taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Usually they just tell me how delicious my diary looks :tongue:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Usually they just tell me how delicious my diary looks :tongue:
    '

That's because you keep getting the damn tonkatsu ramen and all the good stuff. *sniffles and pouts*
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    People give food advice? I thought this was just a place for finding pictures of hot women.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are new, because if you stick around a while, you will learn that mfp and etiquette do not go hand in hand. Of course with some answers you just received, I am thinking you may have just seen that for yourself.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would provide support and encouragement like, "Good Job...WTG...Awesome". I would not however disect their food diary for them. Weight loss is very emotional and personal, you may think you are offering constructive assistance but in reality you are mutilating their self esteem. If I am asked I will offer input.

I personally like to look at others food diaries to get ideas of what else to eat.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    there's more to support here than critiquing food diaries

i would leave alone unless they complained that things werent worrking, or if their calories are really low...but in that case i usually delete.

but then again, I am only here for the gifs.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i was reminded a few weeks back by my pals to drink more water. nothing wrong with that at all.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You can only be who you are. Some people will like it, some won't. That's how you manage your friends list. Find people who don't mind you giving them advice if that's what you like to do.

Thats not true... everyone on MFP is mean... no one makes friends or likes anyone else...
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt. If they are using MFP they already know they are going over on carbs. So unless someone asks i wouldnt give unsolicted advice
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are new, because if you stick around a while, you will learn that mfp and etiquette do not go hand in hand. Of course with some answers you just received, I am thinking you may have just seen that for yourself.

INORITE?

All these honest, and mostly helpful opinions in response to a question about peoples' opinions is just rude, right?

I know what the problem is....not enough smileys. Here: :smile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I've been here about 6 weeks and have noticed people making comments like this on other people's diaries - everytime I see something like that I cringe!

And I got one on time - Superbowl Sunday, I had planned a cheat day (still ate in moderation but due to all the high cal foods at the party I was over quite a bit). Someone commented about how I had "a real blowout" and that it would be ok. That bothered me!! It was a planned blowout, and yes, I was fully aware of it and was ok, was there some reason I shouldn't be? Now I feel like I need to justify my eating!

And once someone commented saying where's the water???? I drink water constantly - literally have a water bottle with me all day and drink MUCH more than recommended, so I don't feel the need to log it. The comment was unnecessary!

My diary is open for other people to get ideas of what to eat etc, not for unsolicited advice or comments.Unsolicited advice is never a good thing - whether its about food or whatever.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Given how some react to *solicited* advice should give you a good idea of how some will react to *unsolicited* advice.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, then I found out people don't like it. Sometimes I still question something.
  • dalzinho
    Options
    I'd tell you where to stick your helpful comments if it was me. Click 'like' or whatever and say well done.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I handle it this way, if I was sitting having a meal with them, what would I say? It wouldn't be "watch your carbs/fats, etc". I think MFP Etiquette shouldn't be any different that real life. Manners and courtesy everyday. Then, depending on how well you know the person, and if you know their personal goals, etc it's appropriate to make suggestions. I have good friends who I appreciate their suggestions and vice versa, however until I know someone well, I don't meddle.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't mind it for patterns, but I don't need a reminder that my macros were off on a given day.

So, if someone were up to date on my habits and then said "your carbs seem to be getting higher," I would (try to) appreciate that. However, if someone were to look at the day I was sick and just had toasted sandwich thins all day, the only thing I better hear about it is "are you feeling ok?"

I do not like being congratulated for being under, especially since I am pretty sure that they never check to see if I am off by 1000 or 10.

I usually just don't close out my diary unless I have updated my weight recently and want to see the new five week prediction or I need something definitive to avoid joining my partner for his final snack of the night.

For the most part, I agree with this. I welcome helpful comments - we are all here to learn. That being said, if I had a "bad" day every once in a while, I don't necessarily need to be called out on it... :)
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'd tell you where to stick your helpful comments if it was me. Click 'like' or whatever and say well done.

We have a "like" button here?
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I myself would ask a question instead of making a comment. Maybe they haven't adjusted their macros or are averaging over a week. Or possibly they are only trying to keep their calories under and get enough protein but not worried about carbs. I was doing that when I was using this site for weight loss (now pregnant and using it to keep weight gain to a healthy amount) I would keep within my calories over the week as I often have hungry days and days that I don't feel like eating. I had a friend make a preachy comment about how I needed to watch my calories!!!! It's a dangerous slippery slope to be over at all!!!!! I was only over 115 calories that day and had been under 200 the day before. If she had asked me I would have explained. And I wouldn't have unfriended her that day.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to depend on the person. Some people really love constructive feedback, while others don't appreciate unsolicited advice. Personally, I'm in the latter category, but I just solve that problem by keeping my diary closed.
    Me too. I don't want people commenting on what I eat even though I eat very healthy foods. And I don't comment on the diary of others unless it's too observe that some particular food they ate is something I really like. I never critique. Ever.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I always comment on my MFP friends updates. I won't say "Better watch your carbs" or anything like that. I try and keep it positive. If they post about a plateau or a weight gain. I'll say something along the lines of "It looks like this week you ate more Sugar or Carbs. Maybe a food revamp?" Just a helpful tip.

I say go for it. The encouragement is always great!