Gym on your own or with someone?

Options
Which do you prefer when you're in the gym?

I used to go alone for about a year then started to become a bit laps. Now I go with a friend and we motivate each other to push hard the whole session.

Which do you prefer? On your own or with someone else?

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like both. I workout in my basement so lifting alone is fine- I don't have to wait for anyone to show up, I can lift on my own schedule, etc. But when I did have a regular lifting partner, either my son or one of my friends who would come over, it was more fun and we could motivate each other. In the end, you still need that self motivation, so that's what I've always gone by.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depends on who I am going with....I am the type of person that likes to go to the gym to WORK, not to talk.

I have one friend who constantly interupts me in the middle of a set by talking to me, asking questions, etc. That type of person I can't deal with.

My other friend will keep his head phones in the entire time, spot me, and push me...THAT is the person I like to go to the gym with.

If I am going alone, I really don't mind. I like the time to myself.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    At the gym I workout on my own unless I'm in a class! Depends on my mood really, sometimes I just want to focus on the workout others I'm quite happy to chat to other users as I go around. I find I'm more sociable on a weekend morning when I get to the gym at 10-11am rather than my normal 6am weekday starts !
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I go on my own and enjoy it, but sometimes end up talking to people that I've met there and exchanging ideas/opinions. I don't mind friendly chats, but when the conversation drags on or when I meet a friend, far less work gets accomplished.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I prefer having a lifting partner, but tend to work along since it is difficult to find someone else on the same work schedule and interested in the same workout schedule.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just me and Pandora
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    At the minute, I'm going alone. I occasionally need a spotter on the bench press, but that's all I need a spotter for - everything else, I can bail out of if I fail before I can re-rack. I'll either ask someone else at the gym for a spot, or very rarely, I'll go with a friend who'll push me - but I know exactly what weights I'm going to lift before I go.

I don't need motivation to go, I don't need motivation to push hard while I'm there.

The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking - Mia Hamm
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I like going on my own. But once in a while, I don't mind working out with buddies.

But like most people, I'm there to WORK. It really annoys me when people are taking time on the mats or with the bench just sitting there chatting. This is a gym, not a coffee shop.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I can't stand working out with others.
  • SanDiegoMuscle
    SanDiegoMuscle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pandora and I
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    On my own- definitely.

Last night I was on the elliptical in the gym and the woman next to me was keeping up a good pace but spent the entire 20 minutes we were both on there chatting with the guy on the other side. Work problems, family stuff, yak, yak, yak... My iPod almost drowned her out but there was still this steady, irritating drone in the background. I think she exercised her jaws as much as the rest of her body.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I like both...I start out every morning by myself, but have a gym buddy who generally arrives about 45 min to 1 hour after I do each day, so we overlap for a while and we do help to motivate each other. We also take spin class on Saturday mornings together, and once in a while in the evenings.

I would never rely on someone else to go with me though....I'm responsible for my own workout!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Never liked going to the gym with anyone. Now I have a home gym.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Twice as much time to do half as much
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I prefer alone, thats me time.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Like the others ....Just Pandora and I :smokin: Going with someone or having someone try to conversate with me drives me nuts!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    On my own, unless my husband goes with me; because we each do our own thing. I like to zone out (or in, if you will) on what I'm doing and I don't like distractions. I've gone to the gym in the past with girlfriends, and even though we're working out, I feel like the talking impedes the kind of workout I get.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It really depends on which friend I am going with. One friend likes to lift with me and we push eachother, my other friend who I go with likes to do straight cardio and then go tanning.. so it depends on what mood I am in.

When I go by myself I find I am not at the gym as long, but I can accomplish a little bit more. My friends like to chit chat.
  • Gemalar
    Gemalar Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I go alone in the morn before work because no one is willing to get up at 5.30am to join me lol, but I go with a friend in the evenings
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have learned that you can rely on no one but yourself. I prefer it that way, because I have been let down too many times by others promises of meeting me at the gym and then never showing. I have now made friends with people at the gym that I take classes with. When they show great, when they don't that is fine too, I am there for me and me only.