What treadmill do YOU use at your HOME?

Options
I'm looking to buy a treadmill for home. I've never bought one before. So...
What brand/model of treadmill do you use at your home?
Would you recommend or buy it again? Your advice and tips are greatly appreciated!
(The most I'm willing to spend is $1000.)
Thank you! :)

Replies

• rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    13-year old True 500 HRC. Best treadmill ever
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I spent $3000 on a Go fit Platinum....best thing I ever did!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have a low end commercial True that cost around $3k. I had a fold-up one before that was around $700 and it worked perfectly fine. Generally speaking once you spend more than $1k they have more electronic features, more powerful motor, heavier frame and a slightly better belt. The heavier frame and higher hp motors are needed for a gym where they are used a lot more and for heavier operators. Each model has a suggested max weight. I suggest you go try some out and see how they fit you. Some seem to need or like a wider longer belt. The most important features for your knees are the belt and cushioning. My first treadmill had a 1.5hp motor and it always worked fine. There are lots of great review sites online too.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    There's no way I can spend over $1000. I've been researching online like crazy, but still unsure, so I wanted to ask the people I trust .... YOU !!! :)
    I'm looking for at least a 2.5 hp motor.
    And cushion is important to me because I have bad knees. I'm looking to jog on it. Not just walk, so I need power and durability.
    I'm super nervous about buying a used one on craisglist.
    - Does anyone else have recommendations for me?
    Thank you!!! :)
  • meglet175
    Options
    Check out Craig's List or stores like Play It Again Sports to see if you can find a used treadmill in good condition - you know, one that was used a a clothesrack rather than for exercise.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be that nervous about buying a used one. This is one of the most common home exercise equipment that is bought and turned into an expensive clothes hanger. I sold my old one online for $75 mostly because I wanted to avoid throwing it away. I know it would have worked fine for many more years, but I just got it in my head I wanted a new one. There are tons of options in the $1k range.

Here are some review sites I found:
    http://www.treadmilltalk.com/
    http://treadmill-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://www.treadmill-world.com/ratings-reviews.html
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I spent about $300 but i read lots of reviews first. Mine is from the UK made by Pro-fitness. Im just a beginner so i got one with no incline which was as much as i could afford at the time. 2 years later its still going strong.
  • janellereese
    janellereese Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a Weslo (Walmart) treadmill that I bought for $200 and it was still running when I gave it away 4 years later. I was just wanting to walk off baby weight when I got it and it served it's purpose. I had started running on it when it was too cold to run outside and that's when I noticed that the distance/speed was VERY off. I still got a good timed workout done, I just didn't know how far or fast I was going. I would still use it if I had a place to put it. :)
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    yowza keewadin treadmill. had incredible reviews online, and i had non stop problems.
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    My NordicTrack 2170 or 2190 has been good for 3 years now. I'm sure I overpaid a bit for the name, but it's been reliable for me and my DW.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Precor

If you can't afford over $1000, go used or look for sales. Plenty of treadmills do the same things, you may just wanna research about brand name and other's experience with it (for quality) before making a decision.. as you should with anything you buy.
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Weslo Cadence. I've had 2....One I bought new for $300 in 1990-something (my ex pawned it) and I picked up another identical one for 10 bucks at an estate auction. I never knew how crappy it was until I went to the gym and used their LifeFitness Integrity machines. My dog runs on the old Weslo during bad weather...don't waste the money on cheap equipment.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordictrack Commercial and I really like it. It has the ifit card reader, which is pretty cool. I have a few Jillian Michael's "lose weight" programs and they work very well for it.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Bump for more recommendations :)

.... And thank you all so far for your input ! Very appreciated !
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Check out the Spirit Esprit line. You can usually find one of those for $1k.

IMO, It's a solid treadmill. Not many gimmicks, but has programs, quick-sets, heart rate, incline, handy controls on the arms, big deck, etc. And it is strong and stable enough to take me running on it at 330#.

Be careful with treadmill sales people. They are very much like used car sales people. :)
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had the pro-form XP weight loss 620 for about 6 yrs now and I LOVE it. Definitely great quality with all the bells and whistles. I think I paid about $800 for it. 6 yrs later, it's still like new, it's held up that well. Highly recommend.... :D
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I think at Costco its under $1000
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    We've got a Sole folding treamill. Great investment, was less than 1K.

The deck broke on it a year ago, but it had a lifetime warranty, and their customer service was great, gave 'em a call, and we had a new deck 2 days later.