Anxiety Disorders Anyone?

Options

Replies

• OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah-- also, find some mind/body practice to get involved with. Physically and mentally relaxing.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump to offer support on my lunch break. I've got anxiety, depression, and ADHD too. :) Welcome to the club! We have pumpkin cookies!
  • DoriGaga
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Gives me a lot to think about, and it's so good to know that I'm not alone in this!
  • 214julie
    214julie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in physical, emotional and SPIRITUAL health. Most of my twenties were spent in anxiety, to the point of making me physically sick. Although I considered myself a believer, I let what the world told me over ride what really needed to be done. I sought all kinds of alternative treatments, self help concepts, and got to the point of exercise addiction and obsessive behaviors with healthy lifestyle practices. I couldn't admit that I wasn't in control! God did what he did to get my attention and bring me back to him. If you would like further info on this, feel free to message me :)
  • madbytes
    Options
    I've struggled with anxiety since 1995. I do notice that when my weight is managed and my diet and exercise routine are in check I have way less symptoms. I tried the medication route and while it did help prevent attacks for the most part the side effects weren't worth it. I did Paxil for 2 years and it messed with my equilibrium too much and just made me feel a little faint-like whenever moving really quickly. It actually took over 2 years after being off Paxil for that to go away. I also tried Prozac but that made me irritable to the point that I was afraid I was going to go into a fit of rage for no apparent reason. I understand that side effect is rare but it definitely affected me negatively. Currently I manage it through breathing exercises and the occasional Xanax if the attack becomes severe which is rare. Your best bet is talking to a professional but I'd at least speak to a therapist who's experienced in anxiety treatment before letting a general practitioner throw meds down your throat.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    The thing is, I always start racking my brain trying to figure out what I am worrying about, and I always think if I figure out the cause, the worry will go away, but it never does.

This is the difficult thing about anxiety. The more introspective you are, the more the anxiety multiplies and after awhile you have anxiety over having anxiety. Relaxation and meditation techniques may help you form a sense of detachment from the thoughts and sensations you are feeling and break the cycle. My anxiety used to spiral out of control until I learned to keep calm and detached and simply observe these sensations rather than react to them which compounds the anxiety.

My anxiety got so bad at one point that used to have constant panic attacks all day for no reason. I'm not sure how but I had to come to the point of not caring. Basically mentally telling myself 'F**k you anxiety, kill me already' whenever I would have an attack then just observing my body's strange reactions in a distanced detached mental state. After awhile I stopped having the anxiety all together. I simply didn't care about caring anymore. I don't know how else to explain it.
    I should maybe add, my grandfather was a constant worrier, and my mom now is too, she's pretty extreme

Anxiety does seem to be very influenced by heredity.
    I don't want to go on meds, but if I have to I will.... I don't think it's to that point yet, most days....

I would talk to someone for sure but try other things before you start taking the benzodiazapines (ativan, xanax, etc). They hand these pills out like candy and they are very very hard to get off once you become dependent, which you will. They are chemically the equivalent of alcohol in a pill (to the brain) and the withdrawal is awful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I get that too. Cannabis and tobacco help a lot. :smokin:
  • porcelainjune
    Options
    I have anxiety disorder and yoga and cutting back on caffeine has really helped me. Yoga has many health benefits. Give it a try if you haven't already
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sit down. Write down and work out what is causing you anxiety. Compile a list. Work on one thing at a time. It's hard and some things are harder to work on that others, but being proactive and working on things helps.

For me I realised my family were my biggest issue. Had to put distance there. Very hard, bug absolutely the right thing to do and I know it's best for me. Other things were finances have worked on those, lots of other things. Got to be proactive in changing things that create a lot of anxiety for you.

Cognitive behaviour therapy helps to deal with behaviour patterns when you get stressed.

Number one tip is to be proactive and change things that stress you as much as possible, I know that's hard when your anxious bit long term is so worth it.

Zara x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    I would also see a doctor asap, don't self medicate. I got on a good antidepressant called mirtazipine or zispin. Helps with anxiety, sleep and depression. Needs to be combined with therapy to get to the root cause. As well as being proactive in changes things around you. This is most important.

