Cures For The Low Carb Flu

Options
2»

Replies

• PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    I started out doing Atkins. I lost 60lbs. on it, and then I got pregnant. Since my daughter has been born, I have tried induction several times and failed because it's so hard to stick to fixing something healthy when there's a baby screaming her lungs out =( but I've made the decision to start planning it better, because a new baby is no excuse - she should be my motivator! I'm sick of doing what's easy, because what's easy is what got me to obesity.

Anyway, when I started Atkins, I didn't start off drinking the water two weeks straight as it called for. I weened myself of soda by having a couple drinks a day.. then I moved on to those little packets you can stick in the water, they have NOTHING in them at all, no carbs! Crystal Light Lemon Tea was the one I used the most. Eventually, I finally got to where I was drinking four or five 36 oz bottles of water a day, and when I went without my water, I felt like crud. Gradually pull yourself off the bad stuff.. I believe in caffeine headaches and somewhat "sugar withdrawal." After the two straight weeks, however, my sweet tooth was totally gone.. I didn't want the cookies, chocolate, etc.

Thanks for the advice, and sharing your personal struggle. Hang in there, things will get better with the baby.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    Hmm, why not just eat in moderation???... Why put yourself through that, completely restricting yourself, if you feel that terrible!? Listen to your body, eff!

4ndr5.gif

Tina Fey cracks me up. Thanks for a good giggle.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am starting induction again today. This is my 4th time. Each time I am unable to sustain low levels (below 50g) because I get "the low carb flu". Boy do I get it. Achy limbs, dizziness, blurry vision, you name it. Each time it is so awful I can't last for more than 3 days. At the 3 day mark I am literally so ill that I tear into anything with carbs to make the limb pain stop. Scary huh?!?

Nevertheless, I am trying it again. This time I am drinking WATER like it's the only beverage on earth (6 glasses so far today). I'm feeling okay, but I am afraid the flu could be lurking. Does anyone who gets the "flu" have any other things besides the water I can do to ward off the symptoms?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

There could be several things going on. The first that comes to mind is that you are having a "die-off" reaction of yeast colonies in the gut. The little yeast beasties are used to getting their sugar and simple carb fix and they start to die-off (from starvation) when they are deprived of fuel. When the yeast die, they release toxins into the gut where they are absorbed and sent into the bloodstream to wreak havoc with bodily systems. The die-off reaction can last for a few days provided you don't start loading up on sugar and simple carbs which will short-circuit the detoxification. It is essential that you eat a LOT of vegetables during this phase as vegetables of any kind help in detoxification. Spinach is especially valuable as is butter (butter contains an anti-yeast agent called butyric acid) for combating the yeasts and the toxins they shed.

Your stated carb intake is not low enough to be causing serious ketosis but there could be ketone bodies present just from fat-burning, if you are engaging in serious exercise. Ketosis can produce some of the same symptoms that you have spoken of---because it is a mildly toxic condition. Water is very important to flush out the by-products of body-fat consumption, and it is especially important when ketone bodies are present.

The muscle aches may be a product of low magnesium levels if you are used to getting a lot of your magnesium requirements from whole grains. If you have especially large, firm muscles, your magnesium requirements will be much higher than your lightly-muscled friends. Magnesium supplements rarely help a great deal because they are poorly absorbed, due to their tendency to create diarrhea. A better alternative is to take epsom salts baths (epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate). The sulphate absorption will do good things for your muscles as well. The more deficient you are, the more magnesium you will absorb through your skin. Just follow the directions on the package--Epsom salts are available at Wal-Mart, I think, as well as most pharmacies. There is also something called "magnesium oil" which is derived from evaporated sea water. It is magnesium chloride but the sulphate that you get in the Epsom salts may be more beneficial as we rarely have chloride deficiencies (because we eat a lot of sodium chloride--salt) but sulphur deficiencies are common.

