Does anyone cook on weekends for the week?

Options

Replies

• jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I literally fill my fridge to the brim with foods that are ready to eat. I even portion them out so I don't have to spoon out a serving each time either. It takes a few hours out of my Sunday, but it is definitely worth it. Here's just the tip of the iceberg of what I make:

Turkey Meatballs
    Avocado, Egg, Tuna Salad (for sandwhiches)
    Sweet Potato Bites
    Peanut Butter Protein Bars
    Baked Vegetables (Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Zucchini, Carrots)
    Potato Wedges
    Protein Pancakes
    Zucchini Patties
    Lentil and Carrot Salad
    Spicy Quinoa
    Chocolate Protein Muffins
    Bison Burgers
    Turkey Burgers
    Quinoa Tuna
    Black Bean Avocado Salad

Oh the list goes on and on and on...................

THIS^^ I do the same. The fridge is busting Sunday for the week. It is so worth it.

I would live to know how you make your spicy quinoa and sweet potato bites!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I do chicken and rice, as well as spaghetti.
    I portion everything out at the tim, so I can just grab and go in the mornings.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big batch of chili and then freeze smaller portions of it for other meals.
    Or I make shredded chicken in the crockpot, then freeze smaller portions of it - so I can just defrost some when I need it for a recipe.
    Also make a big batch of home made tomato sauce and freeze it - so whenever I want to make pasta I just take it out and heat it up in a pot.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This Sunday I made Italian turkey burgers (make turkey burgers with plenty of chopped veggies, serve on portabello cap top with marinara and Parmesan, serve with broccoli), homemade lara bars, breakfast enchiladas, chicken and blackbean sauce with veggies over riced cauliflower), and homemade doggy treats for pup. Can't leave him out!

Also made some trail mix and granola for the kids snacks. Once you are organized and have a routine, it starts to be super easy to plan. To go further I even saved some of the sauteed veggie mix I used in the burgers (onion, pepper, zucchini), and ground some of the turkey for burrito bowls, and to breakfast bowls (fried egg on top).
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Pretty much everything I eat is made on Sunday and eaten throughout the week. I keep it simple, it either requires a quick stir-fry or roasting for a couple hours. I don't like complicated cooking. I've made:

Cocoa-rubbed pork shoulder with pomegranate
    Chicken fajitas with tequila-lime guac
    Smoked chipotle and cheese chicken soup (kinda like chicken tortilla soup, but no tortilla and super thick broth + ton of veggies)
    A mix of different salads: asian seasame kale, cranberry broccoli salad, peach chicken salad, etc
    Turkey meatballs with various sauces...marinara, cranberry-orange, thai chili, etc
    Chicken larb (thai dish with ground chicken, chili paste, lime, fish sauce, ginger, garlic in a lettuce wrap)
    Moroccan chicken with cauliflower puree
    Greek stuffed bell peppers (ground lamb, feta, zucchini)
    Roasted cow tongue with horseradish cream
    Beer-braised lamb shanks with roasted brussel sprouts

All reheat exceptionally well in the microwave.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I get home from work hungry and tired, so the last thing I want to do is cook a meal. On weekends I make at least one thing I can have throughout the week: turkey chili, soup,a lean pork roast or roast chicken. My favorite is to make a big pot of spaghetti sauce, which can be used to top pasta, spaghetti squash (delish this way!), or to top a chicken breast wrapped in foil with vegetables and a sprinkle of grated cheese and baked for 25 minutes. I'll do several packets and they're ready to go for lunch or dinner. Good luck!
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my cooking day! Meal planning has been one of my biggest challenges, but it's absolutely worth the "inconvenience" during the week.

I typically cook 5 - 6 chicken breasts for lunches all week, and then something else to keep it new and fresh- I like making turkey chili or vegetable soup, since it's cold out right now, for either lunch, or dinner when I get home. In warmer weather, I make a huge tub of salad (I have zero patience in cutting up veggies for salad), and eat that all week with my lunches or dinners (add the dressing later, of course!).

