apple cider vinegar do I need it?

Options
2»

Replies

• mandys1979
    mandys1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The thought of ingesting it not in dressinging form made me cringe.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It's great for the scalp if you irritated it. Here's are some articles that mention some studies...I haven't dug deep into it so I'm really not familiar with it. In the first, he mentions studies related to diabetes. The second is from another site....not these are not medical journals...just starting points.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Hype.aspx

http://www.draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-tried-and-true-health-help-or-hype/
  • mandys1979
    Options
    I know that vinegar is awesome. I use it to clean, softner in laundry, soak my tired aching feeties and a mask for my hair. It works awesome for that stuff.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'd skip it. There has been limited research to show that 2 tablespoons before bed could lower the blood glucose of a diabetic by 4-6%. That's pretty much the only positive result that has held up.

I hardly think that outweighs the negative effects of it which include: wearing away teeth enamel, lowering potassium levels, and lowering of bone density.

Quick read:http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2
    Research behind it:
    Hill, L. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 2005.
    Medscape General Medicine, 2006.
    Korkmaz, A. Pediatric Dermatology, January/February, 2000.
    Ostman, E. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2005.
    Social Issues Research Centre web site: "1958."
    University of Texas M.D. Andersen Cancer Center: "Complementary/Integrative Medicine Therapies: Apple Cider Vinegar."
    White, A. Diabetes Care, November 2007.
  • mandys1979
    Options
    since Im not diabetic I will gladly skip it.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering about this, but more for a facial cleanser lol
  • lrr1203
    Options
    It makes a great drink with 0 calories or carbs, by adding a teaspoon or two to 8 oz water with a small packet of Stevia. It is actually pretty good (in my opinion) It was pushed by Dr. OZ as something that helps curb your appetite. It helps curb your appetite for sure.....though I feel it is somewhat temporary.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    People have been using it for decades to balance their pH, ease sore muscles, regulate diabetes, etc. I had two really old aunts who took 2 tablespoons every day in a glass of OJ and swore by it. But like anything else, it's good for some, useless for others.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I'd say dilute it with water prior to drinking it. I can't imagine it would be any worse than something acidic like limes, lemons or even coke. I'd say it depends on quantity. I couldn't find anything stating how much is dangerous as no one knows. If you don't need to take it in, then don't bother. I love using it on my scalp - best stuff EVER.

Monica
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    dilute it or brush your teeth after. in pure form it can break down your teeth enamel.

It's also low alkaline forming, which is good, but lemons & watermelon are MUCH much more alkaline forming and taste much better (eating the watermelon or squeezing the lemon in water)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    dilute it or brush your teeth after. in pure form it can break down your teeth enamel.

It's also low alkaline forming, which is good, but lemons & watermelon are MUCH much more alkaline forming and taste much better (eating the watermelon or squeezing the lemon in water)

LOL. Good one.
  • breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i was on a low carb diet a couple of years ago and the diet suggested getting organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" in it to help boost metabolism. it seemed to really help me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    taste pretty good ina salad
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use a spoon of it in a cup of water to rinse fruit and veggies, especially berries. Inhibits mold and allows berries to stay in the fridge for a few more days until you can use them.

I've also used it in salad dressing and have gargled with it.

Haven't seen any HUGE benefits though.
  • FirstCoastLisa
    Options
    i was on a low carb diet a couple of years ago and the diet suggested getting organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" in it to help boost metabolism. it seemed to really help me.

Same here, I do 2 TBSP of apple cider with "the mother" (whatever that creepy part is) in 8 oz of water with stevia or you can use honey. It is mainly to promote alkalinity in the body which is a much preferred state over being acidic. The vinegar promotes all kinds of good changes for many chronic diseases and yes, it does have a positive affect on metabolism.