Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It is nice to know that as I am going to the doctor that some jerk is going to be judging the rest of my life by a single day. Thanks.:huh:
    This "jerk" is the same guy who assists many females in reducing that gain. As I iterated earlier, an observation isn't judging. If I judged overweight/obese people with a bad view, then I why would want to try to help them as a career? Working in a Wellness Center (it's a gym attached to a hospital) I am involved with people with myriad of health issues (cancer, reconstructive surgery, gastric bypass, heart patients etc.) and carrying a judgmental attitude towards bad health would mean failure.
    I did mention that I was being assumptive (since I had no information on any of their histories), but my statements aren't condoning.................some are perceiving it that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

then maybe you need some sensitivity training since the first thing that came to mind after reading this was... So it's totally okay for me to say rude things about black people and make assumptions about them because I work with inner city kids, and do outreach to jails, where most of my clients are black. I mean that's okay right? you know since I work with them I can't possibly be saying anything offensive if I point out a bunch of stereotypes about them. Oh or maybe you missed a history lesson on all those white people who helped the Native American's be more white so they would fit in, I'm sure that was based on respect not discrimination. Yup, I think jerk was pretty smash on.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options

It is nice to know that as I am going to the doctor that some jerk is going to be judging the rest of my life by a single day. Thanks.:huh:

I've got a news flash for you. You're being judged every time you see other people. Not just fat people are judged. We make judgments about every person we see and if you say you don't, you're lying. We categorize people by age, sex, color, height, weight, whether we find them attractive, habits, clothing, etc.

Almost everywhere I go, I have 7 children with me. I assure you what age,color,height,weight, etc. you are is the furthest thing from my mind. Maybe someday, I will again have the luxury of being judgemental. Also there is also a difference between basic observation and judgement.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    While a lot of people are kind of pooping on this post (especially because it's from a man), it's good for people to know that it isn't healthy. There are a lot of people who were going to "eat for two", but once they hear information like this from any source will take a step back and be healthier (and make post pregnancy less stressful) by not gaining 60 pounds per pregnancy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    As for the assumption that everyone who works in a field automatically feels empathy for their clientele, well that is just laughable.
    Well let's just say then that since you don't know me, then you can't say I'm being judgy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    HA your in the fitness industry and here trying to lose weight. You OBVIOUSLY picked the wrong profession.
    As you can see by my pics, I'm a body builder too. We do bulk up in the off season (that means gain weight). AD HOMINEM. Stick to the topic.

IDEA Fitness member

Why stick to the topic? Touchy subject for you? It's okay for you to talk down about pregnant women but when you personally are attacked we should back off? Hurt your feelings?
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love when men nag about **** that has nothing to do with them.

'cause their partners health and well being has nothing to do with them :drinker:

Haha no I think the point is that a random new mom in a waiting rooms health has nothing to do with the OP

Oh and edit after reading everyone elses hate posts--- OP is spot on!! Eating for two isn't just a myth it is unhealthy for mom and baby!! Soooo many women do it- hell I was 8 weeks prego and stopping for ice cream snickers on the way to work!! Re-freakin-diculous! Someone needs to help women to realize what a mistake they are making...don't think this post will do the job but hey.....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Exactly
    It is easy to tell us how to be pregnant
    never mind the intense hunger and cravings
    and just trying to get by
    peeing when you cough or sneeze
    an abdomen the size of a watermelon
    loss of sleep
    pain
    general swelling and discomfort
    I could go on and on
    next time I get preggers i got to go talk to a man
    cuz obvi i did it wrong
    I lived with it.:laugh: On a lighter note, I wished I would have had the symptoms instead of having to hear about it for 9 months.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Wait Wait I missed that and should have mentioned it. So you are saying that in the off time you let your body go and gain weight? What kind of sense does that make?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    then maybe you need some sensitivity training since the first thing that came to mind after reading this was... So it's totally okay for me to say rude things about black people and make assumptions about them because I work with inner city kids, and do outreach to jails, where most of my clients are black. I mean that's okay right? you know since I work with them I can't possibly be saying anything offensive if I point out a bunch of stereotypes about them. Oh or maybe you missed a history lesson on all those white people who helped the Native American's be more white so they would fit in, I'm sure that was based on respect not discrimination. Yup, I think jerk was pretty smash on.
    Or maybe you're just over sensitive? Perception is an individual thing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    While a lot of people are kind of pooping on this post (especially because it's from a man), it's good for people to know that it isn't healthy. There are a lot of people who were going to "eat for two", but once they hear information like this from any source will take a step back and be healthier (and make post pregnancy less stressful) by not gaining 60 pounds per pregnancy.

