Valentines Day Blues

Options
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

It seems like for quite a few people, Valentine's Day is the day you remember that you're single and a reason to be depressed. Each of the various holidays seem to be depressing or unsatisfying for someone for some reason or another. Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving seem to bring it out the most though.

For me, Thanksgiving is the day one of my brother's shot himself so many years ago. Valentine's Day is the day another one of my brothers passed away not very long ago. My wife was diagnosed with cancer just before Christmas 2010. New Year's has its own special issue which I am not going to share. I have very good reasons to hate each of these holidays, but I don't. I don't because I choose not to. I choose to celebrate these days because I choose to enjoy life. I'm not saying that I blindly go through life with a smile on my face impervious to anything life throws at me. I'm not. I just finally chose to accept what life throws at me and move on. I cannot change anyone else or the bumps in life's road. What I can change is how I face other people's attitudes and those bumps.

For those of you who can accept the beauty in life, I applaud you. For those who haven't found that yet, I truly hope you can, and I'd love to push you. I also know that that's not always possible. So for those of you who can, have a wonderful day! And, if you so believe, God bless.

Replies

• SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Have a wonderful day.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    well said man ... well said!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother died just before Christmas...40 years ago. My father has let it kill his holidays ever since.

I've learned from his negative example.
  • Danardeener
    Options
    Thank you for that! <3
  • smboston
    Options
    Nice post!
  • juiletflt
    Options
    Love this! Thank you.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    very well put, thank you for posting. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and God bless :flowerforyou:
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful, heartfelt post.

heart.jpg
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    * LIKE * :drinker:
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Your post is fantastic and I particularly love when you said:

I'm not saying that I blindly go through life with a smile on my face impervious to anything life throws at me. I'm not. I just finally chose to accept what life throws at me and move on. I cannot change anyone else or the bumps in life's road. What I can change is how I face other people's attitudes and those bumps.

It is a belief and attitude I share with you and I applaud you for sharing it.
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great post. Really puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing.
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful positive outlook. :heart: Have a happy day...whatever day it may be.

Brightest blessings! :flowerforyou:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nice post! Thank you & I agree! Everyone should make the best of any situation.

For me it's Christmas, Mothers & Father's Day - We lost my mom just a couple weeks before Christmas and since both my parents & my husbands parents have passed it's hard to not have them on "their special day" We make the most of it though & enjoy the fact that we are parents ourselves.

Also my grandpa passed away on St. Patty's Day he was the funniest guy ever & loved to drink so I always toast a green beer to him!!! :drinker:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU:heart:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP needs a like button. Thank you for sharing.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and love this!
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You my dear, are utterly AWESOME!!! We could all use a friend like you!

I too, like many here and yourself, have reasons to not like holidays, mainly Christmas day, as that is when my grandmother (who of course was the woman to name me) died as a result of shooting herself in the head. For many years it was a bitter struggle to accept, but I finally did. I now cherish that day in rememberance of her instead of what she did.

I applaud you and the rest of us who are able to find peace and solice in this life, and to enjoy it while we are here. :)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    :heart: Amazing outlook! You made me smile!