/4 of the time I get an 'emergency' call or text. I have to respond. If its something I can do quickly I don't want to have to leave the gym to take care of it. I try to keep my eye out and make sure that no one else is needing the machine I'm using and if I have to speak the the person on the phone I find as quiet a corner as I can. I'm not trying to be lazy and sit there and text, I'm working. Also, I use a Jefit program to lift weights so I'm consistently futzing with my phone to enter my stats during my rest period. I'm only saying this becuase so many people are so quick to judge others here on the message boards about how lazy others are when they are on the phone or texting while working out and I wanted to offer a different way to look at it.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Complain to management and see if they will make a 'no talking on cellphones' rule. My gym has such a rule.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Is that what's going on in gyms these days? Glad I don't go. People are so obnoxious with their f-ing phones!!!!!!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I hate how everyone is glued to their phones PERIOD! It is just rude. There are a lot of places I think that phones/iPads should not be allowed. :tongue:

THIS!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't care what other people do at the gym as long as they are out of my way.
    tumblr_inline_mgvw5nQ4vS1rt6jcb_zpsb8154ff8.jpg
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    MIND YA BIDNESS!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I love Pink.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hah! When someone is chatting on their cell next to me, I will start making loud grunting noises....unless there are serious exercisers on the other side of me....so, if that is the case, I will typically turn my head and stare at them (I can do this because I don't lose balance, otherwise, it would be pretty funny for everyone else). I love the responses I get from them...usually I get the "do you mind?" And I get to say, "Why yes, yes I do mind...go somewhere to exercise your mouth, treadmills don't work well for that."
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to what other people are doing other than looking for something entertaining to watch....

You're lucky then. I wish I could tune out annoyances but I can't.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just a bit of the "other side". I am a social worker and on call 24/7. I head to the gym and 3/4 of the time I get an 'emergency' call or text. I have to respond. If its something I can do quickly I don't want to have to leave the gym to take care of it. I try to keep my eye out and make sure that no one else is needing the machine I'm using and if I have to speak the the person on the phone I find as quiet a corner as I can. I'm not trying to be lazy and sit there and text, I'm working. Also, I use a Jefit program to lift weights so I'm consistently futzing with my phone to enter my stats during my rest period. I'm only saying this becuase so many people are so quick to judge others here on the message boards about how lazy others are when they are on the phone or texting while working out and I wanted to offer a different way to look at it.

I think that's rather different than what happened this morning though. This women took a 15 minute phone call, and had the sheer brass balls to flick me dirty looks and irritably switch the phone to her other ear when my breathing got heavy. The texting I mention just because it's ridiculous - not because it impacts me in any way. She blatantly wasn't tracking workout stats.

To all those who say "I don't pay any attention to those around me", good luck ignoring this woman as she's chatting away. And when not chatting exposing us all to her music, which included profanity which not everyone wants to hear. You'd need the focus and meditative prowess of a Shaolin monk to block her out. Seriously, you can do whatever workout you want, at whatever intensity you want, but have some common courtesy towards others sharing a small space.