Lifting and Running

Options
I'm training for a half marathon. My schedule has me either lifting or doing cross training one day a week. I would prefer to lift, but since it's only one day a week, I'm not sure what I should do? Should I lift all muscle groups that day, a little bit of everything? Or should I concentrate on a few different areas and switch it up every week?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, you're not going to get great results from one day per week, no matter what you do. However, I would definitely say go full body at every session. Do as much of each compound lift as you possibly can within that day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, you're not going to get great results from one day per week, no matter what you do. However, I would definitely say go full body at every session. Do as much of each compound lift as you possibly can within that day.

this
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggest keep it simple, lift full body heavy 1x weekly.

If you do cardio day before, make it shorter run up to 45 min max Aerobic HR zone, so you don't wear the muscles out too much and impact getting a good lifting session in.

If you do cardio day after (better to rest and only walk though), make it a run up to 60 min max Active Recovery HR zone (badly called fat-burning zone), so you don't add extra load to the muscles and impair or prevent getting a good recovery/repair from the lifting you did.

Your running is going to risk burning off muscle mass while eating at deficit.
    The lifting heavy with all muscles is going to encourage keeping it.

If you have reasonable deficit of course, always possible to screw things up eating too little.

Possible schedule I found useful.
    Sat - long run Aerobic zone
    Sun - rest or swim
    Mon - lifting
    Tue - rest
    Wed - 60 min run Tempo zone
    Thu - 60 min run Recovery zone
    Fri - cross-training but don't wear out legs for long run tomorrow.

So 2 sessions training body for endurance and fat-burning (Sat & Thu) requirement, one more race pace (Wed).
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This.

Any reason why you're only lifting once a week? I understand that running takes precedence, as you are training for a half marathon, but you can still incorporate more lifting into your schedule to get the results you desire, while maintaining your endurance training for your marathon.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was actually just researching this myself. This article addresses it and I am on doing it like recommended on Tuesday and Thursday. As they point out this is my lowest mileage day.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

Hope this helps you with your training for a half marathon. Prepping myself for a half marathon in October.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This.

Any reason why you're only lifting once a week? I understand that running takes precedence, as you are training for a half marathon, but you can still incorporate more lifting into your schedule to get the results you desire, while maintaining your endurance training for your marathon.

And This.
    Working in quick sessions of lifting can prove beneficial. It takes strength as well as endurance to do any amount of distance running.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am also going to be doing a half marathon in September. I've been lifting heavy since September and have been seeing really great progress, so I'm going to try my best not to lose too much ground. I do run normally, but...honestly, the only reason I'm doing the half is because my step dad asked me to run it with him. So, I'm not too hooked on getting a super fantastic time.

I am planning on following a modified version of Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan. My planned schedule is going to look something like this:

Monday: lift & stretch
    Tuesday: run
    Wednesday: lift and short run/walk
    Thursday: run
    Friday: lift & stretch
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: long run

At this point, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to be doing as far as my lifting goes. Right now, I am doing Stronglifts and I realize I most likely won't be able to continue with that as it calls for squatting 3 days per week. I'm thinking I'll do a push/pull/legs split with legs being on Friday. Who knows...I have a bit more time to think about it.

I'm fully planning on having to increase my cals too. i really, really don't want to lose any muscle strength or gains I've made.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon as well and I lift 3 days/week. Thus far, its only done positive things for my running.
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon as well and I lift 3 days/week. Thus far, its only done positive things for my running.

Are you doing a full body routine all three days you lift or a split? Do you find you have any crazy leg fatigue?
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Are you doing a full body routine all three days you lift or a split? Do you find you have any crazy leg fatigue?

i just posted in the stronglifts women group about this. i do SL MWF and run 3xs a week. I'm definitely starting to have leg fatigue now that the weights are getting heavier. But i love running!!!! Something's gotta give though...
  • heybales
    Options
    i just posted in the stronglifts women group about this. i do SL MWF and run 3xs a week. I'm definitely starting to have leg fatigue now that the weights are getting heavier. But i love running!!!! Something's gotta give though...

What will likely give is improvement to either, at least not what could be had.

You'll either need to drop the legs from one lifting day, or just do 2 lifting days and 3 running days.

