5'4/5'5 Thick girls

Options

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yup! to most of the above.

I am 5'5 and my lowest weight in the past 15 years is 150. I have wide shoulders, a larger frame (based on wrist measurements) and have lots of muscle mass. I am a runner and have strong calves and thighs. I can carry lots of groceries and huge bags of laundry. I am strong! LOL. My wieght is pretty balanced but at 170 I've got more belly than I would like.

I was at 154 last November but gained 15 pounds back! ACK! I am now 170 (as of this morning) and my size 10s are feeling tight. Hopefully I can get back to the 154 and then all the way down to 145. Although - 150 might be ok too.

At 155 I am between a 6 and an 8. (A little tight in 6s, a little loose in 8s)

My goal is 145. That should put me solidly in 6. I don't think any thinner would not look good on my frame. My profile picture was at @157
  • Galonamission81
    Galonamission81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree.... And I'll be happy to get back down to 135. I don't think I could ever weigh 115-120.... Like ever.
    When I get to goal, I will see my doctor and see if he recommends I lose more weight. But I will be happy there.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No., I was 154 pounds" so called thick" which really means fat, and I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds my whole life then a 3-4 year span I got heavy, use to THINK I was cute, said the same thing you guys are saying, until I went to the doctor because one day I couldn't take it anymore. I had convinced myself I was fine at a size 8 and I was cute and ALL of that mess. Then the weight took its toll on my triglycerides and heart... I was only 34. Stats like a 65 year old . So you can convince yourself all you want, talking about sickly and what not, but truth be it, it's not the looks or whatever, it's your health. No such thing as thick, or big boned only fat. When my friend took a picture of me from behind ... Pshhhhh no. The one thing I do agree on is all body types are different , this is true, but small frames have no business carrying around and excess of 25 plus pounds, it's doing more damage than you realize.
    I get what you're saying, and perhaps you were only directing this at certain people who responded to this thread... But at around 140 on my 5'5" body, I'm in the healthy range of BMI, weight, and body fat. PLUS I wear a size 4 and small tops. I would NOT look better if I lost more weight. I'll keep doing my resistance & HIIT training and keep reducing my BF%, but I don't intend to weigh any less than I currently am maintaining at. And I don't need to. I was considered pre-diabetic previously and was on meds for it. I've not been on them since November and my blood work looks great.

I don't think most people meant this as an excuse to be overweight - I think it is a testament to the importance of a healthy weight RANGE and not a single ideal weight. Frame size and composition make a huge difference - not just the stand-alone measurements of height and weight.

Many of us don't have an easy, accurate way to measure body fat percentage or frame size, so we have to go by what we see and feel.

The high end of healthy can still be healthy.
  • Puggles04
    Options
    I am 5"3' and am aiming for 140lbs. After that, I am going to focus on toning and skip the scale, except for body fat % and occasionally checking weight. I have no idea what my smallest size might be for my frame. Mostly likely a 6 or 8. The lowest I have been is an 11, and I was about 15lbs overweight. Then again I might be a 4. I am a at a 14 right now and have over 40lbs to lose. O.o
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 140lbs, i feel overweight still and my target weight is 112lbs, i feel much better nearer this weight for my height
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm 5'4 and at 150 lbs I was a size 12-14. At 118, I'm a size 4 and don't look sick at all. I guess I was not blessed with curves, I naturally have the frame of a 13 year old boy.

Lifting heavy has given me the illusion of "curves" though, which is nice. I also eat 2000 calories so I'm definitely not "sick".

Me too. 5"5, 127 and I don't look sick. I was gaunt at 116-118.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    When I was seventeen, I weighed about 125 at 5'1". I thought I was terribly fat, but now that I look back at pictures of me at that age, I see that I looked great. I was healthy and attractive. At nineteen, my health began to suffer and I got down to 112. I looked like a starving cow. Though that weight would be in the "healthy" range for my size and frame, I was anything but healthy. The point that I am trying to make is that numbers don't necessarily indicate whether one is healthy or not.

Now, due to health issues and long-time corticosteroid treatment, I am at 186. My highest weight 6 months ago was 213, definately unhealthy, but due to reasons other than weight.

