Does making friends and the "encouragement" really work?

Options

Replies

• MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Add some friends and see if it works! What is there to lose really (except maybe extra pounds)? I actually do enjoying seeing what everyone else is doing and I LOVE it when they hit a goal they have set or had a suprise NSV! I welcome all friends!
  • lbmade2crave
    lbmade2crave Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I began with no friends - just wanted to keep my calories accountable. But I have since added friends and they are inspiring to me! I see when they exercise and what they are doing and it keeps me going even when I don't "feel" like exercising. I would recommend it!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference to me.
  • AmandaW01
    Options
    I enjoy having friends - and also that extra bit of accountability, as well as the support and encouragement. It does depend on the person, but I find 'cyber' friends just as motivational and encouraging as 'real' friends - and not so judgemental either :-)
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    I really believe the support from "like minded" people is valuable. I like getting motivation and encouragement where you otherwise might not get that support from loved ones in your life who don't understand. I think friends on here and accountability has made a big difference for me. I've tried many diets,but gave up on them because I felt alone. This works. I really like friends that take this seriously and log on consistently. I am on here several times a day. Anyone can add me. The more the merrier. It kinda gets you out of self to cheer others on and see their success and help if they are having difficulty. Sometimes a kind word is all we need to turn our day around. Good luck!
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    my MFP friends are awesome! it really is more encouraging to know that there are other people in the same situation as you. plus, i like looking at their diaries and getting ideas for healthy snacks for myself or even for different exercises.

personally, i love it when i'm at the gym and look down at my phone and see all the "way to go!" comments they leave on my wall...it does make me want to work out a little extra harder :)
  • Msjay2blue
    Msjay2blue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It does for me because I'm an all-or-nothing girl, and very accountable to others, but not myself. I am working on that,
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It has helped me. Not every friend will make a difference but there will be one or two that will help you along the way.

I don't have many friends here but I have one who everytime she sees I'm not logging, will send me a friendly message. That notification in my email pulls me back to MFP.

Many of my real-life friends easily maintain a healthy weight or are heavy and don't care. Your friends here understand how hard it can be to stop at one slice of pizza or to put on those running shoes. We are people going through a similar life experience and that is always helpful.
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For me it's very important. I enjoy my friends on here and I'm a part of two groups on FB that offer me amazing support, encouragement, tough love and advice. It feels good to have people who I can talk to about this. Often times we go through this alone.

Anyone can friend me if they like. :)
  • RacheeeRay
    RacheeeRay Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    for me it totally does. when i log on and see so and so burned so many calories and then a few minutes later someone else popped up with some other workout and i didn't feel like working out before that i think, "hey! i want to work out too!" and i always end up going to the gym.
    seeing others work hard, makes me want to work hard :)

Totally agree with that! Feel free to add me! Its encouraging seeing others succeed, lets you know you can do it too!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I find it helps because once I embark on a new project (ie: losing weight), I tend to get obsessed. The people in my real life are supportive BUT they only want to hear about to a certain extent.

them: "Hey, you look great"
    Me: "thanks, I lost 13 pounds and 2 pant sizes" (anxiously waiting to tout the details)
    them: "Really?, that's wonderful, good for you" (on to the next topic)
    END OF CONVERSATION

Very few are interested in the details of how I did it, the research I've read, or my latest NSV... But here, with friends doing the same thing, I can type my weight-loss-obsessive thoughts till I'm blue in the fingers and it's okay. Often, they even ask me questions to which I can spout even more of my newly gotten information. It's great and keeps me from boring my real-life friends and family.

ETA: I should add that is also really great to have people I can ask questions of as well. I "met" some really knowledgeable people hear who helped me get on what I now feel is the right track. I am very grateful.
  • BecauseicanHan22
    Options
    Definitely!! I have the greatest friends on here :) they keep me going!! X
  • lpalczer
    lpalczer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can do it on your own but it is nice when you have someone that sends you a message and says how proud of you they are. Kinda gives you a little push to keep going or to just do a little more. Plus you can swap ideas.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe it does.
  • Eons44
    Eons44 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think so, especially if you keep your diary open. You tend to eat better when other people can see it.
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    I think so! I left town for a couple days and didn't log in.... it was nice to have my friends checking in to be sure I hadn't fallen off the wagon!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    silliest question i have ever heard, and i am antisocial!
    This site works!
    the people work!
    do it!
  • tinkerbellmad
    tinkerbellmad Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't got many friends on mfp but would welcome more friends so anyone wanting to add me pls do, we can encourage each other x
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My friends on here totally make this worthwhile. When I have bad days or feel down, they bring me back up! Maybe you are motivated enough to go it alone, but I find my friend group on here makes all the difference :-)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It helps to have someone who is actually interested to talk to. My husband would be sick of hearing about this if I had to talk to him.

It doesn't seem to help me stay on track, though. I have to do that on my own.