What a diet costs in reality, What do you pay per week?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I actually spend less now than I did before. I used to buy lots of tv dinners and boxed meals. My grocery bill has been cut $20-$30 a week on average.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Our goverment subsidise the farmers, then the supermarkets take that subsidey in the form of discounted milk!
    Or it may well come from a horse in the UK..
    Yep, there would be a way to get cheap protein, see if the processors in question would sell off their 'questionable' beef products cheap - I'd be at the head of the queue, lol!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it has risen? We have always spent about $70 at the grocery store for 2 people. Since we went healthier the bill has not gone up. I look for coupons. Fresh Vegetables go way farther in a meal than processed box stuff. A head of broccoli may be $2, but so is a box of mashed potatoes. Canned vegetables are even cheaper. We always look for the "bargain" meats. The ones that are about to expire so we get them 30% off.

We eat breakfast, salads every day and dinner will consist of a protein choice and one vegetable, and then skinny cow ice cream for dessert. Our grocery bill for 2 people has not changed, it may have even gotten cheaper because we choose to fill up on veggies rather than chips, boxed sides, frozen crap, etc.

I guess it depends on what type of "diet" you are doing. We don't do organic or weird milks. We drink real milk and regular vegetables. Why does your grocery bill increase on that?
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it has risen? We have always spent about $70 at the grocery store for 2 people. Since we went healthier the bill has not gone up. I look for coupons. Fresh Vegetables go way farther in a meal than processed box stuff. A head of broccoli may be $2, but so is a box of mashed potatoes. Canned vegetables are even cheaper. We always look for the "bargain" meats. The ones that are about to expire so we get them 30% off.

We eat breakfast, salads every day and dinner will consist of a protein choice and one vegetable, and then skinny cow ice cream for dessert. Our grocery bill for 2 people has not changed, it may have even gotten cheaper because we choose to fill up on veggies rather than chips, boxed sides, frozen crap, etc.

I guess it depends on what type of "diet" you are doing. We don't do organic or weird milks. We drink real milk and regular vegetables. Why does your grocery bill increase on that?

Hi, Protein drink, good 'fresh' food, more meat than pre diet, and not being educated in where to purchase it all from is My real problem with spiralling costs..
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm spending about $(CAN)100 every 2 weeks on food and what amounts to $15/week for my zumba classes and my swimming. My grocery bill has gone up but my food expense over all are down since I don't eat out nearly as much ( less than once a week )
  • mcneilhl84
    mcneilhl84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Being healthier can cost more on average although for two us we spend £40 a week (for 2) that doesnt include vitamins or gym membership.

My personal tips
    don't buy water just buy a few bottles and re use them.
    have you got a local market? it can work out cheaper sometimes and supports the local community
    Have you got a weekly meal list? I find it works out cheaper if you only buy what you need that week.....
    Buy offers where you can, but only if your going to use it.
    have you tried frozen chicken?? its a lot cheaper over time, its not ideal but might help for a while??

Hope that helps,
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I buy cans/bottles of bubbly water. I think of it as my gym membership. Some people spend money on the gym to be fit... I spend my money on bubbly water to be healthy. As I just can't drink it it flat, but get my water in if it tickles my throat.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Why is milk so cheap in the UK?

Our goverment subsidise the farmers, then the supermarkets take that subsidey in the form of discounted milk!
    Or it may well come from a horse in the UK..

HAHAHA!!! As an American living in the UK, I can say milk is one of the ONLY things cheaper here. When we were living in the States, our shopping bill was around 75.00 a week. Its almost twice that here. We just did our shopping today, we spent £68.00 at Aldi, and £56.00 at Morrisons. There are some things I just can't get at Aldi, and there are some things in "their brand" that we just don't like. OP...if you have an Aldi near by, try it out...you might be pleasantly surprised! Oh, and as for the Porridge/Oatmeal thing...having had both, they're the same thing. I like calling it porridge though...makes me feel like Goldilocks :bigsmile:
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think my grocery store cost went up, but the up-side is I don't eat out at all. I even work at an Italian restaurant. I carry my lunch and snacks with me. For portion control. And I eat healthier now, so of course that cost a bit more. But, again the up-side is, I'm going to look and feel better when this journey is over.

I spend about $50 a week for myself and the husband spends about $70 and more.
    I plan my meals, do an inspection of what I have on hand, and shop for what I need for the week.
    Husband gets ready to eat meals either from freezer or cans.
    I do cook for him on week ends, he wont eat my food because if I'm eating it then it's "diet food". It's not diet food, it's healthier food cooked better.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You have to eat anyway, right? I wouldn't count food expenses. I would, however, factor in things like a personal trainer, diet supplements (if any), exercise gear, running shoes, exercise classes or gym memberships, and any other equipment that you would use SPECIFICALLY in a diet/exercise program. But food? You'd eat even if you weren't on a diet, right? I would only could food if you bought special stuff like protein powder.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We average $125 a week or so but that includes a TON of organic produce and 2 school lunches for my kids everyday. (we go through 2 big containers of rasperries, a bulk thing of blueberries, a 5lb bag of apples, a bag of grapefruit, several pounds of bananas, a big bag of kiwi, a bulk thing of strawberries every week, not to mention the amount of dairy and eggs we go through then of course the meat, pasta, bread, and snacky stuff too!.) We are a family of 4.5 ;) The total includes non grocercy items like vingegar, dish soap, and laundry detergent.

ETA: I should add that before we started eating cleaner we were spending about $80/week on JUNK and processed foods (we still buy them but at least it takes less of our cart now), and at least $30-40 picking up something a few times a week because I didn't want to cook, or we wanted chips, ect. Since we've started eating better no one is asking for chips, or mcdonalds, ect.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Mornfresh superfast oats £2.65 for 2kg from the coop or nearer £2 form asda and cook and taste the same as quaker.

Eggs are eggs and can get 15 for £1.50 in iceland.

Try discount supplements for your protein, they normally have offers on different brands all the time.

Tesco and asda have some tasty flavoured almonds for £1 for 80grams but hide them down the crisp isle (dont be tempted)

try zip vit or simply supplements for your vits and make your own zma (sorry looked at your diary)

Try meat markets, can always barter with them and the more you go you will get better discounts.

Try this protein mate, one of the leading brands on the uk market and looking at your diary your getting twice and much for the same price as the gnc shakes your using. Mixes well straight into your oats for a sin free treat too.

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-whey-protein-reflex-nutrition-peptide-fusion-2-1kg

Or this one mate

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-whey-protein-cnp-professional-whey-protein-2-27kg
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

A lot of it depends on what you are switching from, too. I've never bought a lot of boxed sides or processed junk. So for me eating healthier means, say, replacing some of the pasta I'm having for dinner with a vegetable. 1 cup of most vegetables costs more than 1 cup of pasta thus my dinner just got more expensive. Maybe it's not drastic for that one instance, but when you have a budget as small as ours adding even 50 cents per meal creates a significant increase.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The bottom line tho is - Food costs have risen everywhere.
    We WISH we were paying what we used to a few years ago, good luck with that!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    blimy W05_Meat_Offers_uk.jpg

'Course, it says lamb... but horse to say what it really contains?
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've cut down on grocery bills sticking within my calorie limit, not eating out is probably the biggest factor in it. But I was listening to a podcast the other day that said yeah you may be spending more, but in the long run you will save in medication and hospital bills. That's definitely worth a thought! If you have to cut back in other places. My man and I don't pay for cable or satellite. We watch most of our tv at the gym. We will watch movies occasionally at home but it gets us out and about on our time off. I don't have my nails done I do it myself. Small things here and there can help! Couponing helps go to manufactures I things you are constantly buying, apparently they always are posting things on their sites. Good luck!
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Although I live with my partner I buy food and cook just for myself as he has no interest in eating what I eat. I don't have a car so I do my shopping online with Ocado. It tends to cost me between £60-£80 per fortnight, so £30-£40 per week.

I save money by not eating much meat, because I can't afford to eat large quantities of the quality of meat I want to eat. I buy organic chicken certified to Soil Association standard (the highest welfare standards in the UK). Two breasts, about 500g, cost £10 when not on sale, and I divide them into 4 so I can have a small portion of chicken with some meals. I also buy frozen wild caught king prawns when they're on sale. I will very rarely have an organic steak.

