THE EASY WAY OUT

Options
anyone else ever feel discouraged about working hard to lose weight the right way when there are hundreds of people getting thin by just taking a weight-loss pill?

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I have an older friend don a pill too..it curbs her appetite and she goes out to eat and everything...poor lil me has done it the hard way and it hurts me that she has it easy...I understand some issues with why she does take it but to eat like she does and not workout...pisses me off...i agree that on your own is the best way but we have our own opinions...I'm 2 pounds away from losing a total of 200 pounds by just exercising and eating right. Girl, add me if you like. I will support you and forget the lil pill poppin women!!! -hugs-
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    nope, i would much rather struggle with losing weight and knowing that i did it on my own versus losing weight fast because of a pill. Plus, when they are done taking their pills, they will gain it all back and then some.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Every time I see people taking unhealthy shortcuts, I notice (1) whatever they are doing doesn't last and (2) it tends to make them miserable while they are doing it. If there was REALLY a pill that made you sustainably lose all that weight in a month without side effects, everyone would be thin.

Just make your goal health--the weight will come off and all the healthy eating and exercise will make you glow in a way that you can't get with a diet pill.

Just ignore those people and keep doing your thing!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    nope, i would much rather struggle with losing weight and knowing that i did it on my own versus losing weight fast because of a pill. Plus, when they are done taking their pills, they will gain it all back and then some.
    AMEN!! my friend has even had heart problems since she started on the pills..hurts me to watch it but, she couldn't do the dieting/eating right so they put her on the pill..
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you are joking! Where are these hundreds of people losing weight just taking a pill? Have you met any?
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Every time I see people taking unhealthy shortcuts, I notice (1) whatever they are doing doesn't last and (2) it tends to make them miserable while they are doing it. If there was REALLY a pill that made you sustainably lose all that weight in a month without side effects, everyone would be thin.

Just make your goal health--the weight will come off and all the healthy eating and exercise will make you glow in a way that you can't get with a diet pill.

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    i know five right off the bat...people i went to high school with and family friends...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yep, she can't take this pill for the rest of her life. When she stops taking it, she will no doubt pour on the pounds and you, her friend, will be lovely and slim :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    And they are doing that just by taking a pill - what they eat and the exercise they do doesn't have any effect also?
  • adubs923
    adubs923 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why focus on someone elses journey? I hate when people assume ANYTHING they disapprove of is "easy". If it were easy for you I bet you would do it. I bet you have tried and found out it wasn't so easy for you. When you start peeking into someone else's windows and wanting what's in their home make sure you're prepared for all the BS and crap that you didn't realize was in their basement and attic. Focus on you and be an example to others. There's someone out there who can't exercise the way you do who might be thinking "it's so easy for her".
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Totally agree, and just want to add that the satisfaction of knowing you lost the weight the right way (no shortcuts, just changing your habits) is incredible!
  • mollysmomma81709
    mollysmomma81709 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i work with her 40 hours a week and we all talk about everything. she has adopted NO exercise routine into her life. none at all. yes, she is eating less, but eating less alone wouldn't cause you to lose 13 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anyone lose weight just by taking a pill. Certainly not any that stays off.

Even if there was, I wouldn't feel discouraged by it, I am not just seeking weight loss. Since joining here and changing my lifestyle, I now sleep better, I rarely get ill, I can run up a set of stairs without feeling like my lungs are bleeding, and I can now do things that i would normally ask my other half to do due to my previously weak and weedy muscles. You can't get any of that from taking a pill.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    No one is doing this the easy way. They are either 1) unintentionally more aware of their eating habits, using a pill that acts as a placebo 2) losing the weight now but will unable to keep up on later or 3) in the rarer cases, developing positive living habits in concurrence with the pill.

Either way, it will require work at some point.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nope, all that weight is going to come right back once they stop the pill, while mine will stay off permanently. What's to be jealous of?
  • mollysmomma81709
    mollysmomma81709 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why focus on someone elses journey? I hate when people assume ANYTHING they disapprove of is "easy". If it were easy for you I bet you would do it. I bet you have tried and found out it wasn't so easy for you. When you start peeking into someone else's windows and wanting what's in their home make sure you're prepared for all the BS and crap that you didn't realize was in their basement and attic. Focus on you and be an example to others. There's someone out there who can't exercise the way you do who might be thinking "it's so easy for her".

you're probably right, i shouldn't be worried about her journey. and as a matter of fact, no i have never tried taking any dietary supplement, or weight-loss pill to lose weight. i'm just saying it's discouraging to think that i could take a little pill and get to my destination quicker, even though i know the rewards wouldn't be as great.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The problem with any lose weight fast scheme is that as soon as you stop doing it (fad diet, pill, whatever), all of the weight comes back. Doing it the slow, painful way ensures that you actually learn the skills you need to be healthy for the rest of your life, not just thin for a few months. I've done the crash diet method, and it worked, but I ended up gaining back more than I ever lost. I'm now almost back to where I was at the peak of the crash diet, but I'm not hungry or tired and I'm not worried about it coming back if I start to eat again.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    negative.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hundreds of people take weight loss pills,
    have heart problems, or
    gain all their weight back.

Hundreds of people have lapband surgery,
    eat and stretch their stomachs back out again.

Hundreds of people binge, purge, or starve
    End up with digestive issues and damage their health.

It has to be about getting healthy and taking care of yourself, otherwise it's pointless and destructive.