Machine Calories or MFP Calories?

Replies

• TropiKalSTORM
    TropiKalSTORM Posts: 21 Member
    I also recommend getting an HRM.. It has been one of my best purchases in the goal to losing weight...

I'm currently using the Polar FT7.. I cant remember how much I paid but I grabbed mine off ebay for around $80-$100
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    So the general consensus is get a HRM. Which ones to you guys used?

Suunto, Polar and Garmin all make good products, just find the one with the features you want.
  • jacksonpt
    Not necessarily. HRMs don't know what activity you are doing, and thus they don't know the workload associated with the workout. All they know is HR, which is at best tangentially related to calorie burns.

But isn't the workload based on how hard your heart has to work (i.e. your heart rate)?

No. Calorie burns are based on workload, which is a function of the activity you are doing and the amount of weight you are moving.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I use my HRM which for me is closer to the machine than MFP but ONLY if I've entered in my weight, if I haven't, it's way higher.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    In my experience, both were wrong. Get an HRM. I got my Polar F4, and I think it was around $60. Much better than guessing. :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    In my experience, both were wrong. Get an HRM. I got my Polar F4, and I think it was around $60. Much better than guessing. :smile:

Why do you assume your HRM is more accurate?
  • beasilvac
    beasilvac Posts: 24 Member
    Heart Rate mOnitors are the best way to go. But if u can´t afford one, make sure that u set the machine for urself before using it, that is sex, age, weight and height al least, that should giev u a better idea of how many calories ur burning. Another option are the apps, endomondo has worked very well for me, lets you log all ur data, and uses a gps so it's pretty accurate too.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I use my HRM which for me is closer to the machine than MFP but ONLY if I've entered in my weight, if I haven't, it's way higher.
  • I'm just wondering if a HRM can really be accurate when you add resistance/increase stride length, etc.? What about for lifting and calisthenics? I generally put in the MFP calories and then discount them by 20% ... which is just a little more than the machines (which may or may not be properly calibrated) usually indicates --- and I've been steadily losing weight.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Which ever number is lower

This if you can't get a HRM. Otherwise, cut the amount MFP gives you in half... or slightly above half. I have a HRM and find I actually burn about 2/3s of what MFP tells me.

The machines aren't always accurate. It's not getting a constant HR and some don't allow you to put in information like height, weight, age and sex which allows for a more accurate burn reading. My elliptical machine allows me to enter that info but it still gives me a reading half of what my HRM says.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    I was going by MFP's calories until I got a Polar FT4 and found that MFP's estimates were about 30% more than the HRM was telling me I was burning. I like the FT4 because it's simple to use and gives you a calorie estimate.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Which ever number is lower

and then i'd multiply it by .8 and use that number. you NEVER want to overestimate your exercise calories burned.
  • jacksonpt
    I'm just wondering if a HRM can really be accurate when you add resistance/increase stride length, etc.? What about for lifting and calisthenics? I generally put in the MFP calories and then discount them by 20% ... which is just a little more than the machines (which may or may not be properly calibrated) usually indicates --- and I've been steadily losing weight.

No, HRMs are wildly inaccurate for activities that aren't steady state cardio. The formulas they use and assumptions they make are based on steady state cardio activities. The minute the activity is no longer steady state or not cardio, then calculations are no longer accurate. HRMs should NOT be used for any sort of resistance training (at least not for measuring calories burned).
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Not necessarily. HRMs don't know what activity you are doing, and thus they don't know the workload associated with the workout. All they know is HR, which is at best tangentially related to calorie burns.

But isn't the workload based on how hard your heart has to work (i.e. your heart rate)?

No. Calorie burns are based on workload, which is a function of the activity you are doing and the amount of weight you are moving.

I can see your high post count and I will assume that you mean well but I'm just going to walk away from this conversation after I say one last thing. Workload is usually measured by your heart rate because your heart has to beat faster in order to move oxygen more quickly to the muscles that are doing the work. With that being said, most HRMs use a specific formula to calculate calorie burn but that formula requires your heart rate to be increased past a certain point to be the most accurate. So it fails, for example, when calculating calorie burns for weight lifting (which I see you do). But for cardio it is the most accurate method of calculation. And I believe someone asked before... if an HRM isn't the most accurate what do you think is more accurate than it?
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    I eat according to TDEE - 20%. That already accounts for my exercise, so then I don't have to worry about how many calories my work-out burned or what I have to eat back.
  • jacksonpt

I can see your high post count and I will assume that you mean well but I'm just going to walk away from this conversation after I say one last thing. Workload is usually measured by your heart rate because your heart has to beat faster in order to move oxygen more quickly to the muscles that are doing the work. With that being said, most HRMs use a specific formula to calculate calorie burn but that formula requires your heart rate to be increased past a certain point to be the most accurate. So it fails, for example, when calculating calorie burns for weight lifting (which I see you do). But for cardio it is the most accurate method of calculation. And I believe someone asked before... if an HRM isn't the most accurate what do you think is more accurate than it?

Why walk away? Let's have a conversation about this... While I feel pretty certain about this stuff, I certainly don't know everything and talking things through is a great way to learn and think about things differently.

This guy knows way more about this than I do, and frankly is where I've learned most of what I think I know. Read through some of his blog posts... it's well worth the time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/

The bottom line is this: Things like HR, breathing rate, sweating, etc are only indications of how hard you are pushing in terms of your current fitness level. Calories required to do something is largely a fixed value - it takes x amount of calories to walk 1 mile regardless of how hard/fast you go. Calories are measure of energy, energy is a measure of work, workloads are generally pretty consistent across and activity with weight being the only meaningful variable.

And I never meant to say that any method was always bad or always good. HRMs seem to have this aura of perfection, machines seems to have this aura of worthlessness. People need to not be so quick to assume that HRMs are always right and machines are always wrong. My point is that HRMs are not the miracle tool that so many people make them out to be. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they aren't. Just because you have one, don't assume it's perfect.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member

Why walk away? Let's have a conversation about this... While I feel pretty certain about this stuff, I certainly don't know everything and talking things through is a great way to learn and think about things differently.

This guy knows way more about this than I do, and frankly is where I've learned most of what I think I know. Read through some of his blog posts... it's well worth the time.

And I never meant to say that any method was always bad or always good. HRMs seem to have this aura of perfection, machines seems to have this aura of worthlessness. People need to not be so quick to assume that HRMs are always right and machines are always wrong. My point is that HRMs are not the miracle tool that so many people make them out to be. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they aren't. Just because you have one, don't assume it's perfect.

Firstly, because I have to go to work LOL.

Not everyone is saying that they are 100% accurate (because they aren't) but what they are saying is that they are more accurate than the machines (which calculate your calorie burn based off of statistics gathered from non-overweight, average height females [it could be males, but I don't have time to double check]). If you are a 5'6" female of average weight then the machine might actually be accurate.

I agree that HRMs aren't "miracle tools" but I do believe they are more accurate than what MFP will tell you. And from what I've read/researched, not a lot of people fall into the zone that the machine will be accurate in. I'll check out that link you posted later tonight, I'm always open to learning more.

I don't post a lot (although I read a lot) here because I generally try to stay away from the threads that pop up daily like this but your post(s) caught my attention because you were challenging people (over and over again) without explaining to them why they might be inaccurate in their beliefs. Hopefully either that link you posted to me does or that you will (if I haven't already with my previous post).
  • jacksonpt

Firstly, because I have to go to work LOL.

Not everyone is saying that they are 100% accurate (because they aren't) but what they are saying is that they are more accurate than the machines (which calculate your calorie burn based off of statistics gathered from non-overweight, average height females [it could be males, but I don't have time to double check]). If you are a 5'6" female of average weight then the machine might actually be accurate.

I agree that HRMs aren't "miracle tools" but I do believe they are more accurate than what MFP will tell you. And from what I've read/researched, not a lot of people fall into the zone that the machine will be accurate in. I'll check out that link you posted later tonight, I'm always open to learning more.

I don't post a lot (although I read a lot) here because I generally try to stay away from the threads that pop up daily like this but your post(s) caught my attention because you were challenging people (over and over again) without explaining to them why they might be inaccurate in their beliefs. Hopefully either that link you posted to me does or that you will (if I haven't already with my previous post).

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say/imply that HRMs are worthless. In some situations, for some activities they are great and certainly are the most accurate you'll be able to get.

My point was that many people in this thread (and virtually all the other threads like this) are too quick to assume that HRMs are always more accurate and that machines are always inaccurate. I have no idea where the MFP numbers come from, so I won't comment on the accuracy of those.

There are a lot of situations where machines are very accurate, and certainly close enough to make the "need" for an HRM unnecessary for most people who are simply interested in calories burned. Alternatively, there are a lot of situations where HRMs are more accurate and certainly accurate enough to be a reasonable gauge for cals burned.

The best thing to do is to pick 1 method of estimating and do that consistently for a month. Then evaluate. if your estimations have you in a calorie deficit and thus you expect to be losing weight but are actually gaining, then chances are good your estimates are off (eating more than you think and/or burning less than you think) and you can adjust appropriately. At the end of the day everything we do is based on estimates so some trial and error is a necessary part of all this.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    HRM or Machines. I never trust MFP. There are some crazy high estimates entered in the database.