Are you a horder or a thrower-a-wayer?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Total hoarder. But it makes me stressed because I have too much stuff. At least it's clean stuff... But still. =(
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    throw awayer.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lol on some of the responses on here :laugh: especially that floppy disk hoarder and the Loser lady. lol

i persoally dont call myself a "hoarder"......i like to have stuff for "just in case." And i usually end up using them fyi. like, ok, my neighbor threw away a perfectly good food processor so i took it home with me :blushing: and even though i havent used it yet (goin on 3 yrs) u just never know!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I throw things away. If it is not seasonal and hasnt been used in 6 months it gets thrown away ( with the exception of things that are needed every few years like dress up clothes or my husbands tools) I do not keep things. My husband used to be very bad about keeping things but not anymore. His mom is a hoarder though. To the point she needs help. She buys things that no one wants or needs and it will stay in packages for years. Her home was so filthy when she moved in with us. She is allowed o have whatever she wants in her room as long as it is not a fire hazard but has to keep things outside her room to minimum, of course she is allowed to have her things out just not her purchases in packages and her DVD collection is over 2,000 DVD's, she left most of them at her old place and only brought about 2,000. They are in garage in bins. I am going crazy
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Hoarding seems to be in my DNA... I saw it with my great-grandmother... my grandmother was tidy and not as bad (but still has some clutter)... then I see it in my mom... I honestly struggle with not keeping EV.ER.Y. thing... which does drive my husband crazy... but he lets me have some concessions.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I throw things away, I can't stand clutter. My daughter is a hoarder, she gets upset if I throw away an old Burger King crown (or something just as silly). I have to clean the kids' rooms once a month or more while they're gone so I can get rid of stuff w/o a fight. My husband isn't a hoarder, really, but he doesn't get rid of clothes. He has things that I have never seen him wear (and we've been together almost 10years), but he says "I might have a need for this outfit/shirt/pants in the future". Really?! We have a huge walk in closet and his clothes take up 3/4's of it.

OMG, YOU'RE SO MY MOM!!! I f'n hated when I'd come home from school and she had cleaned my room and thrown my things away! OMG, I'm getting upset at just the thought. It feels like a total violation. That Burger King crown probably meant the world to your daughter. LOL. Seriously, though. People keep things for a reason. I could see if she kept the burger wrapper. LOL
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If I haven't used something in 6 months, and it's not a tool, or something that I need occasionally, I throw it out...

My wife though, if she thinks we MIGHT need it in the next 60 years, will hold on to something. I do a lot of clearing out when she's not home :D I figure if she hasn't noticed it being "gone" for 2 weeks, it actually goes in the trash :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Get rid of it. I don't know or care what it is, throw it in the trash, I don't need it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    This is awful but I have to get rid of stuff at other people's houses! We don't have trash pick up because my husband just takes our kitchen trash into his work and throws it in the dumpster. If I try and throw out something in a black trash bag he'll pick through it and pull out all kinds of useless junk! So I take stuff to my MIL's house or send it home with my parents for them to throw out when they visit. LOL!

Lisa, you know that your MIL goes through it and saves everything, right? You'll get to throw it away agian when they die. Win/win?
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I hold onto things for a little while and then get rid of them. It feels great to clean out and start fresh a couple times a year!
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hoarder and I like to keep spaces as bare as possible. He's even still got his college study notes from 20 years ago (5 boxes worth!). I tried to get him to throw that junk away, but he insists that one day our children may make use of them. Because, you know, hastily written notes from 2 decades ago on what's probably out-dated study methods so beats getting a current study guide from the library. :huh:
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am a serious throw away person because my dh is a hoarder. He would keep EVERYTHING if I let him. We go round and round on the issue but he's starting to come around. He even cleaned out a good portion of the basement recently and got rid of a lot. I was so proud of him because that's really hard for him.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am a serious throw away person because my dh is a hoarder. He would keep EVERYTHING if I let him. We go round and round on the issue but he's starting to come around. He even cleaned out a good portion of the basement recently and got rid of a lot. I was so proud of him because that's really hard for him.

