No Carbs after 6!

Options

Replies

• jnknzxD
    jnknzxD Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Carbs are unfairly demonised. But white rice and pasta are not as "good" as brown/wholemeal alternatives which take longer to digest.

personally I have to eat when convenient, and if I don't have a proper meal in the evening I can't sleep.

As others have said, just have a good balanced meal, and keep your calorie deficit going.

What do you think about the 3 meals a day, 2/3 snacks in between? Or eating every 3-4 hours? @Cr01502 as well.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    eat when u hungry
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Carbs are unfairly demonised. But white rice and pasta are not as "good" as brown/wholemeal alternatives which take longer to digest.

personally I have to eat when convenient, and if I don't have a proper meal in the evening I can't sleep.

As others have said, just have a good balanced meal, and keep your calorie deficit going.

What do you think about the 3 meals a day, 2/3 snacks in between? Or eating every 3-4 hours? @Cr01502 as well.

Eat at a meal frequency that suits you.

If you find that eating 5 times a day keeps you full and prevents you from over eating then by all means go for it.

Just don't believe that there's any "boost" to your metabolism by eating 5 meals a day versus 3 meals a day.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    @Cr01502; Hmm.. Okay so stay within certain calorie intake, and follow the Daily intake guide?

Perfect!

Exactly
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    @Chad; Sounds common from some people I've talked too..

@Cr01502; Is there such 'boost' for the metabolism? Does that just come from exercise?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no relevance to weight loss/gain ... eat carbs whenever u want just make sure u within your calorie goals because thats what counts

this!
  • Cr01502
    Options
    @Chad; Sounds common from some people I've talked too..

@Cr01502; Is there such 'boost' for the metabolism? Does that just come from exercise?

Yes exercise and staying more active boosts your metabolism.

Eating boosts your metabolism (the amount of food not the frequency of food)

Eating a high protein, low GI diet will boost your metabolism as these things are harder to digest.
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    Well the thing is, the past year I've been quite active, doing things such as running around, jumping around, walking from my place to another place etc but I don't seem to go anywhere with it, so this is why I wanted to try the no carb after 6pm thing.
    I've half majority of my proportions and I did lose weight, but I stopped losing weight and bounced back and forth between 85 to 83kgs. Any suggestions? Just be more active I'm assuming though? S:
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoe or bulgur (google it, it's just like rice).
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Well the thing is, the past year I've been quite active, doing things such as running around, jumping around, walking from my place to another place etc but I don't seem to go anywhere with it, so this is why I wanted to try the no carb after 6pm thing.
    I've half majority of my proportions and I did lose weight, but I stopped losing weight and bounced back and forth between 85 to 83kgs. Any suggestions? Just be more active I'm assuming though? S:

1) Start tracking your calories accurately.

2) For as active as you say you are 1250 calories probably isn't enough for you. I would change your settings to 'active'

3) I would also recommend adding strength training to your routine as it will help to improve body composition.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Okay, so firstly I'd like to say that I've just come back after a year or maybe even more, but I'm now determined and motivated [for real this time, and I have a man by my side who is a health freak who will be pushing me along <3]

Now my question at the moment is that, I'm of an Asian descendent and our main ingredient in most of our dishes is white rice. I'm following a rule of not having Carbohydrates after 6pm, but I don't know what to replace rice for dinner [sometimes I come home late from TAFE], at the moment I have been having wholemeal chicken and salad wraps, but I want a selection of things that I can use to replace rice or any Carb based foods...

Anyone doing the same No-Carbs-After-6? What's an alternative to rice/bread?

Quinoa... a high protein pseudocereal that can substitute for rice, although it still has carbohydrates, its high in protein also. google me.
    I like yogurt and fresh fruit for late night snacks, along with pumpkin seeds. (like most seed n nuts, high in calories so be careful)
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey, you probs know already but wraps are carbohydrates ?
    If you don’t want to be eating carbs after 6 then your best bet is just to team either fish or chicken with salad or warm veggies, i.e. Salmon with broccoli and peas or chicken with butter nut squash and onion gravy etc :)
    Hope this helps abit! However i also agree with the posts that say just stick to your calorie intake and you'll loose weight, there’s no harm in a few new potatoes or a piece of bread at 7 o’clock as long as it fits into your calories goal.
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    CR; well it's been the past 6-8 months that I've been that active, so raise my calorie intake then? Hmm I like the sound of that =D
    I need to buy some dumbella, know a cheap area? Sorry for asking so much, you just seem a bit knowledgable.

Mark; yummm yoghurt, I'm at the groceries at the moment so ill probably grab some of that now and fruits!

Carmella; yeah I know but I didn't think as much carbs
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Replace your carbs with vegetables. Try sweet potato as an alternative! :)

That would still count as a carb as per the natural sugar content. But I also would agree with one of the previous posters that meal timing is not as important as overal calorie count and exercise execution.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

1) Start tracking your calories accurately.

2) For as active as you say you are 1250 calories probably isn't enough for you. I would change your settings to 'active'

3) I would also recommend adding strength training to your routine as it will help to improve body composition.

Great advice. With weight loss it's really important to remember that 80% of it is about what you eat. Get that right and use exercise to keep your metabolism ticking over and to make sure that your body is in great shape when the weight goes.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I agree that timing of meals has nothing to do with weight loss or fat storage. Eat when you want to, just stay within your goals. I don't personally snack. I eat three meals and don't find myself hungry in between.

Substitutions for rice--I'm a low carber and just eat more veggies instead of worrying about what can substitute for a grain or side. It doesn't have to be complicated. Substitute whatever you like.

Sweet potatoes are GREAT, so healthy and tasty. Yes, they have some carbs, but are not like white potatoes at all in that they don't cause a massive insulin response when you ingest them. If you want to learn all about the benefits of sweet potatoes, google Ashley Tudor. She's really into talking about how fantastic they are, and has written a book called Sweet Potato Power.

Ok, that said, as far as low carb diets and starches go, white rice isn't evil. It's actually one of the starches a number of low carbers eat (in moderation, of course). Have you considered just eating less of it with your meal and seeing how you do?

I just read something about you eating 1250 calories--that is awfully low. Why so low?
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Many health articles agree, it's not when you eat, it is HOW MUCH you eat during the day. If you don't eat a lot during the day, eating at night will not put on weight
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    I'm a 33 year old Asian woman who loves to eat white rice at least twice a week (check my diary lol). I can honestly tell you that time of day has no bearing on when you should eat. I had 2 cups of cooked white rice with some spam last night at 8pm (late dinner) and then some fruit at 9:30pm as a snack (was supposed to have it for lunch, but forgot). I've been doing things like this for 9 months now and still consistently lose weight. Carbs are not your enemy. Neither is the time of day. Just eat a little less then your maintenance and move your body more. That's it. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I hate this myth. It just refuses to die. :grumble: