Is this considered selfish?

Options

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    EDIT:Bear in mind you have only known her for a couple of years

You've only known your mother for a couple of years?

yeah....let's hear the story behind this.

something's not adding up.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Won a car texting but has no license and mom who abandoned her wants to smoke in it.

All I know is that this is a fascinating story... good luck to you!
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My brother borrowed my car for a few weeks, and he was very good about not smoking in the car, but unfortunately smokers just smoke before getting in the car and the smell is still in there. :( As someone who really really dislikes smoke, it bothered me. But I've known my brother forever, and trust him completely, I wouldn't let someone I met two years ago borrow my brand new car.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I would tell her she can use it only if you can ride along with her when she takes it anywhere cuz its a very brand new vehicle and if she doesn't smoke in the car.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Nope. Personally. I'd just sell the car and be done with the whole thing.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not lending my car out, especially to someone I know would smoke in it
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you won a brand new car from a text messaging contest but you do not have a drivers license (of course you are over 21). You leave the car in your parking space while you attempt to get your license. Your mother contacts you and says that she needs something to get around in. You know she smokes in the car and you want your car to stay new. Would you let her use the car until you get a license ? What would you do?

I'd go get my license that week. Problem solved. Plus, you probably don't have insurance if you don't have a license.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't share well with others when it comes to this kinda stuff myself, call me selfish but I'd rather not lose a friendship or family members love due to me spazzing out on them if they disrespected me. Better to just keep things simple in my opinion.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you won a brand new car from a text messaging contest but you do not have a drivers license (of course you are over 21). You leave the car in your parking space while you attempt to get your license. Your mother contacts you and says that she needs something to get around in. You know she smokes in the car and you want your car to stay new. Would you let her use the car until you get a license ? What would you do?

I'd go get my license that week. Problem solved. Plus, you probably don't have insurance if you don't have a license.

That's a pretty good point. The car probably isn't even legal to drive at the moment. Which, of course, rounds right back to the "no." answer.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

curious and curiouser
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No. It's a slippery slope. What's the ETA on getting the license?

Edit: Actually, in response to the original question- yeah it's kind of selfish, but it's the OK kind of selfish. You're not taking from someone else, you're just putting yourself first.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It is ok to say no.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It's your car and there arent many people I know that can afford to replace such an expensive item. You must assume worst case scenario when it comes to lending things out. It'll get wrecked. smoked in, or otherwise not taken care of. My vote would be not to lend it out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, that I know what it is like to have only recently met a bio parent. Usually it is complicated. Take care of yourself and the new relationship by not doing something that you feel uneasy about. As others have said, it's ok to say no.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this was a hypothetical. I guess the way I worded it was not clear enough. I entered a tv contest via text message and I got really excited because I thought about actually winning. Then I stopped because I immediately felt obligated to have to give the car to her since I don't have a license. (Used to live in a metropolitan area) She keeps telling me that when I get a car to go through her insurance since i am young. But she let her other daughter total (texting) her car so I don't think I could ever loan her my automobile.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

curious and curiouser

Why is this so baffling to everyone? I didn't meet my mom until I was about 17, and have maybe seen her 5 times in the past 8 years. I don't know her, nor do I have a desire to. It's not really that uncommon.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nope. The bus is there for people who need a ride and can't afford one.

(I've taken the bus before. I drive now).
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not selfish at all! I've known my dad my whole life and won't let him borrow my car, I know he drinks and drives. I let siblings and friends but not my dad.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this was a hypothetical. I guess the way I worded it was not clear enough. I entered a tv contest via text message and I got really excited because I thought about actually winning. Then I stopped because I immediately felt obligated to have to give the car to her since I don't have a license. (Used to live in a metropolitan area) She keeps telling me that when I get a car to go through her insurance since i am young. But she let her other daughter total (texting) her car so I don't think I could ever loan her my automobile.

Ok, so there is some clarification. I'm kind of a snob with my vehicles. I buy nice ones and don't hand over the keys to anyone. Hell, my wife never drove my last sports car (her choice). I'm particular about my vehicles. They are expensive. It doesn't matter what the sticker price is, they are probably expensive, in a sense, to you as well. Think replacement cost, costs to repair damage, etc.

I know someone who was borrowing a friends truck. He parked the truck in his driveway and that day was windy. His daughter has a basketball hoop in the driveway, one of those water/sand weighted ones. Apparently he didn't have enough weight in it and it blew over, fell on the truck and put a massive dent in the front quarter panel and ripped the antenna assembly clean off. Sticky situation.

Point? When you loan a vehicle, there are all sorts of crazy crap that can or can not happen. If it does, who will foot the bill? You or them? And if you have to make a claim on insurance, are they prepared to make the difference on you premiums when they go up due to the claim? You could also loan out the car 100 times and never have one single problem. I just don't like to play roulette with something that can cost so damn much.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    my mother no because we dont talk anymore.... and if u only knew her 2 years ago than no..... i wouldnt because then she will get used to it and stuff but i would let her take it around for a day or so ... not the entire time though.. ALSO if its not in your name yet then HECK NO because someone can steal it from you if its not in your name...... i think.. not positive.. lol..

but no ur not selfish if u dont let her use it everyday...