If Running the day before lifting up to 60 min max Aerobic HR zone, though that may even leave the legs tired for lifting the next day. If so, back it down. You can't get the benefit from the lifting if doing it on tired muscles.

Running the day after lifting up to 60 min max Active Recovery HR zone, doesn't add much of a load, should allow full repair from the lifting, and will train the fat-burning endurance system.

So that takes care of 2 runs at pace and training the endurance system.

1 other day of the long run at whatever pace is correct for that distance, probably top of Aerobic zone for training endurance system, with rest day after, and proceeded by rest day or a Recovery run. No need going into long run tired either.

Schedule used might be:
    Sat long run
    Sun rest
    Mon aerobic run
    Tue lift
    Wed recovery run
    Thu lift
    Fri walk

Not really a way to do 3 x lifting unless lower body is dropped. You just can't get the rest and recovery, and that is the only place for improvement from a load put on the muscle, during that time.

And really, if you can't go into lifting session with rested muscles able to push hard, or don't allow full repair to them the day after, then your lifting session is really a waste of time, no need pretending you are getting out of it what you could, just skip it or do upper only.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options

You'll either need to drop the legs from one lifting day, or just do 2 lifting days and 3 running days.

If Running the day before lifting up to 60 min max Aerobic HR zone, though that may even leave the legs tired for lifting the next day. If so, back it down. You can't get the benefit from the lifting if doing it on tired muscles.

Running the day after lifting up to 60 min max Active Recovery HR zone, doesn't add much of a load, should allow full repair from the lifting, and will train the fat-burning endurance system.

1 other day of the long run at whatever pace is correct for that distance, probably top of Aerobic zone for training endurance system, with rest day after, and proceeded by rest day or a Recovery run. No need going into long run tired either.

Schedule used might be:
    Sat long run
    Sun rest
    Mon aerobic run
    Tue lift
    Wed recovery run
    Thu lift
    Fri walk

Not really a way to do 3 x lifting unless lower body is dropped. You just can't get the rest and recovery, and that is the only place for improvement from a load put on the muscle, during that time.

And really, if you can't go into lifting session with rested muscles able to push hard, or don't allow full repair to them the day after, then your lifting session is really a waste of time, no need pretending you are getting out of it what you could, just skip it or do upper only.

hmm...i really want to keep going with the SL program as designed. I'd rather (at this point at least) cut back running to 2 days. so, i'm thinking...

Sun - run
    M - SL
    T - rest
    W - SL
    H - run
    F - SL
    Sat - rest (maybe walk)

Does that look better?? I only run 4 miles and I'm not training for anything.
  • heybales
    Options
    hmm...i really want to keep going with the SL program as designed. I'd rather (at this point at least) cut back running to 2 days. so, i'm thinking...

Sun - run
    M - SL
    T - rest
    W - SL
    H - run
    F - SL
    Sat - rest (maybe walk)

Does that look better?? I only run 4 miles and I'm not training for anything.

Oh, in that case very easy, yes.
    That Sun run up to top of Aerobic zone for 60 min, Thu run in Recovery zone for up to 60 min.
  • sarahstrezo
    Options

Schedule used might be:
    Sat long run
    Sun rest
    Mon aerobic run
    Tue lift
    Wed recovery run
    Thu lift
    Fri walk

Thanks for this info.
    I'm still trying to figure out what my plan will be come June 1st. I know I most likely won't be able to proceed with SL and squat 3 times per week, increasing weight AND increase my distance weekly.
    I'm fully OK with the idea of just maintaining and not increasing my lifting gains for the last 4-6 weeks of the half training and then go back to focusing on lifting after the race. I just really, really don't want o sacrifice a single ounce of muscle strength/gains that I've made up until then.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Great chunk of information here. Thank you for starting this thread. I've been thinking on these lines myself. Ihave 13.65 miles under my belt but it took 09:09:12 and I'd like to get it done again quicker. I think I've learned a ton by reading these.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I've done a 1/2 and preparing for 3 this summer all the while lifting 3x/wk. I do an upper/lower split but cut my lower down to once a week. You can still lift 3 times a week and do your running, you have to find the right balance.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was actually just researching this myself. This article addresses it and I am on doing it like recommended on Tuesday and Thursday. As they point out this is my lowest mileage day.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

Hope this helps you with your training for a half marathon. Prepping myself for a half marathon in October.

