anyone have a good option for soy sauce?

Options

Replies

• happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Coconut aminos. :)
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Doesnt look like it would be a good option if you want low sodium.

I wonder if it would be possible to make your own or make a mock soy.

Lo an behold - non-sodium salts! Not all salts are sodium based. Many no-salt or low salt seasonings actually use potassium-based salts.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-substitutes/
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

YES!! This stuff is GREAT and very very low sodium!
  • SleepySin
    Options
    When I am cooking my stir fry recipes, I substitute teriyaki sauce for soy sauce as it provides similar flavors, but less sodium.

The problem with teriyaki sauce is that by "lowering" the amount of soy sauce used in its ingredients, it usually has a higher sugar content which is why this may not necessarily be a "healthier" option.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I live in germany ( so i dont know where you would get this). But i recently bought a food accent pump spray. The flavor is soy, ginger and chili. Maybe get a cooking pump spray and lighten soy with water and add spices. Or just add ginger and chili. Nice mix for rice. Or that chili pate at Thai restaurants.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Coconut Aminos! Taste the same but WAY better for you.
  • SleepySin
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

Um no.. it's not low in sodium at all. I worked out the sodium content and compared it to soy sauce - it actually has 100mg more sodium than soy sauce per tablespoon.
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    Oh, and Braggs liquid aminos IS soy sauce, read the label
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    Found this.

It uses beef bullion bet you get get a low sodium or salt free bullion

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soy-sauce-substitute/

This is a great idea^^^ I also like lemon as a substitue for salt. Bragg's amino acids is awesome but there is a lot of sodium in it. I will have to look into the coconut aminos. Thanks for posting this!!!!
  • dailyfunshine
    dailyfunshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Braggs Liquid Aminos or Tamari...hope that helps!!
  • SleepySin
    Options

Not quite. Bragg's is unfermented. Soy sauce is fermented.
  • stacy_rihel
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

Um no.. it's not low in sodium at all. I worked out the sodium content and compared it to soy sauce - it actually has 100mg more sodium than soy sauce per tablespoon.

She is right, i was not looking at the serving size.. Braggs is 320mg per teaspoon.
  • jbirdjr70
    Options
    How about brown gravy?
  • SleepySin
    Options
    How about brown gravy?

Depends what it's made of.. could be chock full of fat in addition to the sodium..
  • stacy_rihel
    Options

Not quite. Bragg's is unfermented. Soy sauce is fermented.

ok, it seems like there is someone here who wants to be argumentative, which was not my intention. This product is an alternative to regular soy sauce. However, it is made from soy beans, there for it is "soy sauce". To answer the question of the original poster. It is a good product, in my opinion, and tastes great in small doses. I have found it to be a stronger taste than regular soy sauce so you can use less of it, therefore, being lower sodium in your dish.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, Coconut Aminos are awesome. No idea on the sodium level vs soy sauce though. I don't eat soy period.
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bragg's Liquid Aminos all the way!
  • SleepySin
    Options
    ok, it seems like there is someone here who wants to be argumentative, which was not my intention. This product is an alternative to regular soy sauce. However, it is made from soy beans, there for it is "soy sauce". To answer the question of the original poster. It is a good product, in my opinion, and tastes great in small doses. I have found it to be a stronger taste than regular soy sauce so you can use less of it, therefore, being lower sodium in your dish.

Wasn't trying to argumentative at all. Just being technical because it's like comparing tempeh to natto. Fermented/unfermented products offer various nutritional benefits - just figured it should be noted.
  • MamaKeeks
    Options
    I mix a bit of salsa into rice. Delish.

Or corn. Or other veggies. They bring flava!

I also like to throw some garlic or other spices into the water while it's cooking... or stir in cilantro/chives/onions after cooking...

Now I'm hungry! :tongue:
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Braggs has 160mg of naturally occurring sodium per 1/2 tsp from soy beans. No table salt added. It is very salty tasting, so it easily can be watered down. You can put it in a spray bottle w some water, as suggested on their site. Surely, if you need to restrict your sodium, this isn't the product for you