Juicing/Cleanse Success Stories!

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
Don't need a bunch of negative nellies telling me it's impossible, I'm just trying to find someone, anyone, who has the proof that such a thing has worked, and that it's unattributable to a simple caloric deficit over time.

Criteria - - Anyone on the site who attributes a significant amount of sustained weight loss (defined as greater than 10% of your pre-regimen body weight, kept off for at least four months after regimen termination).

So, for instance, if you started at 200lbs, you lost 20lbs arriving at or below 180lbs, and stayed at or below that new weight for at least four months after getting there, and you attribute that to a cleanse or juice diet.

No stories about a friend of a friend, I'm looking for primary sources only, please.

Replies

• 55AngelH55
    Options
    It can def be done. I know someone who lost a lot of weight on a water-fast. He fasted for faith-reasons. I don't recommend it for weight-loss, though. It brutalizes your metabolism, and it has other health risks as well.
    Short answer: yes - can be done. Definitely not your wisest choice, though. :) Good luck! :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love the OP's that start their posts with the likes of "don't give me data that disproves my idea, only data that proves I'm right!" And we wonder why our country sucks at Science education....
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are defining as a cleanse, so this probably isn't it. About twice a month, I drink a cup of "Dieter's Green Tea." It moves things along faster, if you know what I mean. It just gives me a boost to work past plateaus and ToM bloating. I've lost over 10% and kept it off for almost a year, but I wouldn't say I lost it because of that 2x a month regimen. I will say, though, that the extra boost helped keep me going and focused. I lost because of eating clean and exercising, but the "mini-cleanse" keeps me on track.

Sorry that's not exactly the story you are looking for, but I hope it helps a little!

Good luck!
  • chadpoelman
    Options
    tried to delete an entry can't figure it out, so leaving this instead.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I love the OP's that start their posts with the likes of "don't give me data that disproves my idea, only data that proves I'm right!" And we wonder why our country sucks at Science education....

I love it when people comment on things they don't read.

Edited to clarify: I'm looking for evidence, not meta-studies, research synthesis, tertiary sources - - primary sources only. Does that make a little more sense?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    It can def be done. I know someone who lost a lot of weight on a water-fast. He fasted for faith-reasons. I don't recommend it for weight-loss, though. It brutalizes your metabolism, and it has other health risks as well.
    Short answer: yes - can be done. Definitely not your wisest choice, though. :) Good luck! :)

Friend stories don't count; primary sources only please.

Does anyone attribute >10% body weight decrease sustained for >4 months to a juice / fast / cleanse and not a simple caloric deficit?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    deadsies_zpsc8cb18c1.jpg
  • 55AngelH55
    Options
    lol
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OK. I have been able since 1-1-13 to lose 10 pounds by keeping my calorie intake and exercise routine 100% the same and the ONLY change I made was to eat between 12noon-8PM only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays,Saturdays, Sundays and between 4PM-8PM on Monday's and Fridays. My energy levels are the same if not better. My calorie deficit is to lose 1 pound a week and I eat back my exercise calories (running, strength training).

This version of intermittent fasting has worked well for me so far. Prior to this I was at a plateau that I couldn't seem to bust through. IF isn't for everyone but I'm fairly encouraged by my results so far. So, all else being the same I can attribute with a fair amount of confidence that the differentiator is IF.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    OK. I have been able since 1-1-13 to lose 10 pounds by keeping my calorie intake and exercise routine 100% the same and the ONLY change I made was to eat between 12noon-8PM only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays,Saturdays, Sundays and between 4PM-8PM on Monday's and Fridays. My energy levels are the same if not better. My calorie deficit is to lose 1 pound a week and I eat back my exercise calories (running, strength training).

This version of intermittent fasting has worked well for me so far. Prior to this I was at a plateau that I couldn't seem to bust through. IF isn't for everyone but I'm fairly encouraged by my results so far. So, all else being the same I can attribute with a fair amount of confidence that the differentiator is IF.

