can anyone recommend a diet

Options
I am 5ft 4 in and weigh 176. I would like to get back to 150. I have been following a 1200 calorie diet but seems to come of extremely slow. some days I even gain weight. I am working out at least 500-800 calories a day. Any advice on something that works for you.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever i feel like as long as it hits my calorie goal.

I make sure to get atleast my LBM in protein.

Other than that, nothing special.

I would rather lose slowly than quickly considering it is likely more sustainable. :)

Best of luck.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Like the person above said. Eat at a moderate deficit and get adequate protein.

Don't think in terms of a "diet".
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I heard the 30 bananas a day diet is pretty awesome
  • ssghamil
    Options
    what about water? do you dring atleast 8 glasses a day?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Like the person above said. Eat at a moderate deficit and get adequate protein.

Don't think in terms of a "diet".

Yup. Diets are what you do to lose weight then revert back to your former fat self. Change your eating habits for life or commit to a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Your choice.

As for how to lose the weight, MFP is all about counting calories. Eat less calories than you burn and lose weight. No pill, special shake, or meals you have to purchase.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you are burning off that many calories working out, you have to eat more that 1200 calories a day. That should be your absolute, rock bottom net intake.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    what about water? do you dring atleast 8 glasses a day?

Water is important. 8 is an arbitrary number. I drink when I'm thirsty and usually it's way more than 8 glasses.

Monitor your urine and make sure you're adequately hydrated.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I heard the 30 bananas a day diet is pretty awesome

Bananas are bad for you.

Everyone knows that.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 6in, but started around the same weight and my goal is the same as yours.

I eat NET - AT LEAST my bmr number after exercise calories burned have been taken into account and I am losing around 1lb a week no problem.

If you look under the APP tab on this site and scroll down, on the right hand side you will find the BMR calculator. If your BMR is higher than 1200 cals then you should re-adjust your settings to either choose to lose weight more slowly or increase your activity level. This should then adjust your calorie goal to something above your BMR. MFP does give the right number of calories - but only if people input correct data.

Eating the correct amount of calories for your body's needs will give a healthy and more sustainable weight loss.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

At 1200 calories you probably aren't eating enough. I increased to 1600-1800/day and I'm losing better now.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. That is how I did it. There is no short cut. Follow the program and you will make it there before you know it.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    If you are burning off that many calories working out, you have to eat more that 1200 calories a day. That should be your absolute, rock bottom net intake.

Agreed.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options

This x100. Please read it and learn about your BMR and TDEE.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat a moderate fat, moderate carb, lower sugar, higher protein diet including a lot of different vegetables of different types (beans, leafy, root, etc.) I stick to mostly whole grains and leaner meats or fish. I don't eat when I'm not hungry and don't keep eating after I'm full.

I occasionally splurge on foods or days that don't fit that bill, but try not to do it too often. And I exercise often and intensely. That worked for me.
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer at bodybuilding.com, pretty easy to follow plan
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Definitely use the roadmap, you are probably not eating enough :) I am the same height but I started at 171lbs and I hit a wall at 155, I increased my intake and then I started losing again. So it may work for you.

Also in regards to water I like to think that you need the 8 cups a day to hydrate properly, if you consume large quantities of sodium however I would think it best to match mL for mg. So 1mL of water for every 1mg of sodium consumed.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    This guy is convinced that he's onto something great :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865676-chef-boyardee-diet

Seriously though, OP...maybe you should open your diary and people could give better advice. Its possible you aren't tracking accurately and are getting too much sodium, or underestimating portion sizes or something like that....
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4 in and weigh 176. I would like to get back to 150. I have been following a 1200 calorie diet but seems to come of extremely slow. some days I even gain weight. I am working out at least 500-800 calories a day. Any advice on something that works for you.

First off, set your goal at losing 0.5lbs per week. With only 26 pounds to lose you can't aim for large losses. You should at least NET your BMR which means eating back your exercise calories... not sure if you are or not based on your post. If you aren't, eat them... even netting 1200 you are not giving your body enough nutrition.

Secondly, stop weighing yourself daily (I'm assuming you do by your "some days I even gain"). Your weight will change daily... it will change from hour to hour. Weigh at most once a week. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose weight each and every week. It is just how it goes.

Have a smaller deficit and lift heavy weights so you retain your muscle while trying to lose. If you have too high of a deficit and don't lift you will end up losing muscle instead of retaining it.

Don't look for a "diet"... a diet is a temporary thing. Eat how you will eat forever. Eat what you want as long as you are within your calories. Ensure you drink enough water, limit your sodium and get enough protein, fats and fiber.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You say its going slow...how long have you been sticking with the allotted calories? Try to eat a lean protein and fruit/veggie at every meal.