What do you do post-binge?

Options
2»

Replies

• BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is you need to stop the binges. Clearly they are happening for two reasons:
    A) you are depriving yourself too much. Eat approximately 2,000 calories per day and excerise regularly. If you need more to lose excersice more.
    B) you are binging probably due to emotions, boredom, etc. Keep yourself busy and try to sit with your emotions.

Read: Rules of Intuitive Eating.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I used to have binges when I was your age as well, and I would feel like crap afterwards. One of the mistakes I would make, would be to go on a diet, be really 'good' for a day or so, then eat something which threw me 'off my diet', then I would feel bad, and eat more, then feel worse, then decide to just blow it all out and eat it all and start over tomorrow. I would repeat this cycle every few days, then get frustrated because I was 'working so hard on my diet', but not losing any weight.

I realize now how crazy that was. Why I thought that I could just start over the next day and everything would be ok, like I didn't just eat 1000 extra calories, was just denial.

I am a lot older now and much wiser in many ways, but I still can have times when I eat something off plan and start to panic, and get down on myself. What I know now is that being honest with myself is the key. Pretending I didn't eat something doesn't make it not happen. If I eat something I shouldn't have, I just log it. Admit it. I ate it. Now, I can either continue to eat more, or I can stop there and immediately get back on track.
    100-200 calories isn't going to destroy my whole week. But 1000 cals might. Especially if I do it 4-5 times a week!

Learning to take responsibility for my actions, in all areas of my life, has made life so much easier. It isn't fun or easy to admit mistakes, but generally when I own up to them, they turn out to not be as bad as I thought they were.

I had a day last week that I didn't log anything til the end of the day, and I thought I had gone way over my cals, but after logging everything, it was only 130 cals over my goal. That wasn't that bad. If I had gotten down on myself and felt like I had 'blown' my diet, then I could easily have gone over 500 or more, and it would have made an impact on my week, but it didn't.

So the plan you have for not eating anything unless you log it, is great. No matter how ugly it is, LOG IT!. You cannot change what you don't acknowledge. If you do this, you may find that it isn't as bad as you thought, and therefore you can have hope of salvaging the day, or the week.
    YOU are in control of what goes in your mouth. Do not let the food, or guilt, control you. Own it. Then you can master it.
  • netski19
    Options
    I would just work out more the next day, and eat better, too. Don't beat yourself up over it because guilt and disappointment might just make you binge again. Shake it off (literally) and remind yourself that everyday is a God given chance for all of us to be better ourselves.
  • psgsummers
    Options
    I'd say the best thing to do is face up to the binges.
    Acknowledging that they're happening, and understanding why you do it is the best way of controlling, and stopping unhealthy eating cycles.

I'm sure everyone on this thread will understand how hard facing up the things we eat. Everything we eat has little secrets we don't want to put n our food trackers - but truth is, 2 sugars and cream went into the coffee this morning: that stack of toast at 3am doubled your calorific intake.

Make sure you're not starving yourself during the day, because that can lead to attacks of insomnia which result in detrimental midnight feasting. Personally, when I used to go into binge mode, I'd eat literally anything (and EVERYTHING) in sight. Dried fruit, jars of mustard, frozen peas.. Half cooked cous cous was a pretty low stage. As was the dish of takeout rice my housemate threw in the bin.

I combatted it by making sure I had strict mealtimes, which seems to have done the trick!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I have a healthy breakfast the next day and then hit the gym - then I usually come back to my senses.

I'm a world class champion level binge eater and recently posted a similar request for help . . . and someone helped me realize that a huge part of my problem is carb addiction. I crave carbs, I eat them, my blood sugar spikes and then drops and I crave more. I've only just started keeping my carbs below the 55% recommended on MFP and already feel better - and less prone to binging.

I don't like protein much, but if I'm hungry and make myself eat a higher protein meal, I don't overeat nearly as much and NOT binging becomes a lot easier. I can easily polish off a family size bag of Twizzlers in one day, but no way I'm going to eat 4-5 pieces of chicken.

I've usually been more successful at ADDING things to my diet than removing them, so I still eat Twizzlers, chocolate, cookies etc. - but only AFTER I've had some real food, the kind that comes from plants and animals and not out of packages.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I must agree with others that having a section for 'late night binges' is setting you up for failure. Take the word 'Binge' out of your vocabulary and definitely off of your food diary. Change it to a time frame, or 'snacks' or 'dinner' and change your protein drink to 'snack' or 'pre-dinner' or 'post workout', whatever, but definitely get the word 'binge' off of your diary so you do not see it every day.

You may not think you are planning to binge every day, but with it set up like that, that is exactly what you are doing. You see it, you will do it.
  • gilmoregirlsr
    gilmoregirlsr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Reza, I'm a binger too!!! Actually just finished binging and logged it all in.
    I would suggest picking up Geneen Roth's book Women Food and God. I'm reading it right now and it get's you to take a good hard look at what's going on behind the eating. It's a hard book and I find I have to leave it alone for periods of time but after yesterday's and today's binges, I think it's time I get reading again.
    Feel free to add me if you just need someone to talk it out with.
    Try not to beat yourself up about it (I know easier said then done) but this only feeds into the behavior.
    I'm here for you are a fellow binger trying to beat the deamons.
    Gil
  • kmadki4
    kmadki4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I went on a 5,000 calorie binge last week and felt horrible. I seriously considered restricting my calories drastically for the next few days to make up for it, but I decided I would instead just move on and resume eating normally the next day. I really tried to not let what I did get to me. After a week, I look and feel back to normal. It is really important not to be too hard on yourself or restrictive afterwards, because that can just lead to the stress and anxiety that causes a binge in the first place.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I will take the word binge out of my diary, good point everyone. My calorie goal is 1900 since im trying to lose a stubborn 7 lbs. My TDEE is around 2200. By the time I get home from work and the gym, ive usually eaten around 1700-1800 calories, so I am eating enough, and alot of fiber and protein. Going thru my diary, i see ALOT of carbs which spike blood sugar, causing more hunger. So my goal is to spread my carbs out more evenly. Last night, i woke up in the middle of the night but didn't binge! I just had some carrots and cottage cheese and two mini shrimp spring rolls (a total of 150-200 calories). I did eat more than I planned for for dinner because I was so hugnry after the gym...my protein shake and ostrim jerky wasn't enough to satisfy or fill me up even though it was around 210 calories. SO in addition to the spinach and chicken, I ended up nibbling on carrots and less than half of a peanut butter sandwich. Still, it could've been worse.

I just finished reading Geneen Roth's Breaking Free from Emotional Eating. I found that she didn't give many tips, mainly experience. I'm also scared to let myself eat what i want when i want it. I feel that if i do that, I'll go thru so much junk food and pastries that ill make myself sick. BUt I'm trying it slowly. THe other day when my friends and i ate out, i ordered my first fast food burger in a few months (and it satisfied me more than the veggie burger would).

THanks again all!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I just dont mull over it. *kitten* happens and you have to live your life!! But if I know I had a really big lunch or eaten something that wasnt so great, I make absolutely certain I go to the gym that day. Work really hard, and don't beat yourself up over nothing.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Move on. Stressing about it makes me want to eat more because I stress-eat. Stuff happens, that's life. Don't think it's okay, but move on.