Thanks for posting this link
    I ran a marathon and got a pb in december and I'm training for Paris at the beginning of Apr.
    Lifting has dramatically improved the way I feel when I run - specifically hills, and core strength when i tire.

All my workouts bar the long run are focussed on making my legs burn for increasing my lactate threshold.

The last week or so of my training (squeezed in around work hence why my rest days arent where they should be!) are as follows, for anyone whos interested;

Sun 3 feb - half marathon race (pb)
    mon 4 feb - spin class + weights (weighted squats, jump squats, pistol squats, ab routine, some trx)
    tues 5 feb - rest
    wed 6 feb - hill training run 9x30sec efforts.
    Sat 9 feb - 3 mile reps (total distance 5.55miles)
    Mon 11 Feb - 15 mile run (this is a down week because of the races, I usually do 20!)
    Tues 12 Feb - Spinning (pm - Crossfit beginners class)
    Thurs 14 Feb - Spinning (pm beginners crossfit class)
    Fri 15 feb - short interval session on bike + squats, deadlifts, bicep curls (nursing shoulder injury)
    Tomorrow - Just spinning
    Sunday - Half marathon race.

Then the running ramps up again.
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    I've done a 1/2 and preparing for 3 this summer all the while lifting 3x/wk. I do an upper/lower split but cut my lower down to once a week. You can still lift 3 times a week and do your running, you have to find the right balance.

If you don't mind sharing...what does your schedule look like?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you are getting a lot of advice from lifters, not from runners. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.
    I lift sometimes, and I run. And, I find that the day after lifting I do not run very well. My legs are tired. I can do it. But I am slow.
    If you are trying to ramp up your miles, and/or get faster, I think you are going to find that too much lifting is counterproductive. You need to have your legs under you to run and improve. Lifting is not going to do much for your lung and breathing capacity.
    Also, I know it has become an article of faith around here that if you run only you are going to lose muscle mass. But, I think that strains credibility. I think running makes my legs pretty strong, and it is the movement and motions they were designed for.
    Yes, running burns a lot of calories, and, yes, if I am operating on a calorie deficit I am going to lose mass somewhere. I suppose some of it will be muscle. It can be hard to keep up with all the calories you burn training for a long race.
    But, they also say that if you are lifting, and not eating enough, you won't get any stronger.
    Isn't that just the same as what can happen with the running? It is just harder to keep up with all the calories you need if you are running than if you are lifting, which burns less.
    I kinda think we humans were built to run. Otherwise, back in the day, the lions would have got us and our dinner would have got away. We didn't have a big call for strength. You did not need to lift a huge boulder to clonk your prey; you could do it with a small one. But you did have to chase.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

If you don't mind sharing...what does your schedule look like?

Not at all, it's just rather crazy bc of work. I'm a nurse and 1 week I work 60-65 hrs/wk and the next I only have 1 shift so I've structured it based on that.

Heavy Work Week
    Su-Upper/Short, easy recovery run
    M-Work/Rest
    T-Work/Short, easy run (If I'm off at a good time and have energy)
    W-Legs/Speed work run 30-40 mins
    R-Work/Rest
    F-Long Run
    S-Work/Easy 1-2 miler after work or walk

Easy Work Week
    Su-Work/Rest
    M-Upper
    T-Mid range Run
    W-Legs
    R-Upper/Speed Work
    F-Work/Rest
    S-Long Run

My leg routines differ than most. During race prep I scale back to 60-70% of my max weight and do higher reps. I also add in some plyo work and do more supersets. In the off season I'm back to heavier weights with the 3-5 sets with low rep range. This is what works for me and I have lifted long enough to know how my body responds. The only time lifting has ever effected my running was when I was stupid and cut leg day out 8-10 weeks before my race. It actually hurt me in the long run. I also find those that don't lift when running seem to battle more injuries bc of weak glutes etc. One thing that greatly helps me recover after leg day/run is foam rolling and stretching; very key.