Why, cat, why?

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Cats are killers. I don't really think it's all that cute or sweet for him to bring them home to Momma. Well-fed cats will hunt for sport, and I've seen how they toy with the poor little mice and birds they catch. I've tried to save a few from the neighbor's cats. Honestly, there's no good reason for pets to be roaming outside. Eventually, your little guy isn't going to come home, or worse...he'll come home with some nasty injuries. Keep 'em in. :)
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i had a beast of a cat that loved being outdoors. he would bring in live animals and kill them in front of me. one time he brought in a mouse, played with it, killed it, ate it, then threw it up inside out. it was the grossest thing i've ever seen.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh! Your right it is gross but that is the way of nature. :laugh:

oh its hilarious now lol... at the time i was on the phone with my soon to be husband, giving him the play by play, he almost threw up, i of course kept my composure, although i couldnt eat for the rest of the night lol :)
  • Kerraz22
    Options
    I have 3 indoor only cats that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many cats get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other cats. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your cats, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest cats you will ever see. They have tons of toys to "kill" and scratching posts and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are cats. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your cats?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My cat's an indoors cat who will occasionally climb down the balcony and run through the backyard and find me presents :)
    It is incredibly selfish to let your cat run loose to kill other people's poultry, destroy songbirds, crap in your neighbor's flower beds or kids' sandbox, etc. If you are too indulgent or too lazy to keep the thing inside and have to change the catbox, get rid of the damned cat, not just let it out the door.

I loled. If you find some birds in ground up form that people have killed its ok though. Catch the crows too while you're at it. You lazy mofo. I only have rap songs stuck in my head because all the neighbourhood song birds are gone. And get your poop out of my sand box...leave the bird poop though. That's ok. Don't let your cat get vitamin D, it slightly inconveniences me when it fertilizes my flowers.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    He's letting you know that some day, it could be you.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is there some repellant you could put there....dog on a leash, or some substance only a cat smells LOL?? You gotta break this cat's pattern somehow...
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I used to have two cats. One of them used to bring home a kill and yowl and yowl at the door for us to come see. The other cat was a wuss, and a little stupid. One day we heard her yowling at the door. We came to see her kill, and laughed so hard when we saw that she had stalked, attacked, killed, and brought to our door, a 5 inch long....pine cone. :laugh:

Bahahahaha! That is epic! :laugh:

Lol! Hilarious!
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    He's letting you know that some day, it could be you.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

Now that is funny!:laugh:
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is still better than throwing up the unchewed food they just inhaled in your bed (or any expensive furniture/carpet available) and peeing in any laundry they can find (and opening any closet doors that stand in their way)! Lol never had a problem until we had to move... i think they hate the new apartment as much as we do! But I'd still prefer those "treats" and clean a door mat over everything else :laugh:
  • dloyst20
    Options
    Its healthy and natural..Your cat loves you and feels like he/she is contributing.My mothers cat use to do that...she killed sometimes three or four a day from around the neighborhood...can't figure out how she did it either because she was (sorry about the F word but..) a FAT cat...literally, her belly dragged on the floor. Now she's passed on and our neighbors complain about mice.lol. I miss the kitty..she was cool.
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    I have 3 indoor only cats that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many cats get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other cats. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your cats, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest cats you will ever see. They have tons of toys to "kill" and scratching posts and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are cats. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your cats?

Absolutely true. Besides all the above mentioned dangers, there are just some crazy people out there that put out poison; because they don't like your cat on their property. Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Absolutely true. Besides all the above mentioned dangers, there are just some crazy people out there that put out poison; because they don't like your cat on their property. Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.
    I'd like to point out that some people live in places where they all know their neighbors and there are hardly any cars around...I live about 5 minutes from the city and I would never leave my cat outside by herself. If I drove for a few hours and knew all my neighbours and knew they loved my cat, I wouldn't think twice about it. If I go to my nan's house it's a long walk just to get to off of the driveway and onto the dirt road lol.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Let's see how this sounds with children:

"I have 3 indoor only children that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many children get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other kids. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your children, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest kids you will ever see. They have tons of toys to play with and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are children. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your kids?"

... ?
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have an indoor only cat and the only thing she ever brings me are pens/pencils that she hides during the day and dumps them on me when I'm sleeping! Oh, and hubby's Burt's Bees Chapstick -- she's OBSESSED with that little yellow tube! We are moving, and we've already found 3 that she's stolen.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Let's see how this sounds with children:

"I have 3 indoor only children that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many children get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other kids. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your children, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest kids you will ever see. They have tons of toys to play with and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are children. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your kids?"

... ?

Apples and oranges. Hopefully, while children are young and unable to recognize danger, they aren't outside unattended. :)
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    awww he is just trying to make you proud.. he is doing good by you in his eyes :)
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I have an indoor only cat and the only thing she ever brings me are pens/pencils that she hides during the day and dumps them on me when I'm sleeping! Oh, and hubby's Burt's Bees Chapstick -- she's OBSESSED with that little yellow tube! We are moving, and we've already found 3 that she's stolen.

Haha! Cute!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.

The cats in my life (all allowed outdoors):
    * Kay died at 12 of cancer.
    * Ching died at 21 of old age.
    * Fish died at 17 from complications after dental surgery.
    * Loki and Gordon are both going strong at 13 and 7 respectively.

None were hit by cars, savaged by dogs, or poisoned by evil neighbours.

I am a bit worried about Loki's health, because he doesn't go outside much (and isn't interested in indoor games), so he is getting very overweight. We try to limit his food, but he and Gordon fight (indoors) when they are hungry.

With cats, as with children, we tend to over-estimate the outdoor dangers and under-estimate the risks of inactivity and obesity.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.

The cats in my life (all allowed outdoors):
    * Kay died at 12 of cancer.
    * Ching died at 21 of old age.
    * Fish died at 17 from complications after dental surgery.
    * Loki and Gordon are both going strong at 13 and 7 respectively.

None were hit by cars, savaged by dogs, or poisoned by evil neighbours.

I am a bit worried about Loki's health, because he doesn't go outside much (and isn't interested in indoor games), so he is getting very overweight. We try to limit his food, but he and Gordon fight (indoors) when they are hungry.

With cats, as with children, we tend to over-estimate the outdoor dangers and under-estimate the risks of inactivity and obesity.
    I am typing with one hand as my 17 year old cat is meowing at me and pushing into my hand and purring <3 Her mother was poisoned by my neighbor and killed. She was a 6 month indoor cat. So definitely be aware of what neighbor doesn't like cats. My nan came to visit with luggage and left the door open a little to long. Marble forces her way outside occasionally without me being able to catch her (like a couple times in the summer when it's nice) but if she does I'm either tell her "big dogs are going to get her" at which point she usually runs back in (hahaha) or I keep an eye on her. For whatever reason she's never left our property. And instead of bringing us 'presents' she usually meows at me to come to the present lol. Lazy cat.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly selfish to let your cat run loose to kill other people's poultry, destroy songbirds, crap in your neighbor's flower beds or kids' sandbox, etc. If you are too indulgent or too lazy to keep the thing inside and have to change the catbox, get rid of the damned cat, not just let it out the door.

No. Cats are great outdoor pets for country people. They kill the barn mice. Cats love it outside, keeping them indoors is cruel and selfish.