Not only will the magnesium give you added energy (an abundance of magnesium ions in the blood are essential for the transport of ATP---the enzyme responsible for energy at the cellular level)---bringing your magnesium levels up will also help you to better absorb and store potassium from the fruits and vegetables that you eat. You might want to avoid high sugar fruits like dried fruit for a while though as the high sugar content will feed the yeasts in your gut. Berries are the best source of lower-carb, fruit-eating (as you probably know). Good luck!:smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I just read back over the responses. Are you going below 50 grams of carbs? If so, it is NOT a good idea to stay at that level very long as it will induce severe ketosis. A few days of it can be safe for most people but many people feel awful because of the disruption to their biochemistry. A safer level is between 100 to 200 grams (on particularly strenuous days, the 200 gram level is preferable). Carbohydrates have what is called, a "muscle-sparing effect". When you go below 100 grams of carbohydrates per day, your body is likely to start catabolizing your muscles for energy. That is why, to be on the safe side, 200 grams is better if you are working out a lot.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am starting induction again today. This is my 4th time. Each time I am unable to sustain low levels (below 50g) because I get "the low carb flu". Boy do I get it. Achy limbs, dizziness, blurry vision, you name it. Each time it is so awful I can't last for more than 3 days. At the 3 day mark I am literally so ill that I tear into anything with carbs to make the limb pain stop. Scary huh?!?

Nevertheless, I am trying it again. This time I am drinking WATER like it's the only beverage on earth (6 glasses so far today). I'm feeling okay, but I am afraid the flu could be lurking. Does anyone who gets the "flu" have any other things besides the water I can do to ward off the symptoms?

There could be several things going on. The first that comes to mind is that you are having a "die-off" reaction of yeast colonies in the gut. The little yeast beasties are used to getting their sugar and simple carb fix and they start to die-off (from starvation) when they are deprived of fuel. When the yeast die, they release toxins into the gut where they are absorbed and sent into the bloodstream to wreak havoc with bodily systems. The die-off reaction can last for a few days provided you don't start loading up on sugar and simple carbs which will short-circuit the detoxification. It is essential that you eat a LOT of vegetables during this phase as vegetables of any kind help in detoxification. Spinach is especially valuable as is butter (butter contains an anti-yeast agent called butyric acid) for combating the yeasts and the toxins they shed.

Your stated carb intake is not low enough to be causing serious ketosis but there could be ketone bodies present just from fat-burning, if you are engaging in serious exercise. Ketosis can produce some of the same symptoms that you have spoken of---because it is a mildly toxic condition. Water is very important to flush out the by-products of body-fat consumption, and it is especially important when ketone bodies are present.

The muscle aches may be a product of low magnesium levels if you are used to getting a lot of your magnesium requirements from whole grains. If you have especially large, firm muscles, your magnesium requirements will be much higher than your lightly-muscled friends. Magnesium supplements rarely help a great deal because they are poorly absorbed, due to their tendency to create diarrhea. A better alternative is to take epsom salts baths (epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate). The sulphate absorption will do good things for your muscles as well. The more deficient you are, the more magnesium you will absorb through your skin. Just follow the directions on the package--Epsom salts are available at Wal-Mart, I think, as well as most pharmacies. There is also something called "magnesium oil" which is derived from evaporated sea water. It is magnesium chloride but the sulphate that you get in the Epsom salts may be more beneficial as we rarely have chloride deficiencies (because we eat a lot of sodium chloride--salt) but sulphur deficiencies are common.

Not only will the magnesium give you added energy (an abundance of magnesium ions in the blood are essential for the transport of ATP---the enzyme responsible for energy at the cellular level)---bringing your magnesium levels up will also help you to better absorb and store potassium from the fruits and vegetables that you eat. You might want to avoid high sugar fruits like dried fruit for a while though as the high sugar content will feed the yeasts in your gut. Berries are the best source of lower-carb, fruit-eating (as you probably know). Good luck!:smile:

Wow! This was so helpful. Especially the tips about the Epsom Salt. I never understood why the salts worked for pain. I do have a great deal of muscle. Especially in my upper body. This will go on my list of helpful hints. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this information.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Wow! This was so helpful. Especially the tips about the Epsom Salt. I never understood why the salts worked for pain. I do have a great deal of muscle. Especially in my upper body. This will go on my list of helpful hints. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this information.