I also try to keep some thin frozen tilapia fillets around, and a couple more uncooked chicken breasts, and loads of frozen veggies for quick and easy dinners. I'm typically away from home for 12 hours a day, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is spend 1/2 hour or more cooking dinner- I just want to eat!
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Two things I like to do for breakfast - oatmeal in a jar, and omelet bites. The oatmeal is the following in a small mason jar - 1/2 cup oatmeal, almond milk, and whatever you else you like - brown sugar, blueberries, cinnamon, agave syrup...in the jar, and ready to go the next morning. For the omelet bites, partially cook 12 pieces of bacon, and line muffin tins with them. Mix up eggs and whatever omelet-type ingredients you like - chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach...bake for about 30 minutes, and you have 12 portions of breakfast! I eat one with some fresh fruit in the morning, and I'm good to go til lunch!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I cook on the weekends for my lunches.

-Chicken pot pie
    -Chili or soup
    -Meat balls or meat loaf with peas, mashed potatoes, carrots
    -Lasagna
    -Baked chicken with peppers and onions
    -Quiche
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's Pie (sort of) with 1/2 Lb turkey to lower the fat and 1/2 lb ground beef so it still tastes good. Sautee some onions (and mushrooms if you want), add the meat, season to taste, and brown. Put some frozen peas/carrots in the bottom of an 8X8 pan, top with the meat. Top with some mashed potatoes, sprinkle with Parmesan. A (sort of) Shepherd's Pie.

Eggplant Rollatini - Bake your eggplant sprayed on both sides in pam on a cookie sheet until it's soft. I fill mine with ricotta, spinach, and mozzarella (and a slice of ham of I feel like it). Roll it up, put sauce on it, and bake it in the oven for an hour. There will be a TON of liquid in the bottom that needs draining when it comes out of the oven.

Chili - YUM

Any type of stew

Roast Beef - Get the meat cooked and any veggies that go with it only take a few minutes to steam in the microwave.

Cook a pack of chicken breasts ahead of time and then reheat to serve with any microwaveable frozen veggie.

Eggplant Lasagna - Cook the eggplant as above for the rollatini then use it as the noodles to layer with meat (or not), mozzarella, and ricotta. (You'll have to drain that too).
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    On Sunday night I always boil enough eggs for breakfast for the following week. I also make a large pot of some kind of bean soup or stew. I take that for lunch every day. I make up low fat ranch dressing using nonfat greek yogurt and spices. I use that for dipping veggies as well as putting on potatoes. I have a bag of turkey breasts that I cook for supper with vegetables and potato. Potatoes are the easiest thing to cook. I put them in the microwave at work or at home for 5-6 minutes let them cool a little and eat with salsa or my home made ranch dressing. I also cut up a bunch of veggies to take to work or to use as snacks right after work. I also eat apples and other fruit during the day. They are no prep at all. I also like to have a 100 calorie snack of almonds or walnuts. I do all this on sunday so that when Im feeling lazy I dont have to put a lot of work into making any meals.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    On the weekend I make crockpot meal bags (with a different dinner in each bag) and put them all in the freezer and pull one out each day. Super easy dinners!

Also sometimes I will cook up a batch of quinoa, brown rice, or sweet potatoes to last me for the week.

I hope this helps!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I literally fill my fridge to the brim with foods that are ready to eat. I even portion them out so I don't have to spoon out a serving each time either. It takes a few hours out of my Sunday, but it is definitely worth it. Here's just the tip of the iceberg of what I make:

Turkey Meatballs
    Avocado, Egg, Tuna Salad (for sandwhiches)
    Sweet Potato Bites
    Peanut Butter Protein Bars
    Baked Vegetables (Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Zucchini, Carrots)
    Potato Wedges
    Protein Pancakes
    Zucchini Patties
    Lentil and Carrot Salad
    Spicy Quinoa
    Chocolate Protein Muffins
    Bison Burgers
    Turkey Burgers
    Quinoa Tuna
    Black Bean Avocado Salad

Oh the list goes on and on and on...................

^This is what I do. I also cut up all my raw fruits and veggies for snacks and lunches. It makes life so much easier during the week. At first I wasn't good at it. I started small and am building my recipes!
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go to the grocery on Friday afternoons then spend Saturdays cooking. I always put two soups in the crockpot (1 Saturday, 1 Sunday) for dinners through out the week and spend Saturday afternoon cooking lunches. I portion everything out so all I have to do in the morning to pack lunch is grab a container of whatever and pack a salad. It's made things so much easier. We have soup on nights we don't go to the gym and that's helped a lot as well.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I usually bake chicken (until it is BARELY done-it keeps it from drying out when I microwave it at work) and have it and steamable veggies for lunches throughout the week. I also batch cook for week nights because I am very busy. I cook spaghetti sauce and freeze it in small amounts that are about 1 meal's worth. When I reheat it, I cook the pasta in a separate pan. I also have been known to batch cook dried beans, chili, chicken noodle soup (without the noodles, they can be added when you heat it up).

