RANT - need a smart *kitten* response = please help

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I answer the phones at my job. My biggest pet peeve is these jack-wads who see a phone number on their caller ID, don't recognize the number, and since no message is left, feel compelled to call the number to see how called them.

The convo goes something like this>

Me: Good afternoon, ABC Company, how may I help you?
JW: who is this?
Me: You have reached ABC Company, how may I help you?
JW: Who is this? someone called me from this number; it was on my called ID?

And then I try to be polite and explain that maybe someone miss dialed an outgoing phone call, and since no message was left, a call back was not necessary. But after about the 5th call of the day, I just want to go off on them.

Any suggestions for a smart *kitten* comment that won't get me fired?

Thanks, rant over (I think)

Replies

• Calliope610
    Options
    Come on, I haven't been on this board very long, but I KNOW there are plenty people here who have a wicked humor.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!
    yup
    Maybe you should leave a message apologizing for calling the wrong number. Be professional, I hate when I get missed calls with no message. It sounds to me like you are in the wrong line of work.
    :drinker:

OP, I think your thread may have backfired on you?
  • BigTnew
    BigTnew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should leave a message apologizing for calling the wrong number. Be professional, I hate when I get missed calls with no message. It sounds to me like you are in the wrong line of work.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just hang up?

I don't know why people would bother to call back if no message was left, but that's just me...
  • staceymoyer1
    staceymoyer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Perhaps Guitar Jerry doesn't have to answer phones and deal with this stupidity multiple times a day.

I'd respond with the fact that there are over 500+ lines with employees that may have miss-dialed the caller, which one would he/she like you to check with first?

Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Options

If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, I deduce that it was deemed unimportant, so I don't worry myself about it.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I get that and more all day too being an admin. assistant. We also have a warehouse so I deal with truck drivers all day who have no idea what they are doing. I had one call me 11 times this morning asking me to open the door. I had people running around the warehouse looking for him because he claimed to be outside the warehouse. I informed him he was not at the right address, or called the wrong number when I noticed him sitting out on the street. I eventually got him inside the gate but the calls with the most rediculous questions did not end there..
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Missed call with no message just gets deleted from my phone. I don't spend any time trying to figure it out and I don't really understand people who do. But that's just me.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Meh, it doesn't waste my time, as I don't call them back. If the unknown caller doesn't leave a message, I don't care enough to find out who they are or what they want.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I answer the phone for my company too, and while this pisses me off, I WOULDN'T respond unprofessionally because I don't want to give myself OR my company a bad name. You never really know who it is on the other line of the phone - could bite you in the *kitten* if you aren't careful.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I don't get this - if someone didn't take the time to leave a message why would you waste time trying to figure out why you were called? Back in the days before caller ID you never even knew that you had been called and life moved on perfectly fine....

ETA - I also have this policy with my friends and family. If you call and don't leave me a message I'm going to assume that it's not important so if I'm busy I don't feel it's important to call them right back.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    You don't get to have a smart *kitten* response - you're representing a company. Suck it up and move on with your day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People who have never worked in customer service have no idea how difficult it can be. Don't let it get to ya. I can't think of a response at the moment, but I'll come and post one if I do.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I understand. While I'm not on the phones, I do have to deal with lazy employees and pointless non-productive meetings. I'm sorry I really don't have a suggestion that Wouldn't Get you Fired.
    Sorry my saying doesn't relate to your situation.
    One of my favorite sayings at my work (that I can't say or I would get fired) -
    "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine!"

Smile.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    911 what's your emergency?
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    The jerk store just called and their running out of you.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Now the toner sales people... that's a different story...... I have a field day with them!