You're welcome! :smile: You might also want to read my follow-up comment. 50 grams of carbs per day is too low. You need the protein-sparing effect of a higher carb intake---especially if you are working out a lot.
  • kservia
    Options
    You are so patient because I get so frustrated when people give two cents when you ask for 25. Nonetheless...I've started taking fish oil and a multi-vitamin every night this time around and I've noticed a huge difference since trying it 3 times before myself. Also the water and extra salt and fat (butter, olive oil, and coconut oil) are really helping as well.:smile:
  • valtiller
    Options
    You need carbs! The simplest form of carbohydrates is glucose. The body breaks down carbs to make glucose. Glucose feeds out brain and blood. Get your carbs. If you are avoiding bread carbs, then do so, but eat fruit that are high in carbs to feed your brain (bananas are awesome).
  • bouchie11982
    bouchie11982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Seeing as low carb diets have no metabolic advantage, why not just eat carbs to cure your low carb flu? Unless you have a medical disorder that would make low carb a more optimal dietary choice
    I agree. No need to go low carb. If you are doing low carb like no bread or pasta, no need to limit it, just make smarter carb choices. I have never seen anyone go as low as 50g a day for carbs, not even IFBB pros.
    Since this thread is back from late 2012, I hope you increased your carb intake by then and are feeling better.
  • Darlekins
    Options
    You need carbs! The simplest form of carbohydrates is glucose. The body breaks down carbs to make glucose. Glucose feeds out brain and blood. Get your carbs. If you are avoiding bread carbs, then do so, but eat fruit that are high in carbs to feed your brain (bananas are awesome).

Did you miss that the OP has blood sugar issues? Carbs in the form of grains and fruits are the last thing someone with blood sugar issues needs.

Op, I also sugggest some additional salt and fat - broth (especially homemade) is good. Reducing your carb level slowly will also help the flu symptoms. Good luck
  • dtothemoney
    dtothemoney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was frustrating for me to read through--remember, for some of you posters, that low-carb is not necessarily a "fad diet." For some of us, it is a mandatory lifestyle adjustment, if you have certain types of diabetes, or in my case, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's not about, "Why would you choose a diet that makes you feel bad?" "Why are you doing fad diets?" "Why are you being so silly as to cut out carbs like that?" "Don't you know that you NEED to have carbs in your diet?"

It's fine, because I used to be one of those people. I have some friends who used to be that way, until I was diagnosed. Then they realized that this isn't about joining the fad or just trying to lose weight, it's about avoiding diabetes and cancer issues that lurk around the corner for me for the rest of my life.

So, OP, I get it, and I know it can be hard. Realizing that the carb flu and some of the really, REALLY unpleasant parts about giving up carbs (including bodily side effects) are both normal and temporary has helped me push through. I personally increased my intake of B12 (If you're on Metformin, remember that it depletes you of B12, so you need to make up for it with supplements) and continued taking 2 cinnamon supplements a day--they help regulate blood sugar and overall helps with the nausea. Lots of water, avoid alcohol for the time being, continue powering through. You'll get past the wall soon enough--good luck to you!
  • valeriejohnston1884
    Options
    So I've started cutting back on the carbs quite a bit and feel absolutely lousy, achey everything, and just want to sleep. Thought I was going nuts or something. Can't wait for this crappy feeling to go away. How long will it be? Been 2 weeks now, and I'm drained to the bone. You've never seen anyone walk to so slow!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Seeing as low carb diets have no metabolic advantage, why not just eat carbs to cure your low carb flu? Unless you have a medical disorder that would make low carb a more optimal dietary choice

That's not true. LCHF diets have been proven to help people with binging and addictive tendencies. Someone like myself who needs the stability. Refined carbs have a detrimental effect on some people's bodies. This tends to be more common with women (my unscientific observation). A blood sugar spike is the LAST thing you want when your trying to reduce intake.

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I agree. No need to go low carb. If you are doing low carb like no bread or pasta, no need to limit it, just make smarter carb choices. I have never seen anyone go as low as 50g a day for carbs, not even IFBB pros.
    Since this thread is back from late 2012, I hope you increased your carb intake by then and are feeling better.

I eat less than 30 carbs a day. I did go though a few days where it was "hard" but once I adjusted I feel just fine. Most people on this forum are less than informed about the Keto lifestyle. I've been doing this for about 2 years. It works for me. I don't think its a good regime for everyone. But it helps me control my ED (binging/purging/sugar addiction). The kind of carbs which are "smart" mostly come from fibrous sources such as veggies. One does not require any sort of grain or refined carb to live. That's poppycock. In a ketogenic regime your main source of energy comes from fats - not carbs. The rest is filled with protein, the amount is dictated by how active you are, your goals, etc.

When you eat carbs derived from refined sources all it does is spike your insulin and make you hunger - faster. A meal which contains high levels of fats and protein will keep your insulin/BS stable and you will stay fuller for longer. Fat is not the enemy. Its by best buddy and its delicious. I haven't had breads, grains, rice, pasta, or twinkies for 2 years and I don't miss them. I do however like that I've lost nearly 90 lbs (started at 250lbs). If you would like to know more I suggest a quick google.