How do you like your quinoa????

krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
Hey everyone...just needing some quinoa ideas...what is your favorite way to eat it:) I just recently started eating vegetarian and would love some tasty quinoa recipes. Thanks a bunch

Replies

• Once I make it with pico de gallo and was not bad , also I put some in the vegetable soup ,
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    I use it in place of brown rice for stir fries when I need a faster meal.

I put it in Salad in a Jar.

Some really good recipes at allrecipes.com, though probably not as healthy as skinnytaste etc
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    with peanut sauce & red pepper flakes, yum!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Mixed with spinach and feta cheese.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    I like to use it in a stir fry, in place of the rice
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    I like it with cucumbers,a protein source, and garlic vinegrette. yesterday it was quinoa with avocados, tomatoes, some lime juice and onions for a Guac salad.
    I'll also have it with ricotta cheese and a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce - it really goes with anything!
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    I have been dying to try this:

http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/10/hummus-quinoa-cakes.html

Mmm. I like it with a little salt and pepper, or with a tsp of sesame oil.
  • jbuc07
    jbuc07 Posts: 914 Member
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for breakfast! Cinnamon, little sugar(sweetener/honey) *sigh... :)
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    I make it with wine or stock instead of water and I like to add Greek yogurt to it with a tad of cheese.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    I've never tried any of these recipes, but they are an interesting idea. A lot of "quinoa bite" type of recipes on here.

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    in my mouth :)

Jk. I tried this Mayan salad at a place in town and it had red quinoa, sweet potato, corn salsa, caggage, beets....bomb!
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    This recipe rocks - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Cilantro and cumin are your friends... You can also throw in a can/fresh diced tomatoes or steamed spinach if you want at add even more flavors...
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    I'll sometimes toss in some dried cranberries or other dried fruit while it's cooking (makes a semi-sweet pilaf that's good as a side dish, especially in fall and winter).

I've used a quinoa pilaf recipe before as a stuffing for squash.

I've sometimes mixed roasted fruits and veggies in with prepared quinoa, sometimes adding cheese.

I've also added small quinoa to green salads (so that there's more green salad/other salad ingredients than quinoa).

I also have had success with adding some fresh strawberries, basil, and plain yogurt (just enough to coat a little for flavor- not enough to actually appear visible as yogurt when mixed) to quinoa as a slightly warm salad. It's the only quinoa recipe that my husband has actually liked so far. :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    on somebody else's plate
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    With bacon....
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Bump! I need some good ideas. For some reason, quinoa intimidates me and I have no idea what to do with it!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Quinoa , red wine vinegar, oil, spinach, feta cheese, corn, fresh cilantro, shallots YUMM. Maybe a bit of s & p.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    For breakfast: boiled with chocolate unsweetened almond milk until cooked, mixed with blueberries and a mashed banana. :)

For dinner: boiled with chicken broth, squeeze of lemon overtop after serving
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    usually pour some cholula hot sauce on mine
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I have made it with pico before and was tasty.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I like to be creative with it. Lately, I've used it for stuffed peppers, boiled it with broth or bullion for flavor, used it as filler in casserole, and done shrimp fried "rice" with it. All pretty good:)
  • goodtf
    goodtf Posts: 23 Member
    I make a lot of soups to help w/ my dieting. i no longer use any of the normal high calorie pastas in them. I use Quinoa along w/ barley in my beef soup, along w/ the regular stuff, carrots, celery, and I add either turnips or sweet potatos, and mushrooms. Really works great in my soups. I use it all the time now
  • Tossed with a scrambled egg and leftover veggies...like a mock "fried" rice.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    I've found that any way you serve quinoa is delicious. Some of my favorites:

Quinoa burrito with light sour cream, taco sauce, shredded cheese, jalapeno peppers, lettuce, onion, tomato
    Quinoa with 1 tbsp hummus, mixed peppers (raw or frozen), and mixed frozen vegetables
    cumin pairs so well with it too!
    ive had it with spaghetti sauce too=delicious!
    quinoa, parsley, feta, chili seeds, chili powder, olive oil, vinegar
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    I made a dish last night that was SOOO GOOOD! Sorry, I just kind of thew some stuff together but its pretty hard to mess it up. You can add spices as you like and change up the ingredients.

Here goes:

Brown some ground turkey (I used 1/2 lb) and throw in some bell pepper slices, cumin, and garlic powder. Add a can of crushed tomatoes with the juice, a cup or so of salsa, worcestershire sauce, and a splash of hot sauce if you like. Stir in cooked quinoa (slightly more quinoa that turkey) and 1/2 cup black beans. You can also add some corn if you like. It would complement well. Let simmer for awhile. It shouldn't be too runny.

EDIT to note that I just realized you said vegetarian. Sorry! I think it would still taste delish without the turkey.

Another idea:

I love mixing some spaghetti sauce in with cooked quinoa and eating it with popcorn shrimp. Noms.
  • seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    I haven't tried this recipe but it really looks good...:smile:

Quinoa and Herb Burgers...
    http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/recipedetails?recipeid=61199&fm=internal_search
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    This recipe rocks - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Cilantro and cumin are your friends... You can also throw in a can/fresh diced tomatoes or steamed spinach if you want at add even more flavors...

THIS THIS THIS!!! Just made it again yesterday and it is really yummy - even my kids eat it. My daughter is eating vegetarian for Lent, so I made her soft tacos with a scoop of this, a little cheese, salsa and sliced avocado. YUM!!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    For breakfast: boiled with chocolate unsweetened almond milk until cooked, mixed with blueberries and a mashed banana. :)

For dinner: boiled with chicken broth, squeeze of lemon overtop after serving

AWESOME IDEA! Thanks!
  • I made a sort of red beans and rice but with quinoa, I just cooked the quinoa in some stock, then cooked up onions, garlic, kidney beans, some frozen veggies, and little bit of tomato paste in a pan, added cooked quinoa and about two tablespoons of cajun seasoning. It was the first time I ate quinoa and actually enjoyed it, lol.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    There are a TON of awesome quinoa recipes on Pinterest...I'm going to be trying out the burgers soon!!!!