Big Calves. HELP

13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Holy necro bump. Why bring up a post from 2011?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    You can not spot reduce. It is simply not possible. Lose fat and the size will come off gradually. A lot more of it is fat than you think it is.
  • Just so you know - a lot of guys love muscular legs/calves on women :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    You probably are, but avoid exercises like calf raises. Walking and general exercise should keep them firm. They probably won't get smaller, but at least they won't get bigger.

I do calf raises with dumbbells because my calves are small. But I avoid using direct weight resistance on the rest of my lower body.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Embrace the Calves, you know how hard some people work to get muscular calves, as the weight comes off so will whatever is not muscle, but you cant shrink yoru calves, i mean I have big calves (yes im a man so its a little differnt) but when you spend a good bit of your life carrying around extra weight everything you do is a leg exercise, every step, ever reach on your toes, so of course you would develop muscular calves, its not something you should worry about it, it will just be a testiment to all your work. Sorry if that wasnt the answer you were looking for, but good luck none the less.
  • Most of the calf muscle is located higher on the leg. Even with good sized muscles you can have nice, shapely legs.

My legs (including feet and ankles) have slimmed down more quickly that other parts of my body. I think this is because I do a lot of spin classes, but it could just be where my body wants to take fat from first.
    Spinning is terrific for building calf muscle ...
    Glad it's helping you, and it is a good cardio workout, but.it won't make legs less muscular, which I think.is the OP's goal.

Then again, not much will.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member

Maybe someone had the same question and actually, for once, searched the lists for other posters asking the same question! A miracle a I know, but I feel we should encourage this.:wink:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member

Maybe someone had the same question and actually, for once, searched the lists for other posters asking the same question! A miracle a I know, but I feel we should encourage this.:wink:

Yeah I noticed that too....after I replied.

Then I thought that I suppose we could all search the boards for our answers but maybe some of this is just communicating in the present with others.....just a thought.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    I have big muscular calves and I love them. I work them out hard. Nothing looks better in high heels than some nice calves
  • I love women with muscular calves :)
  • you have a photo of your muscular calves? ;)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Seriously?
    Nothing better to do with your time, than resurrecting all the topics on calves?
  • I said something wrong?
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    I said something wrong?

I don't think she was responding to you. I think her comment was aimed at OP.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    running but I would prefer a power walk.
  • GeorgeMT1
    GeorgeMT1 Posts: 2 Member
    If you start off overweight you've got to realize that your calves have been put under a lot of work from lifting your weight around, you've basically been strapping 40-100 pounds of weight to them, obviously they'll be bigger and more muscular :p
  • Have you seen Barbell Apparel Jeans?! They make jeans for those with muscular legs/butts and they're extremely functional so you never have to worry about ripping your jeans in the crotch ever again. www.BarbellApparel.com!!!!! :smile: