Thinking about joining weight watchers

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who have done WW (including me) and while its great to get weight off it doesn't stay off - because once you stop counting points you tend to go back to the same bad old ways!

I was always hungry on WW - so much so I'd go to bed really early because I'd run out of points! On here, I feel more in control here because its more precise. And I don't want to pay someone to tell me I'm overwight when I have a mirror to do that for free:wink::laugh:

In the end its what works for you. But I lvoe free and the money I save can be spent on "thin" clothes:bigsmile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I keep trying different things.. Clean eating, carb cycling, IF.

It sounds as though you've done all these since October, fallen off the wagon in January and are now thinking of trying yet another plan. Perhaps you're not giving anything enough time. I think you should stick to a plan for at least 8 to 12 weeks before assessing whether it works for you. Constantly trying new things because you feel they are not working for you doesn't give your body long enough to see if it really works.

Maybe WW will be the 'one' that you are able to follow long term, but then again will you be bored of it after a month and then want to try yet another plan? It seems as though you are looking to find a 'diet' rather than a lifestyle change.

Eat a bit less, exercise a bit more. It really is that simple. Learn your TDEE and record everything you eat on MFP. This makes you accountable because you know when you've eaten more or less than you've burned.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Spending money on something won't make you more accountable, more motivated or give you more willpower. Sorry, doesn't work that way. WW doesn't exactly send a "weight loss monkey" home with you to yell when you put a brownie in your mouth or drink too much beer. It's literally the same as MFP and it's free.
  • PHF58
    PHF58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it's a good program as is MFP but I found this workbook to be very helpful once I got serious and was willing to really take ahold of myself (tho no magic either, I still struggle....blah)
    J.Beck, Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss workbook. It helps you get your mind ready to tackle your eating, best book I've seen on the subject.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love MFP, to me it is similar to WW in the logging in of food, water and exercise. But I took off over
    100 pounds with WW and the meetings were very helpful. It helps to talk to people with the same
    issues, having a good leader to answer questions and advise when you hit a wall. If you can afford
    it, give yourself 6 weeks to see if things turn around for you. If I could afford it now, I would be
    going every week, with the same leader who inspired and encouraged me. I've now lost 162
    pounds and only have 46 to go to reach my target weight. Good Luck with whatever you decide!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    WW is not a lifestyle.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is great. I lost thirty five pounds. Then I quit counting points and gained it all back. There are a couple of big pluses.. The first is the meetings aspect. I loved the fact that I had people cheering my success. So now, I just post it all on Facebook and my friends and family cheer me on. I also loved the online tools. MFP has all of that for free.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW. I started MFP on Feb 20, 2012. I have lost 68 lbs. In the beginning, I tracked both WW and MFP. I noticed 2 differences : First, the healthier you eat, the more you can eat on WW. That is because fruits and vegetables are free and food with lower fat content and higher fiver have lower points. On MFP these foods have calories and do not hold any special place on food intake scale. However, if you eat sweets and takeout foods, you can eat more on MFP because you are only counting calories.

I double track with WW and MFP, I've been doing WW for a year now with much success, and I've noticed this same thing. I find it amusing when people say WW doesn't encourage healthy eating and MFP does since it's essentially the opposite. MFP is only a calorie counter, WW is a whole program to help you change your lifestyle.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First, the healthier you eat, the more you can eat on WW. That is because fruits and vegetables are free and food with lower fat content and higher fiver have lower points. On MFP these foods have calories and do not hold any special place on food intake scale. However, if you eat sweets and takeout foods, you can eat more on MFP because you are only counting calories.

I know, right?!

I come on here once a month a do a few days of diary, my calories swing between 1100 - 1600 per day but my macros are always around the same, which is what is helping me lose weight, it's not just all about the calories for me, but the stuff within them.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW. I started MFP on Feb 20, 2012. I have lost 68 lbs. In the beginning, I tracked both WW and MFP. I noticed 2 differences : First, the healthier you eat, the more you can eat on WW. That is because fruits and vegetables are free and food with lower fat content and higher fiver have lower points. On MFP these foods have calories and do not hold any special place on food intake scale. However, if you eat sweets and takeout foods, you can eat more on MFP because you are only counting calories.

I double track with WW and MFP, I've been doing WW for a year now with much success, and I've noticed this same thing. I find it amusing when people say WW doesn't encourage healthy eating and MFP does since it's essentially the opposite. MFP is only a calorie counter, WW is a whole program to help you change your lifestyle.
    Totally agree. I have never had any real success with WW but I feel out of all the programs out for weight loss it is the best one because there are no real gimmicks with buying food, protien bars, and meds.

I found a TOPS once and found it was more of a social club than being really serious about weight loss. I was not looking for social friends when I joined and I felt pressure to be friends outside of the program. But even it was OK for price. You get what you pay for. You can check around and see if you fit in with the groups. It is cheaper than WW for sure.

