Do you have a brussels sprout recipe? Share!

Options
kelcro40
kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
I love fresh brussels sprouts, but really would like to add to them for variety. Please share if you have a recipe!

Replies

• olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Toss them with some salt and bacon fat and bake 15 minutes on each side
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I cut mine in halves or quarters and then lightly cover them with olive oil, put some fresh garlic and spices (pepper. dried ground bell pepper), then roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes on 400 degrees.
  • kimical5
    Options
    If you boil them for about 6 minutes and then toss them with a little butter, garlic, and a few bacon crumbles, salt and pepper...they are delicious!!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Soak in salt water for 15 minutes. Saute clove of fresh garlic in a couple tablespoons of EVOO, add sprouts and brown. Add half cup of chicken stock and let the liquid cook off or cook sprouts to desired texture. I season liberally with onion, garlic, pepper and anything else that strikes my fancy that night. I like to take mine off while they're still crisp.

Eta: cut into halves out quarters before you soak them
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Soak in salt water for 15 minutes. Saute clove of fresh garlic in a couple tablespoons of EVOO, add sprouts and brown. Add half cup of chicken stock and let the liquid cook off or cook sprouts to desired texture. I season liberally with onion, garlic, pepper and anything else that strikes my fancy that night. I like to take mine of while they're still crisp.

steam them in a steamer top with BUTTER BUDS, along with steamed carrots and potatoes
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple.

Wash, stem and trim about a dozen or so...slice in half and toss in a spoonful of olive oil. Roast at 400° till lightly charred all over, flipping them as needed. Hit 'em with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and sometimes a splash of balsamic vinegar.

A local restaurant serves 'em caramelized with a maple syrup reduction. Very tasty but too sweet for me these days. Although I would probably add some coarsely ground pecans to that, but that's just me.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Best addition to indian curried chicken - In my opinion! :blushing:

But in absence of time and energy to make a good curry, I usually roast them too haha
  • tbone0120
    Options
    I cook some bacon (don't need much, one or two slices) leaving the fat, add shredded brussels sprouts (they loose some bitterness that way), and finely sliced onions, saute until cooked and at the end drizzle some balsamic over the top... now I want them....
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Bump, learn new ways my kids might like!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My favorite, is to steam or boil them until they are just starting to soften, then lightly saute them on the stove with some pancetta, salt and pepper, until they have some nice brown spots. It's very easy and they taste delicious!

mail-1_zps55dcca0a.jpeg
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    MY FAVORITE VEGGIE BECAUSE OF THIS RECIPE!!

Brussel Sprout "French Fries"

Wash, slice off the bottoms, and peel off the outer layer. I spray them with a bit of olive oil then generously coat them with salt and garlic powder (and a bit of pepper).

I put them in the oven at 400 and roast them till the outsides are black and crispy - about 30-45mins. They end up crispy on the outside and soft on the inside - just like french fries!
  • agct1
    agct1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts soup w/smoked sausage:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-sausage-soup-10000001694239/

I use turkey smoked sausage and frozen brussel sprouts because they're cheaper. mmm!!!
  • monaattard1
    Options
    If you've never tried this, brussel sprouts are wonderful if you brush a bit of olive oil on them, sprinkle them with your favorite no-salt spice mix and pepper, then roast them in the oven at 420 degrees for about 25 to 35 minutes (depending on how soft you like them).They come out really sweet and delicious.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    boil for 15 minutes, with lemon juice and water.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Cool!
    MY FAVORITE VEGGIE BECAUSE OF THIS RECIPE!!

Brussel Sprout "French Fries"

Wash, slice off the bottoms, and peel off the outer layer. I spray them with a bit of olive oil then generously coat them with salt and garlic powder (and a bit of pepper).

I put them in the oven at 400 and roast them till the outsides are black and crispy - about 30-45mins. They end up crispy on the outside and soft on the inside - just like french fries!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I sear & steam them. Add halved sprouts to a HOT skillet with a little oil of your choice. Put them cut side down to get a little color, as browned as you like. Add seasoning of your choice (I like lemon pepper) - but beware, you pan will start to smoke with the seasoning, if it hasn't already, so get ready to do the next step quick. Add just enough water to evenly cover the bottom of your pan and immediately put a lid on it. Your sprouts are browned, seasoned, and now they're steaming to get done. I usually let it go until the water boiled off, a few minutes. I like them "medium" - not totally soft, but not crunchy either.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like to steam mine for about 6 or 7 minutes..let them cool, then roll them in egg whites or egg beaters, and a mixture of club crackers(crushed), Parmesan cheese, oregano and pepper...then bake them till tender....
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    wash & pat dry. trim the tips & slice in half. GENTLY.. very gently in a large bowl drizzle with olive oil, then toss gently with garlic and sea salt and powdered parmesean cheese (like the kind you put on pizza) bake in the oven on 400 for about 30-45 minutes.. shake the pan about half way through so they brown a little on both sides and the leaf tips start to blacken. they are AMAZING!
  • sweetpickle1004
    sweetpickle1004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    do you use frozen or fresh brussel sprouts for best results?
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here is my mothers recipe.

When cooking them for christmas dinner, add them to boiling water sometime in mid november.
    Then add half a pound of salt to the water. Keep them boiling for a month and a half til the water is grey and opaque and the sprouts are mush.
    Then slop them onto the plate.

In this way you will ensure that when any son you may or may not have grows up he will consider sprouts to be the spawn of satan and ban them permanently from his house.