ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! Awesome thread!

If you or anyone else has any good and helpful links on High Intensity Training or other home exercises - please let me know! I already have the shred

:devil:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Only if she is burning around 1500 cals a day in the gym, and lifting heavy weights.

If she is your average middle aged, sedentary woman, at that weight and height, she is close to 70% BF. Her BMR would be around 1250 and sedentary TDEE would put her only around 1500.

The common misconception that body weight alone determines your BMR, is so misleading and confusing for many people trying to lose weight. Body Fat tissue burns very few calories compared to muscle tissue.

You compare this woman to a 300 pound male body builder with 7% body fat, and his BMR is over 3100 and his sedentary TDEE would be over 3700. Add his daily workouts to the equation and he would probably need 8-10k cals a day to maintain.

You just cannot make a blanket statement that everyone would maintain or lose on 10-12 times their body weight. That is just ridiculous.

Nope.

Pretty much everyone, barring those with medical / metabolic issues can successfully lose weight eating at around their BMR (which presumes they are accurately tracking their calorie intake) which is what the 10 cals per 1lbs of body weight formula roughly equates to for women.

BMR is correlated to body weight - that is how they formulas are derived. Whilst body composition does play a part it is not as significant as people may imagine. IIRC 1lb muscle takes 6 cals per 1lb to maintain whilst fat takes 2 cals per 1lb. Yes, there is a difference but is it not as great as people go on about.

As for your fictional, average middle aged woman with a BF% of 70% - even super morbidly obese people do not have a BF% that high....or such a low TDEE.

Do you have any scientific evidence to back up any of your statements of fact? Are you not familiar with the Katch Mcardle BMR equation?

I stand by my opinion that 2 people who have nothing in common other than their body weight, could have drastically different BMRs.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a 25 yr old, 6'5" male body builder would have a significantly higher BMR than a 50 yr old, 5'3" morbidly obese woman.

How could anyone possibly argue with that?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No. :angry:
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? :noway: :noway: :noway: Just seen it :noway: :noway:

I just watched too, I'm in awe lol, just saved the link to show my brother-in-law when he gets back from Afghan next month (hes very competitive physically and cant stand to even hear of someone doing something he cant, this will drive him mad)

Haha, some of them I don't think can be real!! :) But its good to see that I don't need to go to the gym to do some strength building exercises.
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Only if she is burning around 1500 cals a day in the gym, and lifting heavy weights.

If she is your average middle aged, sedentary woman, at that weight and height, she is close to 70% BF. Her BMR would be around 1250 and sedentary TDEE would put her only around 1500.

The common misconception that body weight alone determines your BMR, is so misleading and confusing for many people trying to lose weight. Body Fat tissue burns very few calories compared to muscle tissue.

You compare this woman to a 300 pound male body builder with 7% body fat, and his BMR is over 3100 and his sedentary TDEE would be over 3700. Add his daily workouts to the equation and he would probably need 8-10k cals a day to maintain.

You just cannot make a blanket statement that everyone would maintain or lose on 10-12 times their body weight. That is just ridiculous.

Nope.

Pretty much everyone, barring those with medical / metabolic issues can successfully lose weight eating at around their BMR (which presumes they are accurately tracking their calorie intake) which is what the 10 cals per 1lbs of body weight formula roughly equates to for women.

BMR is correlated to body weight - that is how they formulas are derived. Whilst body composition does play a part it is not as significant as people may imagine. IIRC 1lb muscle takes 6 cals per 1lb to maintain whilst fat takes 2 cals per 1lb. Yes, there is a difference but is it not as great as people go on about.

As for your fictional, average middle aged woman with a BF% of 70% - even super morbidly obese people do not have a BF% that high....or such a low TDEE.
    You are leaving out the part where BMR formulas also use age and height... It's not just weight. Using 11 cals per pound for a man, you get 2200 calories for a BMR. That would be accurate for a 6' tall, 200 pound 20 year old. It's roughly 200 calories too high for a 6' tall, 200 pound 30 year old. So it's a good estimate, as long as the person you're estimating is a 6' tall 20 year old, otherwise, it's going to overestimate, which is why we have actual BMR formulas.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuU-IoMHBQUz-p_xaeiCgmFLldn4MR3Y9GRJqmRbjtjJD0KzfE

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Aperene
    Aperene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this!!
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping - thank you for taking the time to post this info!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile in Russia...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Nope.

Do you have any scientific evidence to back up any of your statements of fact? Are you not familiar with the Katch Mcardle BMR equation?

I stand by my opinion that 2 people who have nothing in common other than their body weight, could have drastically different BMRs.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a 25 yr old, 6'5" male body builder would have a significantly higher BMR than a 50 yr old, 5'3" morbidly obese woman.

Please don't think this is a cop put but it's Valentine's Day and I have to get home to my wife (or she will do terrible things to me...) so see here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

As I said, it's a reasonable starting point which people can then tweak and adjust as time goes by depending on how they respond...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Nope.

You are leaving out the part where BMR formulas also use age and height... It's not just weight. Using 11 cals per pound for a man, you get 2200 calories for a BMR. That would be accurate for a 6' tall, 200 pound 20 year old. It's roughly 200 calories too high for a 6' tall, 200 pound 30 year old. So it's a good estimate, as long as the person you're estimating is a 6' tall 20 year old, otherwise, it's going to overestimate, which is why we have actual BMR formulas.

Sorry dude but I will have to give yo the same link as I have to run:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Ok, everyone enjoy yourselves tonight....
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BLNKSN
    BLNKSN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant, I like tips that make me laugh because as far as I'm concerned laughing is a high impact exercise! I think I may even start a class where we can all just sit and lagh at each other, probably wont lose much weight but we will feel awesome! Keep up the good work!
    a sense of humour is IMPERATIVE to loosing weight and life altogether...^5's you:smile:
  • nationallazer
    Options
    Here is my question how many calories would you burn in a body blast class??? not know how to log it!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Nope.

Please don't think this is a cop put but it's Valentine's Day and I have to get home to my wife (or she will do terrible things to me...) so see here:

As I said, it's a reasonable starting point which people can then tweak and adjust as time goes by depending on how they respond...

DebbieLynn: Excellent points! I don't know why anyone would prefer misinformation over a slew of easy to use online BMR/TDEE calculators (that are, even with their own erros, significantly more informed than this post). The point you bring up about a 300lb bodybuilder vs. a 300lb morbidly obese and sedentary woman perfectly encapsulates the error in the OP's method. I don't know how anyone could say that certain variables considered in those calculators are irrelevant (age, body fat %, etc). It's just shocking.

I also want to respond from this statement from Tricksee (page 2 of the thread) "Most importantly, if you were HUGE, don't fall into bad habits like fast food and chocolate. they got you into the 'needing to lose weight' position to begin with." "HUGE"? Really, interesting way to describe people. Also, it's unkind and inaccurate to assume we "HUGE" people have been sucking down fast food and chocolate. "

Pfffft.

Here are some actual tools to use:http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/