Zara x
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Panic disorder for me. Diagnosed a couple years ago when I was partying like a rock star everyday. Not drinking really has helped my anxiety. Yoga helped me a lot a well. Just finding a healthy balance between stress, life and eating healthy has knocked my panic attacks down to 1 every 6-12 months. Really fascinating for me. Also, I went to see a therapist for awhile as anxiety and depression tend to go hand in hand. The only drug I ever took and occasionally take is Ativan.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I had this for many years and it is the worse thing that someone can have. And I still battle it every now and then. I will tell you something that works for me. It is usually brought about from outside stress. Stress can last in your body a long time after you are already out of the ordeal. As soon as you start feeling that little flutter in your stomache of fear, just start talking to yourself and saying you will not feel this way. You are strong and you dont need this feeling. I did this for many years and it goes away but you have to be on top of it and push it out. Also I had my thyroid checked and was very unbalanced, so ASAP go to a doctor and make sure your hormones etc are balanced. I wish you luck. Also Yoga and meditation is very good. But remember hun, mind over matter. Our minds can do some serious things to us. You can make yourself sick. Also Attacking Anxiety by Lucinda Bassett helped me alot.
  • cscheiern
    Options
    I have had anxiety and panic attacks for the last 6 years and what helped me a lot was a free website called panicend.com.
    Its a site that explains what is going on in your mind and body and they have a message board like this so you can get help and advice from other people that have gone through what you are now going through.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder several years ago. I took Celexa for a while and I think that it helped with the anxiety but it had some side effects that I just couldn't deal with. I have found that working out daily or at least every other days helps me to control my anxiety without medication a lot. Anxiety is primarily caused by a chemical in the brain called cortisol, which is released during exercise, especially cardio.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    I also bought and read a great book... At last a lifetime stress and anxiety free. Once I understood the symptoms of anxiety were just anxiety (I'd convinced myself that I was dying or something I felt so bad). And learnt techniques from the book I felt muh better.

The fear had gone and I could tell myself its just anxiety. It got where I could cope with the symptoms and let the wash Iver me mostly rather than let them make me worst, it's not always perfect and sometimes it gets the better of me, but that book really, really did help me.

Things keep popping in my head... Hence multiple posts.

I'm also much better when I'm in control of my eating and life in general. This can be hard sometimes, but I make a point of trying to be in control of things now like my finances and the people I surround myself with.

Hope that helps... Definitely get the book!
    Zara x
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think I may have an anxiety disorder. I know to get this properly diagnosed I will need to see a doctor, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone who has dealt with anxiety might have some feedback or advice on how to handle the constant worrying and apprehension?

Basically, I have a constant feeling of unease, like a general apprehension all day, everyday, and I cannot figure out WHAT I am anxious about. It fluctuates during the day and I can be fine one minute, then suddenly so overcome with a feeling of dread that I have to stop what I'm doing and make myself calm down. The thing is, I always start racking my brain trying to figure out what I am worrying about, and I always think if I figure out the cause, the worry will go away, but it never does.

So then, when I have something specifically causing me to stress, the feelings are amplified, until whenever that cause of worry is gone or over, but the feeling doesn't really go away, it just lessens a bit.

For a little while I thought I might be depressed, but it didn't seem right because generally I am happy, with an undercurrent of constant apprehension... if that makes any sense?

I should maybe add, my grandfather was a constant worrier, and my mom now is too, she's pretty extreme, like if you don't answer the phone she thinks you have died. I don't want to get that bad... but I am starting to notice it getting worse...like if say I text my friend, and she doesn't answer right away, I assume she's mad at me, even though I know I haven't done anything, and the fear is completely unbased. Or when I'm trying to get to sleep, I start obsessing over everything I haven't done yet in life, and start getting so scared and upset that I'm not on the right track and I'm running out of time... like, I'm not even 30, I shouldn't be so scared about my life and that I don't have everything figured out yet....

Anyway, I will make an appointment to see a professional, but I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle the anxiety? I don't want to go on meds, but if I have to I will.... I don't think it's to that point yet, most days....

Sounds like general anxiety disorder, which can run in families. Basically, general anxiety disorder causes you anxiety in general (hence the name :tongue: ). Your mind then finds things to do with that anxiety - like obsessing that you're running out of time, or wondering why your friend doesn't answer right away. I have an anxiety disorder with some of these same symptoms, so I understand.

