Anyone here a vegetarian/vegan?

Options
Curious as to what your favourite meal is? Are you doing it for ethical reasons or just weight loss (or other)?

Replies

• missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    seriously no one?
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    im a vegetarian...i love the flavor of meat, but the texture grosses me out. otherwise, it would be part of my diet.

also, my fave food now is black beans and white hominy with moonshine hot sauce.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    im a vegetarian and have been since i was 14. really dislike the taste of meat and id rather not eat flesh...just personal taste.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 14 years, for ethical reasons. I have many favorite meals! Hummus wraps, tofu stir fry, etc.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I happen to eat a fair bit of vegetarian food at the moment. I'm obsessed with homemade chickpea burgers!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent vegetarian. I switched mostly for ethical reasons, also health.

There is also a group you can join! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores

As to my favorite meal, I'm still getting used to new ways of eating, but stir frys are great, and pasta.
  • michellebellamy
    michellebellamy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I do it because eating animals is gross to me. I wish I did it for health reasons, but that's not the case. My husband and kids eat meat, so usually I just make something easy for myself.

As far as my favorite meals, I like quinoa mixed with green peppers, red onions, black beans and corn. Then, I either add lite vinaigrette dressing or another lite sauce to it. I like to mix salsa in with it also. I eat a lot of Amy's frozen burritos. They aren't great, but I drown them in salsa and add lettuce. I also love stir fry, but I don't make it very often. What about you?
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, I've been for a year now. I originally stopped eating meat to "try it" and liked it so much I never went back. I'm never bloated now and I feel like I have more energy cause of it :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I love the taste of meat, but I prefer animals when they are alive. My favourite meal is lentil stew with noodles.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I prefer animals when they are alive.

Agreed.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I swing that way a lot of the time. Mostly for health sake, but recently heard Rip Esselstyn refer to milk as "liquid flesh" and I'm not sure I ever want to drink it again.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. Channa Masala is my favourite. I started being vegetarian because I was against factory farming. Now organic meats are more freely available I could go back to eating meat, but as my partner is also vegetarian because he doesn't like meat it's just easier. I'm used to it now anyway, and don't miss meat.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian – have been for about four years. I made the choice for ethical reasons initially but it has really become part of who I am because of not just the good it does for animals, but the good it does for my body, my spirit/karma and the planet. I could never go back. My favorite meal is sweet potato enchiladas but they are not at all healthy so I only make them on special occasions.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer a vegetarian, but my favorite meals were veggie stir-frys, I like Quorn products, and I LOVE the Morning Star black bean burgers! That with a baked sweet potato...YUM! However, vegetarian alternative products always gave me BAD GAS, LOL! So I don't eat them as much, but they are great as occassional meals.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I do it because eating animals is gross to me. I wish I did it for health reasons, but that's not the case. My husband and kids eat meat, so usually I just make something easy for myself.

As far as my favorite meals, I like quinoa mixed with green peppers, red onions, black beans and corn. Then, I either add lite vinaigrette dressing or another lite sauce to it. I like to mix salsa in with it also. I eat a lot of Amy's frozen burritos. They aren't great, but I drown them in salsa and add lettuce. I also love stir fry, but I don't make it very often. What about you?

Yeah I love quinoa as well. You can do so much with it! I usually just add tomatoes, avocado, and corn to it and add a bit of lime juice to it as well. I only became vegetarian as of January so I still have a lot to try. I haven't even had tofu yet haha.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 15 years and most of what I cook at home is vegan. My favorite recipes are spicy vegetarian chili, Ginger Peanut Soup, and bean enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian (fish only for meat), for health reason mostly, but also can't stand chewing animal tissue. Sometimes it's easier to tell people I'm a vegetarian though.

I tried to be vegan, I honestly couldn't find the part deep inside to commit to it, I wish I could have. I still eat vegan quite a lot, I only allow some cheese in my diet, I never have milk and I feel so much better for it.

I found a lot of really great tasting vegan recipes on Chez Bettay.
  • kgeldreich
    Options
    My favorite meal varies but would usually be a Thai stir-fry or curry.

Here's one I really like that I make at home:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/03/polenta-with-lemony-asparagus-and.html

This one too without the pinenuts:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/10/lemony-quinoa-with-butternut-squash.html

I'm vegetarian for environmental and ethical reasons.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have become vegan over the last 6 months. I always thought that vegetarians were not eating necessary protein and calcium. But my son-in-law told me to watch Forks over Knives, then I read Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live, and I am convinced that vegan is the healthiest of all diets.
    Truth is, I always preferred meat boneless, so it looked like something other than muscle off some animal, like a filet, hamburger, or meatloaf. Now I make filet, hamburgers, or meatloaf out of beans and like them so much better. Previously I had tried bought vegan substitutes and did not like them.
    As a little girl I lived on a chicken farm. Then it took 9 months from chicks to pick up. Now it takes 6 weeks! I will eat a bit of meat if I am visiting, but I usually see digestive problems the next day. It is not a religion to me, just a preferences for a longer, healthier, disease free life.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 15 years and most of what I cook at home is vegan. My favorite recipes are spicy vegetarian chili, Ginger Peanut Soup, and bean enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce.

Ginger peanut soup sounds beautiful! Do you have a recipe?