10 reasons squats are a terrible excercise

Options

Replies

• m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually view the link but I will share something that I found very beneficial from my physical therapist. She told me this: "If you could only do one exercise for the rest of your life, it should be SQUATS... hands down! You should do a minimum of 10 a day." She said "if everybody did squats everyday their wouldn't be so many old people that need to be placed in assisted living and nursing homes because they can't get out of a chair or bed! Everyone would have healthy ankles, knees, hips, backs and butts. Your major muscle groups get a full on workout. Just be sure to drive from your heels on every single squat!" Incorporate weights and you have virtually every muscle group involved in the squat now!

Good luck!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Oh man, are y'all serious?! I'm so naive. Sorry, y'all. Carry on with your lives now. XP

I'm not trolling I am just dumb. I'm a newbie lifter, and don't know all the technical names for muscles and that.

i'm going to assume you didn't read it and just posted it on here because you thought it would be controversial. just nod your head "yes"
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    So a friend of a friend of a guy who worked with a cousin of a guy knows a Navy Seal who said squats are stupid. Well, it must be true then.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Oh man, are y'all serious?! I'm so naive. Sorry, y'all. Carry on with your lives now. XP

I'm not trolling I am just dumb. I'm a newbie lifter, and don't know all the technical names for muscles and that.

You're not dumb at all.

It's just sad that the fitness industry is in such a dismal state that myths abound about the safety of squats and some people would actually take that as a serious article...
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So a friend of a friend of a guy who worked with a cousin of a guy knows a Navy Seal who said squats are stupid. Well, it must be true then.
    This point is axiomatic.

**leaves work to head right for the squat rack**
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually view the link but I will share something that I found very beneficial from my physical therapist. She told me this: "If you could only do one exercise for the rest of your life, it should be SQUATS... hands down! You should do a minimum of 10 a day." She said "if everybody did squats everyday their wouldn't be so many old people that need to be placed in assisted living and nursing homes because they can't get out of a chair or bed! Everyone would have healthy ankles, knees, hips, backs and butts. Your major muscle groups get a full on workout. Just be sure to drive from your heels on every single squat!" Incorporate weights and you have virtually every muscle group involved in the squat now!

Good luck!

And if you did view the link.........
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. Just shows you how much bad information there is online...
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If my math is correct, and according to my PhD. in Mathology from the correspondence college of Nigeria it is, the following formula illustrates my point perfectly:

L2*Sq=(R3/3I)531

I won’t bore you by actually explaining what any of that means in terms that any normal person could actually understand. Just suffice it to say that back squats are terrible for you spine. Anyone who says differently is probably on steroids.

Flawless math victory.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Good luck!

And if you did view the link.........

The same obvi!
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I mostly just skimmed the article so I didn't take in all that PHD in from Nigeeria nonsense. But the part that got me confused was about the spine because my spine actually does hurt for a few days after squats. And I've watched all the Rippetoe videos about bar placement and everything. Once again I'm sorry and deeply ashamed of my epic fail.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i actually did go to school with a navy seal. we were on the swim team together.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sold.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Bless your cotton socks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i hear they give you thunder thighs
  • myofibril
    Options
    So, now we've established that the article was a parody of the nonsense usually spoken about squatting the question is why are they so rampant.

If you've ever travelled around the Indian subcontinent or Asia you will notice that most kids and adults can maintain a squat position with relative ease - that is because it is a normal movement:

rgw_tripura_wideweb__470x2730.jpg

If you've ever seen young kids play they quite naturally adopt it.

Why then do we, as Western adults seemingly have so much difficulty thinking it's a great, fundamental movement?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Squats ARE really really bad for you. Just ask my *kitten*.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you hope.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Uterine prolapse.

True story.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    So, now we've established that the article was a parody of the nonsense usually spoken about squatting the question is why are they so rampant.

If you've ever travelled around the Indian subcontinent or Asia you will notice that most kids and adults can maintain a squat position with relative ease - that is because it is a normal movement:

rgw_tripura_wideweb__470x2730.jpg

If you've ever seen young kids play they quite naturally adopt it.

Why then do we, as Western adults seemingly have so much difficulty thinking it's a great, fundamental movement?

Great photo for this! It's simple: chairs. Sitting in chairs causes this problem. Like you said, spend time in Asia and you will see that everyone there can do this. I've seen guys in their 70s sitting there drinking a beer in perfect squat position.
  • myofibril
    Options
    It's simple: chairs. Sitting in chairs causes this problem.

I think you are exactly right.

Our love of comfort and convenience in the West is slowly killing is...