What encouraged him to finally throw things away? I need advice!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I used to save -- now, throw away.

Here's my criteria -
    If no longer useful, out dated, out of style, not functioning, doesn't fit, doesn't look good on me anymore, or I haven't used -- it goes to charity, the trash or to other who would use it.

My man - he's a saver. Sigh, it does cause challenges between us.

For example, I threw away photo albums that had pictures of me and my ex husband. My dear, sweet man, saw the photo albums in the trash and looked at the pictues. Some photos he pulled out because he thought I looked really cute in my late teens/early 20s. (um, those pictures are 20 years old).

Gotta say, it is very touching that my husband to be (wedding is September) likes younger pictures of me -- even if my ex-husband is in the picture.

Lesson learned -- If I really want something to leave the house -- I need to use black plastic bags and tie up the trash bag when full (or partially full). Put bag to curb.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Throw it away person too. I cant stand clutter!! argg
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I horde everything... including people.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.

One never knows when one might need that 5-1/4" internal floppy drive again. I've got three of them in the basement just in case.

Awesome, I have a case of DIX to RJ45 transceivers and a case of 3c503 cards!

I am an "at capacity" electronics hoarder. As soon as I run out of room, I offer up a bunch of junk on several mailing lists and then toss it out if no one claims it. I have no emotional connection to any of it - I just don't bother to throw it out until it becomes a problem.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to be a hoarder, and didn't even realize it. My mom would buy TONS of crap that was literally pointless-- ceramic dolls and figurines, Swarovski crystal animals, decorative vases and flowers, every kitchen tool known to man, a million different kinds of hand towels, you name it we had it. And no matter how long we'd had it, we kept it too, even if it was starting to look kinda crappy. We were taught how to patch jeans and sew buttons onto our old clothes, even though we got new stuff every month that never even got worn until years later. We had closets stuffed with junk and papers, and bins upon bins of miniatures, photographs, books and DVDs, records, decorative statues, etc etc etc. And my room was always cluttered with crap I barely looked at.

However, starting with my two and a half years at college in Pennsylvania (and an eight hour drive), I quickly learned that lugging around all that meaningless *kitten* was a serious pain in the *kitten*. I began to throw-away like nobody's business, although I still clung on to stupid things that I didn't need, such as boxes of jewelry I never wore, makeup and beauty products I never used, and books I'd purchased in elementary school through the Scholastic catalogues. It wasn't until I got kicked out of my stepmother's house that I truly began to expunge most of my material possessions, and it was very liberating. Now, everything I own could fit comfortably into a van. And I know that one day, when I have a better income, I will want a house with nice things in it. But moving around a lot has taught me to appreciate what I do have, and to not waste time and effort holding onto what I don't need!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    DVD collection is over 2,000 DVD's, she left most of them at her old place and only brought about 2,000. They are in garage in bins. I am going crazy

When living w/an ex boyfriend, there was a lot of DVDs in the house.
    He got kicked out and 1/2 of the DVDs went.

Ok, ZUMU -- will buy unwanted DVDs, CDs, and games. Typically .80 per DVD -- company does pay for shipping.
    I used the money earned towards my wedding expenses.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lean more towards hoarder, but mostly for things that have sentimental value or are unique. I've kept old clothes if they're interesting, because it's fun to revisit them, and I adore Halloween so some old stuff makes good costumes. I don't keep stacks of newspaper or empty soda bottles.

There's a lot of items I'd get rid of if the city made it easier to dispose of them. Other communities have garbage restrictions like "5 bags plus one large ticket item a week" for a $100 a year garbage fee. In our city, you pay for special city bags at $2 each, with a 30 pound limit on each one. So getting rid of big stuff that won't fit in a bag is a pain. Our old mayor used to have a citywide cleanup once a year, where for $20 you could put almost anything out. Our new mayor doesn't.