Question for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    it's all about the transition, keep at a slow and steady build, work on your distance and your pacing first, you can pick up speed later!

Good for you for finding ways to make it fun though, you're much more likely to stick with it if you anticipate doing it!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    if you are new to running you should not be doing sprints- at all. You will hurt yourself and the damage could be quite extensive. Do the Couch 2 5k program, it is wonderful
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Zombie 5K training app and it is a lot of fun! I have asthma and the first few times I tried the 5K app, I couldn't make even the shortest running intervals, I actually had to do some walks with teeny 10 & 15 second jogging spurts to train up even to start the 5k program. It's getting a lot better quickly though, and I use an inhaler before I go so I usually don't have issues now, but I keep it in my pocket just in case. =)

PS I'm hoping to do that Zombie 5K run this year too! Cheers!!
  • jeffmineo
    Options
    I would def slow down. Also what is your goal? if its weight loss and you dont have one spend $50 on a Heart Rate Monitor. Something simple and keep within your zone. This will help you to not work out too hard and or too soft and you will see results much quicker
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it takes time, slow down a bit
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1) How long were you sprinting for
    2) how long did you intend to sprint for
    3) if you intended, did you do them in intervals

and yes, start of slowly then add in sprinting and it is normal for someone who is new to be out of breath while sprinting as it really works you, you'll just get use to it. Good luck!

Btw, never heard of this zombie thing
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running you do need to start slow, learning how to pace yourself. A good skill to learn is pace running at a slow enough speed that you can talk while you run and also go 1km without a single stop and also without walking for any portion of that 1km.

Building on that base pace to be faster and last longer is something that takes a lot of time. It took me months to be able to run 2k straight without stopping or feeling out of breath at all, and could talk the WHOLE time!

So maybe start a program that will slowly build you up like the couch to 5K or couch to 10K and just keep building on what you learn, it will be your best bet for increasing endurance and speed.
  • tdhackett2002
    tdhackett2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program for beginners, or anyone who is getting back in to running after having some time off. Here is an article from Runner's World that addresses breathing (Chest Breathers vs. Belly Breathers). Good luck and stick with it - it will get easier over time!

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power?page=single
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You may want to spend 6-8 weeks running at a more moderate pace to build an initial level of fitness. That being said, you are not going to die from sprinting (although I agree sometimes it feels that way!). Sprinting is an anaerobic exercise. You shouldn't be able to do it for long before your breathing makes it hard to speak. Running/Jogging is an aerobic exercise and can be done for long periods of time (depending on your endurance) level.

I would incorporate some interval training a couple days a week where you alternate sprints and jogging. While I haven't used it, it sounds like that' basically what the Zombie app does It'll help you build endurance, burn some serious calories and kick up your metabolism.

Oh, make sure you ALWAYS do a little warm-up and stretching first otherwise you will hurt yourself.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I must look into this Zombie app. I need more speed work.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    First set yourself with a goal in mind. Do you want to run to lose weight? Do you want to run to get in shape? Do you want to run to change your lifestyle and become fit?

I've been running for many years and my goals now are to run in races, 5Ks, 5miles, 10Ks, 10miles, half marathons and marathons. Running is very lonely especially if you're training for a half marathon or marathon. So, if you can, find a running buddy. There are running clubs in every city. Or perhaps start your own. Post flyers at work to see if there is anyone interest in running.

Think of your eating habits. You will be surprised the more you work out and run the more health conscience you will become.

If you're running alone, think about an MP3 player, Motivational music goes along way.

Finally, unless you are competing at the world class level, the race is with you and against you. Don't worry about beating the guy in front of you. The forth place finishing medal is the same as the last place finishing medal. But only those that finish get a medal. Run at a comfortable pace and enjoy your surroundings.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    IMO you're better off working on slower pace / longer distance to build up your endurance before attempting sprints. Try C25K, which is designed to ease a person into running a 5K.

This!