Middle School Girls VS Valentines Day

Options
akaMrsmojo
akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
My daughter came home crying hysterically. No one got her a card, candy or anything. Everyone else seem to give someone else something. According the her, even the most disliked kid in school.

I remember going through the same thing.

I swear they should eliminate Valentines Day celebration from middle schools. How do you explain to a 13 year old girl that people can just be thoughtless.

The cafeteria even burned her heart-shaped sugar cookie.

Replies

• olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You could turn into a valuable life lesson
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I thought in younger classes that if kids were giving out valentines, they were supposed to do it for the entire class?
  • 0atmeal_queen
    Options
    Tell her to get over it because valentines day is stupid
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I thought in younger classes that if kids were giving out valentines, they were supposed to do it for the entire class?

^Yeah, this.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    Middle school is just miserable. I remember having the same feelings.

Do something special for her, mom can be your valentine too! She might not get it now but she'll get it later. :) My mom used to make cookies for us and cut our carrots into hearts for Valentines day. It was the best.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Time to start educating her on life
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options

She is in 8th grade, they did. Everyone but her.
  • originalkazila
    Options

^Yeah, this.

My middle school wasn't like this. It was just free for all.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    That is really unfortunate, but a wonderful life lesson. Just try to do something special with her now that she is home.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Aww I went through the same stuff in school also from 5th grade until 10th :( I've had lots of valentine's since then ;) Do something cute and special for her tonight to cheer her up. She'll get over it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me through all my years of middle school and high school. But hey, it kind of teaches her to love herself more and to know that she doesn't need others to feel good about herself.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options
    I was afraid of it, so I gave her chocolate and stuffed alligator this morning. She has only been at this school for 3 months, but I was hoping someone would do something for her.

I promised her I would take her to the mall this weekend.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    so I read this to my 13 year old daughter and this is her comment...
    'so what if you don't have a valentine for valentin's day, some kids don't have a mother for mother's day or a father for father's day'
    :huh: hummm that's a different perspective
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but just because someone has a bad day regarding Valentines Day or any other day does not mean we should eliminate it. I'm sorry, But Life isn't always what you want it to be. I never got a Valentines after elementary school and I survived...I'm 40 and still happy and full of love... I'm sure she will live! sorry if this sounds heartless but we can't all live in a bubble can we???
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I think we all went through this one way or the other. It builds character. What else will you eliminate, kids who don't invite her to their slumber parties. Because it will happen.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

explain to her how Valentine's Day is a scam, perpetuated and thrust upon the public by a) Candy makers, b) Jewelry hawkers, c) card companies, and d) flower sellers.

How what it really does is bilk the public for millions of dollars. That those millions of dollars would be better used to invest in college funds for the kids, to pay down mortgages, or even applied towards medical bills.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So Sorry to hear that. I am surprised that in this overly PC world in which we live in at:

1). The teacher didn't inform everyone to be inclusive.

or

2). The principal/teacher/or school board did outlaw the day already.

Again I am sorry for your girl.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options
    'so what if you don't have a valentine for valentin's day, some kids don't have a mother for mother's day or a father for father's day'

I like that a lot. I may bring it up later.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Like this!!!