That's great! Good going. I've heard lots of good things about IF and for some people it really works. There's an eight hour stretch each day where I don't eat, too.

Thank you for your response and again, congratulations you sound like you're doing really well.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Gee, where are all the people who are always arguing that it works and never want to hear about calorie deficits and working out?!?!?! This is their time to shine!!
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with Juice feasts. About 18 months ago, I did a Juice only diet for 16 days, followed by daily juicing included in my diet for about 6 months after that, and regular juicing after that. I started at 107kg and was down to 98kg in 2 months. I then kept it off for a year, before I justified letting bad habits creep back in, and suffered the inevitable consequences.
    I was working a pretty physical job when the bad habits came back, so I could get away with it for a while. But last October, I changed to a fairly sedentary job and pretty quickly blew out to 108kg by last Christmas.
    So, for all of this January, I juice feasted again. I'm now down to 97 and still dropping.
    Because of the "reboot" nature of a juice feast, I no longer crave all the processed, sugar laden foods I was binging on at the end of last year. I no longer have the bouts of fatigue, even on night shift (kinda important when you're driving around a 320T dump truck) and I have the energy after a 13 hour shift to do the C25K program.
    I guess It's too early for this latest feast to fit your data, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be looking at a lesser weight in a couple of months, not a higher one.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I've had great success with Juice feasts. About 18 months ago, I did a Juice only diet for 16 days, followed by daily juicing included in my diet for about 6 months after that, and regular juicing after that. I started at 107kg and was down to 98kg in 2 months. I then kept it off for a year, before I justified letting bad habits creep back in, and suffered the inevitable consequences.
    I was working a pretty physical job when the bad habits came back, so I could get away with it for a while. But last October, I changed to a fairly sedentary job and pretty quickly blew out to 108kg by last Christmas.
    So, for all of this January, I juice feasted again. I'm now down to 97 and still dropping.
    Because of the "reboot" nature of a juice feast, I no longer crave all the processed, sugar laden foods I was binging on at the end of last year. I no longer have the bouts of fatigue, even on night shift (kinda important when you're driving around a 320T dump truck) and I have the energy after a 13 hour shift to do the C25K program.
    I guess It's too early for this latest feast to fit your data, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be looking at a lesser weight in a couple of months, not a higher one.

Sounds like quite a loss -- and way to go on C25K; great program.

Sorry in advance for all the questions but I'd like to try to get a picture of your technique: you started with a sort of sustained fast, I get that.
    When you say daily juicing, what do you mean?
    Do you have juice-only each day or in addition to other solids that supplement the juice?
    Do you know what your normal daily "calories out vs calories in" look like? (Trying to figure out if you eat more calories than you burn.)

Edited to clarify: Yes, the current fast ending is too recent to validate the sustainment block, but I'm asking about last year - before you put on the extra weight due to lifestyle changes.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Once you get to a weight you are satisfied with will you have to keep juicing as a part of your regular intake or will you be able to cut it out all together and maintain your progress with solid foods as the main source?
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump...I have a friend on here who juices. I'll ask her to weigh in here
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I do a vodka and diet soda fasting cleanse about every weekend.

Does that count?
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Does that count?

Valid question. ;-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    -- in for the proof --
    Or lack thereof.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 lbs on a 2-3 weeks juice diet (inspired by Fat, Sick and nearly Dead). However, I could not maintain that weight when I switched back to eating solids. I was not using MFP then, so did not log my daily food here.

I am now using MFP to reach my goal weight, and have juice as part of my daily food.

So from my experience, do add fresh juice to your diet, but don't be just on juice diet. Water is a sufficient cleanser.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Does that count?
    Valid question. ;-)
    I would say that the only thing which reasonably approaches Cr01502's described cleanse was the documentary "Leaving Las Vegas" about Nicolas Cage's fatal battle with alcoholism. I don't believe that it ended well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!