Why do some people bother?

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Taking up machines while not using them/ not using headphones = totally see where this annoying.

Complaining because other members are not putting in a "hard" workout? Screw that. I busted my *kitten* today on the treadmill, mostly walking at a slow pace. Why walking? Because I've spent the last week and a half hacking out pieces of my lungs with a freakishly lingering headcold.

I am not there to judge how sweaty another person gets. Sometimes I'm there, limping along because that's all I can do. I'm sure others have this sometimes, too.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes. Why do people bother making posts about how they look down on someone else's treadmil workout while saying they don't want to get dirty looks for their own.

^ Exactly
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Yes. Why do people bother making posts about how they look down on someone else's treadmil workout while saying they don't want to get dirty looks for their own.

^ Exactly

So taking a loud 15 minute phone call on a treadmill - less than 5 feet from someone running on the next treadmill - is ok?

Playing your music in a shared space with no headphones is ok?

Getting snarky with someone using that space for how it's intended because it's interfering with your rude phone call is ok?

If you can't tell the difference here, then I can't help you.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to what other people are doing other than looking for something entertaining to watch....

:laugh:

We can't control what other people do. We can only control how we respond to them. So I'd rather laugh then get annoyed. Much healthier and more fun.

If they're in my way, I've found that the great majority of people will move if politely asked. Most even apologize for being in the way.

I don't go to a gym because I find out I work harder and am overall happier to not have to interact with other people and can focus on my own workout in the comfort of my own home.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    your gym has an ab rocker, really? Like those "scene on tv" ones..LOL
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    your gym has an ab rocker, really? Like those "scene on tv" ones..LOL

Yeah, I chuckled a little when I first saw it too. It's one of these -

Ab+Rocker+Ab+Dolly+Gimmick+As+Seen+on+TV+crappy+ineffective+overpriced+abdominal+spot+treatment+toned+tighter+midsection+quick+easy+workouts+cheap+frugal.jpg

It's a really small community gym - not a big commercial gym.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

^ Exactly

So taking a loud 15 minute phone call on a treadmill - less than 5 feet from someone running on the next treadmill - is ok?

Getting snarky with someone using that space for how it's intended because it's interfering with your rude phone call is ok?

Like I said before, if you don't like it then get some earplugs or headphones of your own and ignore everything but your own workout. It's not that hard and there is WAY more to worry about in life than the small stuff.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

^ Exactly

Like I said before, if you don't like it then get some earplugs or headphones of your own and ignore everything but your own workout. It's not that hard and there is WAY more to worry about in life than the small stuff.

So what you're saying is that instead of people having basic courtesy for others, everyone else just has to buy headphones to block it out. Genius!

I shall change how I teach my daughter about socially acceptable behavior immediately. Do what you want, honey, if it disturbs other people - **** 'em. They should just buy headphones to block you out, or leave.

By the way - I have headphones. I could still hear her.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I LOVE P!NK :)
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. Why have your cell phone in the gym? Clearly they don't have their priorities straight. They'll likely disappear after their resolutions wear off.
  • goldfleck
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many threads there are like this. I went to a large and quite busy gym for 7 years and I never recall seeing this - or I didn't care enough to notice.

Same here! I will notice the odd person going real slow or hogging a machine, but never sleeping or talking on the phone. Guess I am just in my own little world when I'm there!
  • DIG_
    DIG_ Posts: 20
    Options
    I like Pink.

I don't think that is the same pink ...

:tongue:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many threads there are like this. I went to a large and quite busy gym for 7 years and I never recall seeing this - or I didn't care enough to notice.

Yeah, I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
    Tonight, the owner asked me to help rack some weights. oh, noes.

My gym serves beer. :drinker:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't wear head phones is when I am weight lifting. With cardio, I just turn up the volume in my headphones and drown them out. I let them get annoyed by me, it makes me happy knowing I am showing them up.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    BTW, a more disgusting tangient to this conversation is people who go into the bathroom and then take phone calls while on the crapper.

I make a point of repeatedly flushing the toilet the entire time I'm in there so the person on the other end knows exactly where their friend/loved one is calling from.

You should relax in the knowledge that one day they are bound to drop that phone in the pan. My mate did that with her phone at Brixton Academy and had to fish it out - nice :laugh:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    yl5iq.png
    posted on FB by my old trainer SMH
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    BTW, a more disgusting tangient to this conversation is people who go into the bathroom and then take phone calls while on the crapper.

I make a point of repeatedly flushing the toilet the entire time I'm in there so the person on the other end knows exactly where their friend/loved one is calling from.

I am always tempted to make loud farting noises whenever I hear someone talking on the phone in the can.

I will admit though that I DID answer my phone when I was in the bathroom but only because my husband was calling me and I was out running errands and he had some things for me to get. As soon as I told him I was in the bathroom he told me to call him back LOL.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but if you are under 30 and seemingly a normal weight for your height there is the teeniest chance that walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 2.5 mph while talking on the phone and text messaging just might not be giving you much of a workout.

At least you're honest about not being a fitness expert. A 30 minute walk at a pace of 2.5 at any age, regardless of whether you're listening to music or on the phone/texting, is better than nothing. You may not like that they're slower than you, you may be bothered by them being on the phone, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't bother working out at all.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Last week some old guy was actually asleep on a machine I was waiting to use. I give him credit for getting there and getting some execise but come on - falling asleep?!!

That is hilarious. Maybe he worked so hard he just had to have a nap.