Almond Butter!! ALMOND BUTTER!

Options

Replies

• MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I made a smoothie earlier with peanut butter that I'm sure can be replaced with almond butter and it was heavenly!

1/2 cup low fat, soy or almond milk
    1/2 apple, peeled & chopped
    1 tbsp peanut butter (sub in almond butter)
    1/3 cup quick cooking oats (plain oats for oatmeal)

Blend with 3 ice cubes and dust with cinnamon.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Can't find almond butter around here and you're all making me so curious about it!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Take a poiund and throw it into the Vitamix, with some flaxseed, a bit of salt, and fire it up! Perfect consistency! Love it out of the jar, on apples, and in my smoothies.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Where does everyone get their almond butter? The only place I know of that sells it is whole foods and its like $14/lb. Its all natural and its made right there which I love so I know there's nothing extra thats added.

There are tons of easy recipes out there to make it cheaper. I just got a Blendtec and it has a recipe right in it.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When you find a lower alterntive on peanut butter - let me know. I thought I was doing good using all natural but it is no lower in calories ... and I love peanut butter.

I needed to find an alternative to pb and ab too. I always had a whole grain english muffin with one or the other for breakfast and the 200 calories needed to be cut down. I finally decided to try cream cheese. I bought a tub of light spreadable plain cream cheese and added 3 tbs of brown sugar and a tsp of cinnamon. It's 78 calories per 2 tbsp.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it. I've also never tried sunflower butter.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I love it best on amaranth crackers. Good nudge; I haven't had any for a long time and must rectify that.
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    Peanut allergy here in the house, so we use almond butter as well.
    I buy MaraNatha at Costco. I pay for a BIG jar at Costco, what I would pay for a little jar at the store.

The only thing I don't like about the all-natural almond butter is that it settles. So when I get to the bottom of the jar, I have some dried out almond crap that you can't really use.
  • devon0324
    devon0324 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to buy some for a few months now, but the $6 price tag has always stopped me. lol. I love peanut butter, so I can only imagine I'll be totally addicted to almond butter.

YES!!! This is so true!! I went to Kroger(grocery store) this am, and for a SMALL jar was $6.79!!! So i just bought the individual packets for $0.89!!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love almond butter. I just eat it straight out the jar. I bought the Mara Natha brand of AB at Whole Foods.
  • nikkinz
    nikkinz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mix almond butter(1/2 Tbsp) with soy sauce(1 Tsp) and garlic and spread on wrap. Add grilled chicken and baby spinch. Satay chicken wrap. Yummy!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    mix almond butter(1/2 Tbsp) with soy sauce(1 Tsp) and garlic and spread on wrap. Add grilled chicken and baby spinch. Satay chicken wrap. Yummy!!

WOW I never would have thought of that' but it sounds amazing!!,
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for the Paleo Power Bars.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter is easy to make with a food processor. I use 2 cups almonds, (one cup is roasted, salted, and one cup raw), & I add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut. Process it for 10 minutes or so, stopping often to scrape down sides. It seems like it will never work, but eventually it does get to a perfect consistency. This method is SO much cheaper & SO delicious.

This! I have done it a couple times (also made my own PB like this too). Raw almonds, toasted in a frying pan. Grind them up. Don't have to add anything. Same with the peanuts.
  • KpieS86
    Options
    Don't know if ayone responded to this yet, but peanut butter contains mycotoxins, specifically aflatoxin, which is a natural toxin that has shown to be a known carcinogen, causing cancer. Peanuts aren't actually a nut, they're a legume, and they're not allowed in the Paleo Diet, so nuts and nut butters are great substitutes (although they have similar fat contents).

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA115491
    http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/aflatoxin.php
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002429.htm
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a tbsp in my kefir/blueberries/whey/flaxseed mix every morning. Buy mine at Costco, Maranatha brand.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love almonds, but I've heard mixed reviews so I'm scared to try it.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When you find a lower alterntive on peanut butter - let me know. I thought I was doing good using all natural but it is no lower in calories ... and I love peanut butter.

I think someone else mentioned it already, but check out PB2. It's a powder form of peanut butter than has less than half the calories of regular peanut butter! I think it's like 45 cal for 2 TBS. I haven't tred it yet, but want to. Since it's a powder instead of a cream you would have to get creative though. I think it would be great for mixing in oatmeal and the like! The company that makes it is called Bell Plantation... google it! :tongue:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I need to try this with my daily banana...bump
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm, apple slices dredged through almond butter (Kettle unsalted brand); just had some.