Definitely go get checked out, preferably by a therapist and not a general practitioner, because a lot of GPs don't really know much about anxiety and depression. The most they will do is give you a pill, which may or may not be what you need. Therapists can give you techniques to help you control your anxiety, as well as pointing you to someone who will put you on the medicine you need, if you need any. Also, make sure you exercise, eat healthy, try to get enough sleep (I know it's hard with your thoughts racing like that) and cut out the caffeine. All of these things can help with the symptoms you're feeling.

Good luck! If you're looking for more friends, feel free to add me
  • shacala
    Options
    I have panic attacks stemming from an anxiety disorder and depression. Its an interesting topic, it truly is a war in your own consciousness. I have taken several different approaches to conquering my anxiety, all of them successful for several months. I have tried cutting gluten and soy from my diet completely. When I did this, I did not have any anxiety, except for the not so severe stress of every day life and school, from a period of about May to August. I was also working out using p90x. The combination of diet and exercise for me solved my issues... I am about to start this process again.

I have also been prescribed a various concoction of drugs for my condition, klonopin, topamax, and a few different antidepressants to name a few of them. All of them just make you feel "different" but not anywhere close to the state that I would consider normal and comfortable. I found that when I stared the condition head on and vowed to change unhealthy behaviors no matter the personal cost of pain (i.e. actually exercising, actually cutting out all gluten and soy, getting out of relationships that were going south anyway, cutting out all alcohol and weed (I am in college)) that I found a feeling of calm and peace.

I have had the luxury of being able to change my environment (I am a 21 year old college kid) unlike some who do not have the same means.

I do believe there is hope in all of this. Keep your head high and never settle.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Diet wont change a chemical imbalance in your brain. I get annoyed when people think it will. Yeah, less caffeine may lessen 'jitters and shaking' but it's not going to cure the problem. See a Dr., dont fear meds, don't take more than prescribed & you'll feel much better. Good luck, you'll do fine. <hugs>
    ^^ This...Also until you get a doc and meds to help...learn to do breathing excersices..reading to get your mind off is good ...there are so many things you can do. I also agree with the post about thinking it through...can you change it..what can you do to relax and take your mind off of it...I used to be afraid of everything..and the anxiety was horrible. Before meds I taught myself to breathe..to focus on changing what I was thinking about and when that didnt work I used knowledge to beat things...I researched things that I worried about and then I knew what fears where just in me ...and what things were real. I really couldnt overcome things on my own..I tried for years and yes I made life somewhat better but meds from the doctor are what finally helped get me more on track. Now I am off some meds and I am fine for the most part and I just have a med for when a panic attack or anxiety flare happens..which isnt to often. I only take that med when I start feeling that crazy edge start. I do find that night time is a more anxious time for me...and thats when my mind wont calm when these attacks happen. Like I said though...its rare now like once in a couple weeks or so ....when it was mostly all day everyday before..and stress kills. I was sick all the time before and the stomach problems from stress are horrible. Hope some of this helps. This is just what worked for me...everyone is different but I definately think you should see a doc and possibly a med counselor for help with this...med counselors at a counseling facility would be best educated for this. Most medical docs arent trained enough in the field and can do basic scripts for anti depressants etc but are not really further educated in this area...most will admit this to you and refer you if they are a good doctor. :) Good luck to you..This is beatable...sorry for rambling on...lol
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I get that too. Cannabis and tobacco help a lot. :smokin:

This is my conundrum...I quit smoking this year (been a smoker for around 15 years) and I loves me some weed...I've been living in Taiwan where drug laws are crazy strict.
    To cut a long story short, I'm heading back to England soon and I'm worried that if I start smoking weed again ill get back on the *kitten* too :grumble:
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I also suggest that you see someone about this. I have the perspective of both having been a professional in the mental health field and having struggled with depression and anxiety. It can be really crippling! It could also hurt your weight loss efforts, since the stress hormone cortisol encourages your body to hold onto fat.so, here's what you can do on your own

-very little caffeine and none after 6 PM
    -less sugar
    -breathing exercises when anxious
    -get enough sleep, stress is only exacerbated by being exhausted

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is great too. It works on the belief that our thoughts are linked to behavior, and one needs to change for the other to change. I like logic and connections, so I like this approach.