Why, cat, why?

Options
jbutterflye
jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
I come home to find yet another dead bird on my welcome mat. But not the whole bird.. bird parts. Feathers, a leg, a few guts. I didn't study it too closely but that was the jist.

I feed my cat, I really do. Cat food, every day.

I understand he's a hunter. He's even kind enough to want to share some of the kill with his family, and I appreciate the sentiment.

But WHY on the welcome mat??? It's hard to clean, the little parts stick to it and it's just ICKY! :sad:

It's becoming a habit now, about twice a week.

WHY WHY? WHY ME??

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Its an honor for your cat to bring home the "kill" and its usually at the place the cat goes in and out of the house. Praise the cat for sharing irs prized gift.
  • navywendy00
    Options
    It means he loves you!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Awww..

now I just feel guilty.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My cat would be to afraid to do this. She is a scardy cat , hence, her name is Shy. She is my first baby but she is growing too fast. I want another baby but her and my son may get jealous. My husband and I haven't decided if it will be a cat or human baby or maybe a dog to mix it up. lol
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yeah, it's just the what they do. My older cat killed a bunny on Easter when I was a kid and I told my classmates that our cat killed the Easter Bunny. In hindsight, it's really funny but in the moment it was terrible. Our cat hasn't really presented us with kills since then. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Its an honor for your cat to bring home the "kill" and its usually at the place the cat goes in and out of the house. Praise the cat for sharing irs prized gift.

^^ This

Also, it's technically my daughter's cat. We gave him to her for her birthday when she was 10. She has always been in charge of any cat-related grossness.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My cats bring their lizards in alive and then kill them in the house. Cats are nasty little murder machines. Mine are indoor cats - they're only allowed out for a few hours at a time in the afternoon a few days a week, and they still manage to find things to kill.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    kitty is saying "Here large hairless cat, I caught this for you because I love you."
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    haha, how sweet! your cat is just trying to show you that he appreciates you and all you do! i have indoor cat, so he will hunt/stalk flies or random pieces of carpet (much more frustrating, trust me)!
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awe. My dog does the same thing but with rats. I live in the city...
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods. They have not forgotten this.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Once I start letting my cats out side I hope they are able to hunt for their food. It will save some money every month. (They already eat raw food so I am kinda expecting it.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    62F420BF-7972-49AE-A1E4-5F162E7696DD-18661-0000129EED1C6F9E.jpg
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Too bad it doesn't understand "No Thank you." lol!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Keep your cat indoors. Problem solved.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    They do it to show you that they love you :)
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i have 8 indoor cats two are real mouse hunters the worst feeling is when they have the mouse in its mouth while heading for my bed. i love them to death but no dead presents in bed please
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    All cats will kill if they can. They make no distinction between mice, songbirds, or your neighbor's baby chickens. Free roaming cats are destructive vermin. Keep your cats inside. I've lost ducklings to predation and I HATE cats.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh, your kitty wants to share. You could get a different door mat that is easier to clean. Probably can't make the cat stay indoors if she is already used to being outside. that is just plain torture. My current kitty, Izzy, is strictly indoors (for many reasons), but my neighbors' cats sometimes bring goodies to my front door. I wonder if they are bringing them as a gesture of friendship to Izzy because they are not friendly to me at all when I encounter them in my yard.
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    its just part of a cats life, growing up our cats were always bring something to our door step.
    good luck