In theory, I could do raw veggies, but the steamable ones are pretty affordable, and they are easy.

A side note, too. I don't have a microwave at home, so when I reheat frozen meals, it is on the stove or in the oven... there is plenty of time for me to cook pasta or put noodles in the soup, or whatever doesn't freeze well while it reheats.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Check out websites like Once a Month Mom and others that specialize in OMAC (once a month cooking) I haven't mastered the once a month thing, but I prepare everything for the week (or up to 2 weeks) on Saturday and Sunday while my little guy is napping. I work full time and the last thing I want to do is prep dinner instead of playing with my little man. When it was just me I would make soup, chili or tomato sauce on Sunday to grab during the week. My husband and toddler don't want to eat the same thing all week so I had to adjust.
  • Ridley1273
    Ridley1273 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts:
    2 fried egg whites
    1/2 slice reduced fat cheese
    English Muffin
    1/2 serving Hormel Deli-ham
    (About 217 calories)

Make on Sundays - wrap each separately in parchment paper, freeze in one big bag. Can microwave in a minute or so.

Lunches/Dinners:
    I make a ton of meals for the week and freeze them in individual tupperware containers
    A few standby meals that microwave quick and easy, are much cheaper, and way less calories than any fast "food":

Black beans with low fat sausage

Frozen Chicken Tenderloins (cooked per directions) - and a serving of brown rice or serving of any kind of pasta (Season the chicken tenderloins differently for each meal, that way there is better variety in your meals)

Tuna Cakes - bread crumbs, flour, egg, tuna. Pan fry.

Dirty rice with 99% fat free ground chicken
    Jambalaya with low fat sausage

Corn tortilla with ground chicken, enchilada sauce, Rotel (think tacos/enchiladas - just roll them up, bake them, and freeze)
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    make friends with your crockpot. boneless turkey breasts, turkey and chicken meatballs, soups, chicken wings and thighs, roasts, etc. on sunday, chop up tons of veggies into 1inch pieces (zucchini, sweet potato, red pepper, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever you like). foil two sheet pans, spread veggies out in an even layer and sprinkle salt, pepper, and parsley, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. roast in the oven at 400 for about 40min. you'll have enough veggies for the week, and each morning you can choose which protein to toss in your crockpot (usually with a cup of water to keep the meat from drying out and burning and whatever seasonings you'd like). every evening you'll have a home cooked meal.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes--Definitely! It makes life so much easier, especially when you're trying to fit in workouts, and when you and your family may all have different schedules.

The cookbook "Well Fed" has a bunch of excellent tips on what she calls a "weekly cookup" (also see www.theclothesmakethegirl.com) Now that cookbook is Paleo, but you could easily adapt the principal to whatever foods you like to eat. I try to set aside 1-2 hours every sunday to prep my veggies (clean, chop, & pre-steam if necessary), precook some meats (usually ground beef/turkey and cubed chicken--fish I only do fresh), boil some eggs, and make a quick salad (tuna or chicken) every sunday. (If you eat rice & pasta boil a few cups of each and they will be ready to go too.) That way no matter how busy I am my day can contain basically no cooking: hb egg & piece of fruit for breakfast, handful of lettuce, other veg, precooked meat=salad packed for lunch in less than a minute, and when I get home the prepped veggies and precooked meat can become stir fry, wraps, a pasta dish or whatever with the addition of whatever sauce/seasoning in less than 5 mintues.

It's quicker that drive thru, I promise!

edited to add: some weekends I make a breakfast casserole (eggs/sausage/veggies--kind of like a crustless quiche) and my husband and I will eat a slice every day for breakfast all week long.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do two things. I make a big pot of soup or chilli on the weekend. I will eat it that night and the next day either for dinner or lunch. Then I freeze several portions to use in the near future. This works really well for times when I don't feel like cooking or cleaning like tonight.

Secondly, I prepare extra of my dinner to use for lunch the next day. This makes lunch so much easier most days.

Most mornings I eat eggs but if I don't feel like cooking or I don't have the time I have cereal.