exercises to decrease calves

Options
2»

Replies

• jesroxy
    jesroxy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I seem to be losing a lot of inches from my thighs. Once they were 30 and now they're 25. My calves have always been huge especially for a lady. Currently 18.5 inches. I fear that one day I might run into your same problem so I do squats deadlifts and lunges. If you come across anything else feel free to keep me posted.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you spin slow and really push the pedals hard rather than higher spin?

If you have longer thighs than normal proportion, it can put more emphasis on your calves if you go slower spin. Bigger lever, more weight on calves. And since it's the glute pulling the leg down at first, quad not so involved.

Got strong glutes?

Hope they aren't proportionally larger like the calves! ;-)

And how is your bike fit, feels great? To Tadpole's point, you may have the distances right, like reach to the pedals and stem and such, but if scooted back in your seat with corresponding shorter stem, then would give quad more opportunity.

If thigh is longer, you aren't going to totally get rid of bigger level bigger calf, but you can at least give more work to the quad and hamstring for fast spin, than to the glute.

Just a few other suggestions. I have a longer thigh, which is said to be great for biking speed, but I have to sit farther back for good balance then, and narrow window for it feeling right. Few lbs in gut throws it all off.

oh yeah, bigger crank arms too if thigh is longer.
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    Jogging slowly and steady. Avoid steppers and strength things that use your calve. Do low (easy) weights for a longer time. Do pilates.. I know this is a more girly work out but give it a go :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9adXZJNLGdM
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You just need longer trousers if it bothers you ;-)
  • arobles28
    Options
    I seem to be losing a lot of inches from my thighs. Once they were 30 and now they're 25. My calves have always been huge especially for a lady. Currently 18.5 inches. I fear that one day I might run into your same problem so I do squats deadlifts and lunges. If you come across anything else feel free to keep me posted.
    I will thanks