What's the deal with gyms?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really like my gym, however, if I had the option to workout at home I would do it in a heartbeat. I know a lot of people at my gym and everyone is really friendly but I prefer just to get my workout done. Home gym would mean no distractions and no waiting for equipment. Plus, since we moved its a 20 minute drive each way. Like someone above said, by the time I get there and back I would be done. Also, I work shift work so my gym hours don't always work with my work hours.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I loved my old gym. I just hated driving to it. Now I have my own gym that I don't have to drive to and it's open 24/7.
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use both a gym and workout at home. I think it is a matter of preference for each of us. I pay a minimal fee to use my gym $10.60 a month and everyone is doing their own thing but sometimes I just want to workout on my total gym and bands at home. I think mixing it up works best for me so I don't get bored doing the same things all the time. Have a great workout no matter what you prefer.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If I had room in my apartment, I would workout at home. I don't enjoy people. :flowerforyou:

Also, I skimmed through looking for Seinfeld gifs and was disappointed.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my gym. It's my 'Me' time! I workout both at home and the gym, but definitely prefer my gym. I joined one month after I started my weight loss journey, and I honestly don't think I would have reached my goal without my gym. They are fantastic!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Workout at home, workout at the gym, workout on the bike, workout on the road, workout in the pool, workout in the shower, workout in the backyard, workout at a friend's house, workout at the Y, workout anywhere it matters not. Just workout.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. My gym has a great class schedule and excellent instructors/trainers.
  • slimgoody05
    slimgoody05 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out at the gym and at home. Right now, I have been going to the gym M, W, F at 6 am to get my morning workouts done. The gym is almost empty at that time, so I have no problem with the crowds. It is a local YMCA that just opened last year so they have all new equipment and a nice indoor track and pool.

I guess it all depends on the person.

Good luck everyone with your healthy fitness goals.:smile:
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read the topic name in Jerry Seinfelds voice?

:laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1) I don't have money for a gym.

2) The idea of getting into my car, fighting traffic, being in a noisy and too brightly-lit space around tons of strangers I don't know in and in place I'm not familiar with gives me a bit of a panic attack. It would only stress me out, not be conducive.

3) Therefore I work out at home or at my apartment complex's generally empty exercise room. It is best to use a system that I am comfortable with than one that upsets me so much I would avoid it.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I <3 the gyms I go to, they are my escape. Going to the gym keeps me sane and fitter than I would be attempting to work out at home. To each their own, we all gotta do what we gotta do! :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Whatever works. I worked out at home for years because it was convenient and cheap- bicycling or running outdoors, elliptical trainer, Nordic Track or exercise bike indoors, and a backyard pool in season. I got into gym workouts when my employer installed one and realized I was getting more intense, uninterrupted workouts.. No waiting at traffic lights, dodging traffic, slowing down my run because I was gasping in frigid air (I'm 60 and have had pneumonia once already). The machines give me good feedback.. I still bicycle, swim and run outdoors in good weather but have a gym at work and a membership at a great community center 5 minutes from the house.

For me, it's certainly not socializing or meat market- it's just a better workout most of the time.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Forgot a couple more things:

- I can have my water/milk/protein shake sitting right there and drink between sets.

- I can 'grunt' as much as I like. Apparently a lot of people don't understand that it's not a grunt, it's a word that has no translation into any other spoken language. ;) Anyway I can lift more, and I enjoy it more, when I'm squeezing my vocal chords. (And same with when I'm flexing my calves too. It's probably cross-wiring in my cerebellum but seems to recruit more muscle.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't like all the people that come with the gym. :P If I could afford the weights/bench I wouldn't go to the gym, but the gym on base is free so it makes more sense to go there.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My gym is now in garage. Which means I've now got zero excuses to not stick with my workout schedule.

When I had a gym membership it was too easy to make excuses to not go and keep my butt planted on the couch and gain weight.

I'm a home body and prefer it this way. Everyone is different. Don't be knocking people for their preferences. There's enough ways out there for everyone to get regular exercise in. A gym membership is simply one of many different options.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. I have 3 kids and a crazy mother in law at home. I get to get away for an hour a day. Whats not to like?

I also need to admit, my gym has a bar. :drinker:

I would join that gym.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've got over 400 lbs of weights, a squat rack, suspension trainer, 20 lb medicine ball, kettlebells, dumbbells, rebounder, a 100 lb heavy bag, and even a bosu at home. So exactly why should I give a gym another shot?

People eye-ballin' ya. ;) j/k Your setup sounds pretty sweet.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read the topic name in Jerry Seinfelds voice?

I totally did, even heard a bit of the theme song in my head.
    Same here. I was also tempted to add "I can pee in the shower," to my list of reasons to use my home gym. ;)
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    I'm a runner, so of course it's so much easier and faster to knock a quick 3 mile run than go to the gym. But there are just days I don't feel like running or it's pouring rain and I have to get a workout in - those are the days I'll use the gym. Plus, our 24 Hour Fitness has a pretty good kid's club, so I take advantage of that.

But when it come to cardio, it seems like it takes forever to do 30 minutes indoors (on the cardio machines) vs. running outdoors. And I feel like a get a better workout walking/jogging on real hills than doing it on a machine. However, i'm more disciplined to do strength training (weights, weight machines, crunches, push-ups) at the gym than at home.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I do both. I like my gym. There's a competition level that I don't have at home (there's always this 1 guy on the elliptical next to me that I sort of race with). I use the machines to get my cardio in. At home I do weights and circuits. There's just no place to do them at the gym. If I want to lift, I'm stuck in the weight area, where I can't really do the circuits that I know work for me. I guess it's one of those "different strokes for different folks" scenarios.