What's my goal? Today my goal is to lose 1 pound, and once I've lost that pound, my new goal will be to lose another pound. I can't pinpoint a "goal weight" at this point, because I have no way of knowing which number on the scale will indicate good health for me. I have to depend on lab results from my doctor, and then I have to pay close attention to how I feel. There's no cookie-cutter weight or shape for most of us. I suppose my true goal is to regain my health, my vitality, and improve the way I feel about myself.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No., I was 154 pounds" so called thick" which really means fat, and I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds my whole life then a 3-4 year span I got heavy, use to THINK I was cute, said the same thing you guys are saying, until I went to the doctor because one day I couldn't take it anymore. I had convinced myself I was fine at a size 8 and I was cute and ALL of that mess. Then the weight took its toll on my triglycerides and heart... I was only 34. Stats like a 65 year old . So you can convince yourself all you want, talking about sickly and what not, but truth be it, it's not the looks or whatever, it's your health. No such thing as thick, or big boned only fat. When my friend took a picture of me from behind ... Pshhhhh no. The one thing I do agree on is all body types are different , this is true, but small frames have no business carrying around and excess of 25 plus pounds, it's doing more damage than you realize.

Thick does not mean fat. I was a healthy BMI, healthy weight, no complaints from doctors who I see a lot because of my medical past with cancer. I was thick not fat. My stomach was flat, I just had a wide/big frame. I have a flat *kitten*, my hips are wide as hell and that is the only part of me that is wide so guess where my weight naturally runs to? If I were to be 120, my hip bones would be popping out and you could see all of my other bones. I have round shoulders, small neck, small wrist, etc. I think you're comments are rude as hell. No one is saying "I'm big boned" But there are different body frames. You mean to tell me that I'm going to have the same frame/size as someone else my height who is of a different nationality than me? No, we are all built differently. A 5/4 asian chick is not going to have the same body type of an Iranian girl the same height. Or a german girl, black, etc. That's just how the human body is.
    Also your internal health is going to be different depending on your fitness and nutrition/genetics. I know plenty of "small" people who are unhealthy from awful diets, smoking, lack of exercise, etc. and plenty of thick people who can out run or do anything with better stamina then those skinny. I had my heart tested regularly and other things and at 140 everything was in good health. So before you come on calling people fat and telling us we need to stop convincing ourselves other wise, educate yourself. Keep your rude "better than thou" comments to yourself because no one was doing any bashing of body types until you came along.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I was happy at 145. I was toned and athletic. I did get down to 120 once. And I look so sick. It was sad. So my goal is to get back to 145-155 :)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the thick girls. Carry on :)
  • preslyann50
    Options
    There's no cookie-cutter weight or shape for most of us. I suppose my true goal is to regain my health, my vitality, and improve the way I feel about myself.

love this!!!
  • prettypaleo67
    Options
    I hear you! I am 5'4", 159 pounds, and fit comfortably in a US size 6. My ideal weight is about 140-145 which puts me easily in a size 4. I have been below 140 before and looked terrible. I have a mesomorph body type so can carry a lot of weight for my height.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and don't look good if I get under 140. That is just too thin for my muscular frame. I know, I've been lower than that.
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you. The lowest I ever weighed was 140lbs, and at that weight, I was constantly freezing and miserable. I was eating exactly 1200 calories a day and working out 20 hours a week. Still, I couldn't even look at junk food without gaining weight. My personal happy weight is 150lbs and at that weight I wear a comfy size 8 and indulge every now and then. That's my goal now! Only you know how your body feels, and if you are not happy, get happy! Just because the other girls are 5'4" and 120 lbs doesn't mean that's for everyone. You know what makes you feel beautiful so do that!
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at 145 pounds right now. I wear a size 11. I have huuge hips (not complaining because it gives me my hourglass figure) but I am definitely not at my goal weight..the lowest size I think my hips would EVER be able to go would be an 8, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. Toning up and losing inches is what I want to do.
  • preslyann50
    Options
    I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVQbOUYE2I
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVQbOUYE2I

I believe she could be 106-115, that is within healthy range for that height. My issue is that she a) compared her weight and body to someone who is 4-5 inches taller than her and b) assumed that because someone who is taller than her and weighs more must be fat.
    Like I said, 140 at 5'5 and I have abs. I would hardly consider that carrying around 25 extra pounds.

There are definitely people who pull off 5'5 at 120lbs and don't look sickly. I would. We have different body types and muscle mass.
  • preslyann50
    Options
    If that is her in her picture I call bs on her weight. That was my point. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If that is her in her picture I call bs on her weight. That was my point. :)

Ahhhhh. I see. I miss stuff sometimes. :)
  • jenz_plan
    Options
    Realistically I would be happy at 140 Im 5'5 btw ..my smallest I was around 125 and it just didn't suit me..