Refrigerator Oatmeal - BLECH! - What am I doing Wrong?

Options

Replies

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The last experiment came out better than the first try. First time was with steel cut oats, ended up far chewier than I like. Second time used "quick" oats, and with the exception of adding too much since I thought it was too runny at night turned out decent. The addition of a little peanut butter and nutellla helped immensely. But it's not for everyone.

1/4c quick oats
    1/4c greek yogurt
    1/3 cup 2% milk
    1tbsp flax meal
    1tbsp peanut butter
    1tbsp nutella

Trying it again tomorrow since I'm out of my weekly big batch of steel cut oats I made on Sunday.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Use Steel cut get rid of the instant or the other kind the steel cut is way better more texter I make a full batch once a week put it in containers and breakfeast everymorning. Takes me about 1 hour a week to make a full batch. I like the McCanns Steel cut Irish Oatmeal. Yummie.
  • PaperDahlia
    PaperDahlia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Could it be the flax seeds? or the brand /type of oats?
    I only use Chia seeds...the recipes here are good, although too much fruit is used (in my opinion!)
    so just adapt them to be healthier in your own way.
    using this base formula-- they come out great, every time!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

if its too thick, try a little more yogurt and milk. (I don't use milk all that often- I stick to almond milk and coconut milk. i've also read you can make this without the yogurt, too.
    http://laviediy.blogspot.com/2012/06/dairy-free-refrigerator-oatmeal.html

mine always comes out creamy with a nice soft texture.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tried fridge oatmeal recently. We are both big oatmeal lovers, but neither of us cared for this. To me it had the exact same taste amd texture as raw bread dough....very sticky and stretchy. I might try it again and use my vanilla soy milk instead of the yogurt and maybe add some Splenda. Just my 2 cents.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You can cook regular oats just like instant--I do it every morning. Cook for 1-2 minutes (I do about one because I like a lot of texture in my oatmeal) and you have quick, non-messy real oatmeal.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Why not just make a big batch of oatmeal on the stove and keep in the fridge? This is what I do with steel cut oats. I just cut out a square of cold oatmeal, heat in the microwave with a little water for 2 minutes, add milk, flax meal, chopped walnuts and a banana. I tried the overnight stovetop method but I didn't like the thin soupy texture. I prefer my oatmeal thick and creamy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It tastes like vomit to me so I just eat instant oatmeal in the morning. Screw that cold baby throw up.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's just nasty stuff.

This ^^^

I make baked oatmeal bars and add protein powder and hemp seeds to them. One will keep me full for several hours at just about 450 calories.

That sounds good. Do you have a link to a recipe?
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love it. I just put together some for tomorrow morning.
    1/2 c oatmeal
    Greek yogurt
    Banana
    Peanut butter

I just take it out when I wake up in the morning and eat it after I get ready. So it is room temperature.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I tried it twice too and found it nasty. I just do the quick oats in the morning or I will make oatmeal bake the day before. I either eat cold or nuke it.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've tried to get it to work out so often that I've banned myself from ever trying again. I have never had one come out that wasnt absolutely disgusting.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I tried a few recipes and hated them all until I tried this one. The applesauce made the difference. I use no sugar added applesauce.

1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
    1/3 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar
    Stevia to taste
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love refrigerator oatmeal and eat it 4 to 5 times a week. You should add some sort of fruit to yours. Mine mixture is typically
    oatmeal
    yogurt
    almond milk
    sweetener
    fruit
    because yes without the fruit it is a bland pasty mess. I also think it's an acquired taste. My fiance tried some once and he couldn't get over the texture. To each his own. If you don't like it, don't eat it, I however would suggest you try it at least one more time with the fruit added :smile:
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried a few recipes and hated them all until I tried this one. The applesauce made the difference. I use no sugar added applesauce.

1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
    1/3 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar
    Stevia to taste

I do this, but I'll also add half a chopped apple and a teaspoon of cinnamon (I love cinnamon) and maybe a half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. yummy!
  • mandrrs
    mandrrs Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't get enough of this stuff! Here's how I make mine, hope it helps!

1/4 cup steel cut oats (these will be "chewier" than regular oats)
    1 tbsp flax seeds
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup milk (skim, soy, rice, almond, doesn't matter)

Mix those and let sit overnight.

In the morning add 1-2 tbsp honey, a few shakes of cinnamon, and half of a banana, sliced.

I love this version. It has all the healthy stuff in it, but the banana and honey make it super yummy!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i use a packet of maple brown sugar oatmeal, 2/3 c soy milk, 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1 T chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla and stevia & i stir in strawberries just before i eat it. the chia seeds give it a more pudding-like texture.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many times to like oatmeal, but I just can't stand it! Looks like barf to me and I can't get over the texture BLECH :sick:

Edited to add; the only time I seemed to enjoy oatmeal is inside of an ohh so forbidden cookie lol
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It took some trial/error but I finally came up with a recipe that works...so far everyone I share it with enjoys it.

1/3 c Bob's Red Mill - 5 Grain Plus Flaxseed Rolled Whole Grain Hot Cereal
    1/2 scoop strawberry protein powder
    1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
    Dash of cinnamon
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's nasty. But I think we are in the minority.

I'd rather get steel-cut oats, bring them to a boil at night, turn off the heat and cover it, and have proper oatmeal in the morning.
    The perfect oats.

This is what I do as well! I love it with some milk and a drizzle of real maple syrup - YUMM!
  • emmoon
    emmoon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i soak oats in low fat milk and fresh apple juice. I was really hesitant to try it at first, but I really like it.