Does making friends and the "encouragement" really work?

Options
I am just curious if it makes a difference? Should I "friend" people here?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am sure it depends upon the person but it works for me. I would have sunk back into my old eating habits 50 times otherwise. :) Like anything, some friends will click with you more than others
  • BrittanyNicole0211
    Options
    It definitely does work. I had no friends on here and wasn't very motivated to do anything. But now that I have friends, I feel like I need to work harder. And everyone is so motivating too. Feel free to add me!
  • Layla76
    Layla76 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the accountability factor of adding friends. Especially if you leave your food diary open. For me that makes me want to make the smart choices and get in my Turbo Fire for the day.
  • audra0831
    Options
    It's definitely working for me. We're all in the same boat, trying to take care of our health, and it's nice to know that there are others fighting the same battle as me! You can add me if you like!
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love my friends on here. They get me motivated to work out. Once you start seeing them all working out you feel like you have to as well.

Feel free to add me to your friends list.

Mia
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it does help. You get encouragement. I was looking at a friend's diary and saw she drank like 27 glasses of water in a day. I drink like 4. I know I have to bump up my water intake. Seeing someone else being successful helps me to feel it is attainable for me as well.
  • never124get
    Options
    From all the friends I've made on here I would say yes! I have met a lot of people with similar issues as myself and it's nice to talk about it. My friends keep coming back and I love motivating people as well so I always come back to see what they are up to!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above! On days when I feel like its not worth it or it doesnt really matter, I read posts from my friends and know that letting me down is also letting them down. It may not work for everyone but it certainly does for me.
  • carrow04
    carrow04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like being able to talk about nutrition/fitness with people. The people in my everyday life aren't as interested in those things
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It works for me.. It's inspiring to see what others are doing and knowing that they "get" me and the whole weight loss / healthy lifestyle thing..

Anyone feel free to add me!!
  • Offical
    Options
    I like being able to talk about nutrition/fitness with people. The people in my everyday life aren't as interested in those things

True.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it makes you a little more accountable especially if you have your food log open to friends. It is also nice to see others...I also like that when I fall of track I can talk about it and usually get such motivation and positive feedback that it pushes me forward. Its nice not to do it alone...also some people do groups of friends who workout on the same video and track progress on posts and motivate each other. Anyone feel free to add me. :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Add friends if you want to, don't do it if you don't want to.
    Friends can't do the hard work for you.
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    definitely! especially if you bond with a few of them, then you hold yourself more accountable because you know people that you respect and care about will be looking! and having cheerleadders is always nice :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It really did for me. This is by far the longest I've stuck with logging. I have tried logging off and on for over ten years, but I'd have a bad day, get discouraged, and quit. Once I had friends to notice, it kept me coming back even after a bad day.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    what everyone else has said. Open diary + friends = accountability, cheer squad, buddies to talk about nutrition and exercise without them getting bored with you. The other day I didnt post a hello message in the morning and a few people were looking for me - I hadnt even realised I was sending a hello message every morning, it was lovely to know they missed me :)

Feel free to add me if you need some encouragement and I can highly recommend the people on my list as encouraging and special!
  • DeterminedAshley
    DeterminedAshley Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    YYEEeesssSSS!! I LOVE my friends on here. :] They are all very supportive and congratulate me at every milestone...

Also, if you see that they just got done working out it motivates you to work out, etc. If you keep your diary open your friends can "constructively" criticize, or applaud you. It helps a ton!

It's truly a wonderful system.

Anyone can add me!! :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just like in "real life" - it all depends on the friends you choose. Some are great - some are very supportive - some just want a big friend list and never post or support their "friends" and others are here for a couple weeks then you never hear from them again. Just be selective!!
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    IT SURE DOES!! I blogged about this on here only 3 days ago. Here is the link if you want to read it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wickedwendy6/view/sometimes-we-are-only-as-good-as-our-cheer-squad-488561

Friend request me if you want. :happy:
  • kemit1976
    kemit1976 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was on here for a week with out friends becomes a lonely place with out them.. this time round I made sure i got friends.. but I have also found that some people are more supportive than others, I reply to people encouraging them, but I often don't get it back.. So it is a matter of finding supportive people...

Any one is welcome to add me.