I am also a firm believer we all have to find what works for us and WW does teach you to eat for life and it is free if you reach goal and stay with it. :flowerforyou: And you always have MFP to help you stick with it. WW is definitely worth a try if you have the funds.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    First, the healthier you eat, the more you can eat on WW. That is because fruits and vegetables are free and food with lower fat content and higher fiver have lower points. On MFP these foods have calories and do not hold any special place on food intake scale. However, if you eat sweets and takeout foods, you can eat more on MFP because you are only counting calories.

I know, right?!

I come on here once a month a do a few days of diary, my calories swing between 1100 - 1600 per day but my macros are always around the same, which is what is helping me lose weight, it's not just all about the calories for me, but the stuff within them.
    Yes there is a good calorie and a bad calorie for sure. 220 in a order of fries or 220 calories in almonds or fruits is not created equal.
  • FitMama2Three
    FitMama2Three Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I personally find WW and the whole point conversion thing to be a nuisance. Really the goal is the same- to eat a variety of foods, watch portions, and stay under a calorie goal. And you can do that here for free. You can lose motivation with WW too and be out $60 bucks a month doing it.

I agree with pps. Increase your water, switch up your workouts and try to eat cleanly- eliminate processed food, track religiously and the weight will come off.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The question that sticks in my mind when I see these WW questions and everyone says, "But on WW, fruits and veggies are free points," is if ALL fruits and veggies are free points? Because I can see an insulin sensitive person (aka someone who thrives on a meat/veggies/rice diet) going haywire with bananas, strawberries, starchy veggies like peas/green beans. Then, because it's not logged, a person like me wouldn't realize that they have just put down 100g of carbs, which is HALF of what I eat daily, and would leave me wanting more sugar, even if it's from *healthy* sources. Thoughts? I'm just assuming since I've never done the program....
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    WW worked well for me the first time I wanted to lose weight. I lost about 30 pounds. I gained it all back later, of course, but that was because I wasn't following the program. It's very sustainable and you already know a lot of the concepts... the difference is the accountability. Knowing you're getting weighed in every week really helps you stay on track! :) Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're trying to change what you're doing too often for it to work. Carb cycling, then all clean, then etc... Give something more time before you decide that it isn't working in the first place.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    From my experience I think WW is the same as mfp but I think mfp is better bc it's free.

This!!! Honestly when I did WW I was n a room full of people but I didn't get to know any of them. We weighed in, sat through the meeting, and left. I have built much stronger relationships on MFP with people that actually encourage me.

Maybe you could start a weekly weigh in with some friends on your MFP. I'd be down lol.

And I think WW is a great program and can teach people alot about eating better, but telling people there are foods you can eat as much of as you want is not teaching them about portion & self control.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    WW is the same as any other weight loss plan. With that being said as with all other plans once you stop or not put any effort into it you will gain it back. It should be more of a life style change than just keeping track of points. Im sure youll lose with WW. I lost 28 lbs. super quick then quit WW and gained it all back. So basically all that money I spent ended up in the garbage. I say try WW for free but stick with MFP.
  • I've done ww. That's why I'm here. It's free and it's basically the same thing...only free.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You've been subsisting on fruit, yougurt & protein bars....have you thought about trying to eat some "real meals"? i.e. something that contains vegetables & meat? Is that the way you envision eating the rest of your life? It's little wonder that you've been obsessing over food. Start over again, eat well-balanced meals that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

After looking at your food diary I agree with this poster ^^^^^ . If you think WW will help you eat healthier than you should do it. If you're going to join and eat the same way see you just losing money. Best of luck!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    The question that sticks in my mind when I see these WW questions and everyone says, "But on WW, fruits and veggies are free points," is if ALL fruits and veggies are free points? Because I can see an insulin sensitive person (aka someone who thrives on a meat/veggies/rice diet) going haywire with bananas, strawberries, starchy veggies like peas/green beans. Then, because it's not logged, a person like me wouldn't realize that they have just put down 100g of carbs, which is HALF of what I eat daily, and would leave me wanting more sugar, even if it's from *healthy* sources. Thoughts? I'm just assuming since I've never done the program....

Starchy veggies aren't free, they still have points. As for the insulin sensitive person they would need to know their own body and be responsible for themselves. Something everyone needs to learn. Part of what I like about WW or MFP for that matter is that it's flexible enough for everyone to find what works for them within their Point/Calorie needs.

Also even though fruits and veggies are "free" you still track them, one to make sure you are getting all the servings you need, but also so that you can adjust the program to your needs. If you aren't losing weight and you look at your tracker and see you are eating twice the amount of fruit servings a day, then you have a starting place to change something up.