I buy a lot of beans, dried and canned, and I buy organic eggs, which aren't cheap and so make a meal in themselves. I buy high quality reduced fat pork sausages and freeze them - 2 of these with some beans is a good amount of protein in a meal. I buy frozen spinach, broccoli and edamame beans, partly because they're cheaper and partly because fresh veg tend to go off before I get around to eating them.

What else...potatoes. Wholewheat noodles. Wholewheat bread and bagels. No sugar peanut organic peanut butter. Apples. Cucumber. Fresh carved turkey breast, free range. Greek yoghurt. Rice pudding. Granola bars. Nuts, cheese, oatcakes. Wholegrain rice crackers, sweet and plain. Reduced fat hummus. Wholegrain couscous. String cheese. All of the above organic as far as I can afford (especially things made of milk.) Oh, those individual serving cans of tuna, canned in sunflower oil or brine (I've tried olive oil but I just don't like the taste in the tuna.) I could save money on this by buying bigger cans and saving them in the fridge, though. I cook in olive oil (whichever is a good oil on sale that fortnight) and coconut oil (stock up when Holland and Barrett have their 1p sale. This is where I get my manuka honey and acidophilous tablets as well - about £30 and it will all last me six months if not more.) Sometimes I get cream cheese, fruit juice...sometimes coconut milk.

The main thing I do to save money though is that I eat the same meals all the time. Breakfast is always a wholewheat bagel with peanut butter and manuka honey. Lunch is a turkey, cheese and cucumber sandwich with a string cheese, an apple, and a granola bar (these are my one real indulgence.) Tea could be any of the following:

- garlic, potato and white bean soup with a boiled egg, some cheese and a couple of rice cakes
    - baked potato with tuna, cheese, simmered black beans and/or hummus, with a big heap of cooked veg
    - butterbean and sausage stew with broccoli and spinach
    - stir fry with spinach, broccoli, wholewheat noodles and whatever protein I've got that week
    - protein cooked in coconut oil with wholegrain couscous and veg
    - omelette with veg and protein

Snacks are Greek yoghurt and honey, nuts, oatcakes and cream cheese, rice pudding, fruit.

Edit: I used to spend much more than this on food. I went through a phase where I shopped just for that night's meal. Those £15 add up. Then add on takeaways and alcohol. When I stopped doing all that I was astounded how much more money I had and I was able to afford all the above.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Since changing our foods to organic, grass-fed & pasture raised for the most part our family of 4-husband, me, 4yr old boy, 1 yr old boy-can spend between $150-250/week depending on our needs. Our 4yr old has Autism & sensory issues & is extremely picky about eating & 1 of the few good things I can buy for him that he is guaranteed to eat is bacon. At $8/pack of 9 slices we can easily spend over $30 alone on that every week. It's the quality meats, eggs & dairy that are the mostly costly overall.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You could cut your food bill massively by shopping at Aldi. Their fresh veggies are cheap (as low as 39p for the "fresh five" of the week) their dairy is ridiculously cheap too. Buy frozen fish fillets from them too, and frozen chicken breast from Iceland or Asda (5kg for less than £10 is a LOT of protein) and buying pasta etc in bulk to make your own snack pots.
    It's cheap to eat well if you're willing to buy in bulk or buy frozen. I wish to hell and back I was in the UK right now because my average shopping bill here in Japan is equalling about £80 a week which is UNTHINKABLE to me.

I LOVE ALDI! I get majority of my groceries here. Quality is great and cost effective. They are owned by Trader Joe's.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think I spend about $300 a month for food for 3-5 people. I get a lot of stuff from family...i.e farm fresh eggs, veggies from their gardens and what not. Pretty soon I will be putting my own garden together so that I can save even more money. I also like hunting and fishing or family has left over elk, venison or salmon from hunting/fishing trips. Once every month or two I buy freezer packs of meat from the local butcher shop that has grass fed beef and what-not, so I save a ton there. I probably only have to spend $80-$100 every two months if I get the right freezer packs. Pink Salmon season is almost here so I will be out there in the water trying to catch dinner. Sometimes I get lucky and my boyfriends mom will have a hen available for us to cook up.

Try looking for other ways to get the foods you eat that are cheaper? Veggies and fruits that are in season are going to be cheaper than the ones that aren't in season.