I have no objection to the idea of educating what a healthy weight gain should be or educating on how to obtain that. If a woman wrote this post I would still have the same objections = the WAY it was written.
    Doctors should do a better job in educating their patients on this topic. I had asked at my appointments what the weight gain should be and other related topics and was told that they don't really worry about it. So, while there does need to be better education (most of what I learned was from private study not a doctor), it can definitely be said in a much more constructive manner.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ok, when I was pregnant, at the start of it, I was 243. I started watching what I ate, and was very active, within the first month or so, I went from 243 to 225, and the next month went to 220. Managed to stay between 217-219. Mind you had no morning and ate only when hungry. In Jan of 2012, I had our son, he was a healthy 7lbs 12 oz.

When I rejoined MFP, my starting weight was at 205, but that was a month or so after my son was born and after my milk ran out (it was due to stress that my body couldn't produce anymore) and I have continued to lose weight since.

While I agree that there are moms who eat like nobody's business (as a matter of fact I know a few in my hometown) and trust me the obgyn was worried when I wasn't gaining, I didn't worry because I knew I was obese and honestly if I ever did have another kid, I would want to make sure that I didn't gain a ton of weight because its taken almost 2 years to get my weight down.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You're not a doctor. If you think that you have a right to comment on the pregnancies of women in general because you chose a profession that has you working with some women who recently gave birth, you are sadly mistaken and makes you look foolish.

Yes, some women again excessively while pregnant. Yes, some are overweight before they got pregnant. Let me ask you, Have you ever been pregnant? No, probably not. Let me clue you in: It's difficult to control your weight when you are pregnant. You are probably thinking "Oh she must have gained a ton!" No. I gained 13 pounds. I was profoundly sick the entire time. DO you know how many people suggested to me how BAD that must be for me and my daughter? A lot. Do you know how many of those people had ANY right to suggest that? 0. A pregnancy doesn't have to be "ideal" to be considered "healthy".

There is enough pressure on women to live up to arbitrary ideals set forth mostly by men who think their opinion matter simply because they have them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Or, I'll end up being a scape goat for massive weight gain.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    HA your in the fitness industry and here trying to lose weight. You OBVIOUSLY picked the wrong profession.
    As you can see by my pics, I'm a body builder too. We do bulk up in the off season (that means gain weight). AD HOMINEM. Stick to the topic.

IDEA Fitness member

Why stick to the topic? Touchy subject for you? It's okay for you to talk down about pregnant women but when you personally are attacked we should back off? Hurt your feelings?
    Would take a lot to hurt my feelings.:laugh: Point is that my bulking and cutting cycles have nothing to do with this thread and detracts from it.
    And where in this thread have I personally attacked anyone let alone pregnant females? Again perception is an individual thing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mindiv
    mindiv Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's not always so black and white. I lost 80 pounds prior to becoming pregnant, and maintained that loss for more than two years. I went into pregnancy "planning" to gain the recommended 25-30 pounds, maximum, for my height. I'd been working out and weight training five days a week and never stopped. I never missed a workout through 9 months of pregnancy. I ate high fiber foods, more veggies and fruits than ever before, and plenty of lean meats. In fact, I ate BETTER during pregnancy than I had ever before. I slept well and wasn't stressed out. I had a perfect pregnancy and stayed active. In fact, my water BROKE when I was getting up early to do yoga.

I gained 50 pounds.

Judging someone you see in a waiting room without knowing the story behind it is kind of closed minded. Just my two cents.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wait Wait I missed that and should have mentioned it. So you are saying that in the off time you let your body go and gain weight? What kind of sense does that make?
    PM me if you want to know. Let's not discuss it here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's eating for 1.2, not two. But as long as you are eating healthy foods and getting moderate exercise (not sitting on the couch eating fritos) then I'd worry less about pregnancy weight gain and more about overall health. My skinny-skinny co-worker gained 70 and managed to lose it a year after childbirth.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Would take a lot to hurt my feelings.:laugh: Point is that my bulking and cutting cycles have nothing to do with this thread and detracts from it.
    And where in this thread have I personally attacked anyone let alone pregnant females? Again perception is an individual thing.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you sure you know what you posted? Where did you personally attack pregnant females. I think you should re-read the very first post of this form...