Gym on your own or with someone?

Options
124»

Replies

• allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I go alone.... but sometimes I do go with my husband (if our schedules allow us to go at the same time) and sometimes my best friend goes.... I'm okay with either! :)
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    I like it both ways. Each has it's perks, as others have said. I am on my fiance's membership, so we go together. It's great to have him as motivation to go even when I may not feel like it. It also feels like we are bonding even tho we aren't really talking (we each have in our own earbuds). A thumbs up from him and look from across the gym is nice tho : ). Before I joined with him, I would go alone and do cardio work, or with my mother and do classes.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    With someone else. I have like no motivation to go if others aren't.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out with a friend. It's definitely more motivating and makes me push a little harder. Work outs down on my own feel twice as long.
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    Options
    I can't stand working out with others.

What he said!!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My wife and I go to the gym together, but workout separately since we are on different fitness plans.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    depends on the day and the person.
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i go by myself. I really enjoy listening to music more than talking about the drama at the office. I have work friends that go on occasion but I usually just nod my head to most of them as they show up and wave back when they leave... i ck in on fb or respond to a text so that they know I am at the gym because quite a few of my female co-workers don't want to be there alone when we get done with work in the middle of the night. Me, I am not scared of anything. But not one of them has been there consistently. Just me:)

i recently hired a PT for my day time workouts, who cancelled on me the second day we were to meet... I text him that it was okay, I didn't need a spotter that day! LOL Hopefully he shows up today!
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I go alone all the time...On lifting days I wish I had a partner. Just having someone to assist me in pushing myself to failure and not be worried about dropping weight on myself.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer by myself because 1.) I'm way too self conscious, I finally got over my phobia of working out in front of strangers but if it's people I know I'm always worried they'll think I look ridiculous (I know, I know, this is silly), and 2.) I like to just kind of be off in my own world with my earbuds in. For me music always gets me going and if someone else is with me I either feel obligated to talk with them or if we're not talking things just seem awkward.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I kind of have the best of both worlds.

My neighbor and I will try to go on the same days, so we push each other to just go to the gym. Once we're there, we may do our warm up together, but after that we're pretty much on our own. Mainly because I do a lot more weight training than she does, and I work out longer also. However if I'm having an off day, I'll cut my workout short and leave with her and then we walk home together and use our social time for then.

We push each other to go, but there are also times when one of us will go on our own without the other. On days I intend to go beast mode like another poster said, I will go alone.
  • kimberly728
    Options
    i always have someone with me when i go (my sister goes on my buddy pass since she cant afford the gym) but we basically do our own thing. put our headphones in and do our workouts. its the same when my husband goes with me. its my workout my way, just show up and leave at the same time.
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like going with someone because knowing I am meeting someone forces me to get there. Once we get there, I do my own thing.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out on my own.. get in, get it done, get out. Most of my friends would want to hop from one area to another and I'm not really into that or talking when I'm running. #focused
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone. I can't stand the others at the gym who are on machines next to each other and talk the whole time. If I can hear you over my iPod and the background music at the gym, you're too f-ing loud. Go to a coffee shop if you want to chat. I'm there to work hard!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    all by my lonesome
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I <3 Gym Pals!